TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was trying to plan a Spring Break trip and noticed that Anakeesta has opened Rail Runner.

https://www.anakeesta.com/rail-runner/

Surprised it was not mentioned in this thread.

So has anyone ridden it yet? How's it compare with the other mountain coasters?

(I've ridden them all except Ober's)

$22 just to get in at Anakeesta has been a turn off considering what they include (mostly shopping like Ober) and the extra $13 for Rail Runner makes it rather pricey compared to the others (even with half price re-rides).

At least Ober has more to offer (depending on time of year).

For those that may have missed it, Dollywood just slipped into a blog post that a Wildwood Grove won’t open until May....

No slip. May has been the target opening for months.

From November

I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much, Pete recently said they are aiming for a May opening.
I've seen it mentioned other places too.

Pete said May on Feb 23 at Winter Warm Up and it was bit a surprise to anyone.

Edited by TEDodd

Yea it was always slated for May, as you can see from today on the cam they still have a long way to go. The majority of the work is landscaping, the tree needs to be put in place (I heard it was delayed) and Wildwood Creek needs finished. The buildings have went up faster than anything, it just seems to be getting all the trees, rocks, paths into place.

1C6E2943-1381-4BDA-901D-466AE9D3A5C5.thumb.jpeg.2634f928daaf0231d5ddfa4d4fcdc0f3.jpeg

For those that may have missed it, Dollywood just slipped into a blog post that a Wildwood Grove won’t open until May....

From November

I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much, Pete recently said they are aiming for a May opening.
I've seen it mentioned other places too.

Pete said May in Feb 23 at Winter Warm Up and it was bit a surprise to anyone.

Right, but this is the first time (that I know of) that they’ve put it on any of their “public” marketing material.

I took some time off of work to celebrate my 40th birthday (big deal), and decided to take a little road trip south. We'll hitting up Carowinds on Tuesday 4/16 and then heading over to Smoky Mountain NP area on Wednesday the 17th. I definitely want to hit up Dollywood as I've never been to the park, but I also want to do some hiking/sightseeing, and doing some Gatlinburg activities as well. I have a few questions I hope some of you more experienced folks can help with.

1) Alpine Coaster - Really want to do one of these, so I'd like some suggestions on the best in the area. I won't mind doing 2, since I'm pretty sure my girlfriend will want to go to Goats on the Roof because... well, goats.

2) We enjoy staying in cabins, so we're looking for something for 2 people in the area for a few nights. Usually the type with a hot tub on the back patio. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there a roughly a billion in the area. I also see that Dollywood has some as well. Is there any special benefit to the Dollywood Cabins? (i.e early entry or something like that)

3) Am I absolutely insane planning 1 day for Dollywood? I have never been so I might try to squeeze 2 (or 1 and a half) days in, but I also want to do some of the other things in the area. I want to be home on that Sunday for Easter, so if I stay another day I would either have to drive through the night or maybe drive halfway, get a cheap motel room, and drive the rest on Sunday.

4) Can you please predict with .00000001% accuracy if Lightning Rod will be running on the day I go? I'm kidding, I hope it is running, but we shall see.

Thanks.

^ Never been, but from all that I've read here at TPR....two days would be better for a Dollywood visit, IMhO.

If you're doing the park for the coasters and thrill rides only, well then probably one day would be enough.

Happy birthday! If you're going to do one day at Dollywood, budget for a Time Saver Pass. There's a lot to do. We actually spent 3 days there when we went a couple of years ago.

Goats on the Roof and Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster are both great, and right down the road from each other. You won't be disappointed.

I've been on Ober, Gatlinburg Mountain, Rowdy Bear, Goats on the Roof, and Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster. SMAC is the longest, and IMO best. Lighting package is awesome at night too. Still can't believe this area already has 4 1/2 new credits since I last visited in Dec 17.

More than 1 Day at Dollywood is recommended. They have like 40 rides. They also have sit down restaurants, at least 5 shows running at any time, and it's large to walk around. 1 day is squeezing it in. Be sure to park at Patriot Park off the main drag of Pigeon Forge and take the Dolly Trolley into the park, you will save a bunch on parking and not really lose on time because the shuttles are frequent and go directly to the gate entrance.

I thought that it would be touristy for some reason, but last trip we did the Cades Cove Loop and Abrams Falls Trail. I've basically done the whole GSMNP throughout my childhood except that spot, and it ended up being probably my favorite place in the park. Alum Cave trail also matches its hype.

One other experience you MUST have in Pigeon Forge is family-style home cooked dining. The Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant or the Old Mill both do this, Paula Deen's is another. Unlimited side refills, way too much food, for around $20 a person. Absolutely wonderful.

Have fun!

Edited by BlahBlahson

^ I wholeheartedly agree with you! Everything at Dollywood is top-notch relative to what kind of attraction it is, and should be experienced at least once.

And yes, the Rocky Top Mountain Coaster is the closest one, I believe only 5 minutes down Veterans Parkway from Dollywood

Right, but this is the first time (that I know of) that they’ve put it on any of their “public” marketing material.

I wouldn't exactly call those blog posts "marketing" material.

2) We enjoy staying in cabins, so we're looking for something for 2 people in the area for a few nights. Usually the type with a hot tub on the back patio. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there a roughly a billion in the area. I also see that Dollywood has some as well. Is there any special benefit to the Dollywood Cabins? (i.e early entry or something like that)

https://www.dollywood.com/PigeonForge/Included-With-Your-Cabin-Stay

I believe the "with tickets" suff is if you buy tickets as part of the reservation.

DW cabins are pricey compared to most in the area. You have to decide if the extras are worth the higher price. (As a gold pass holder they aren't)

If you decide on 2 days, I'd suggest passes. Make one gold, the parking and discounts pay for it pretty quick.

The gold discount for FastPass matches the cabin stay discount, covers parking, and pass get early access too.

As for cabins, I've rented through Aunt Bugs a few times. More recently I've used VRBO instead. Better pricing. Really worth looking around.

I really liked the convenience of the ones down McCarter Hollow Rd past the DW entrance. Not the greatest views (still nice), but the location made up for it.

Sadly most of the close places I stayed in the past are no longer listed the same way. They change companies and names and I can't find them anymore.

From my experience it probably won't but just hope for the best and it might actually be running.

Based on the end of last year and comments from Pete at Winter Warm Up, I expect it to be up opening weekend and running consistently.

3) Am I absolutely insane planning 1 day for Dollywood? I have never been so I might try to squeeze 2 (or 1 and a half) days in, but I also want to do some of the other things in the area. I want to be home on that Sunday for Easter, so if I stay another day I would either have to drive through the night or maybe drive halfway, get a cheap motel room, and drive the rest on Sunday.

Thanks.

In the spring Dollywood has the "Festival of Nations" going on. Other than Christmas, this is my favorite festival. The shows are top notch and they bring in performers from around the world. I would plan on a full two days to see everything. The Steel Drum Band from Trinidad / Tobogo is amazing. The change up their shows so not every one is the same.

Quick question about the Time Saver Pass if anyone is familiar with how they operate it, it looks like the pass itself is essentially a punch card with 10 slots for 10 redemption's (but only one for Lightning Rod and Dropline), but my questions is can one pass be used for multiple people until the 10 punches are gone, or is it strictly enforced as 10 passes per person? I'm going with my two younger kids next week and would love to use some of my passes to take them on Fire Chaser but don't really want to buy them their own Time Saver since that's pretty much the only ride on the pass that they're tall enough for.

When I bought it, they gave me a necklace with 10 punches. It'd be easy to transfer between people but I do not know if one TimeSaver could be used to admit multiple people with multiple punches at once on the same attraction.

When I bought it, they gave me a necklace with 10 punches. It'd be easy to transfer between people but I do not know if one TimeSaver could be used to admit multiple people with multiple punches at once on the same attraction.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I mean 10 punches is 10 punches no matter who uses them right? I'll check it out though, I'm not trying to break their rules or anything but maybe we'll get 2 passes and take turns on Firechaser (then bonus rides for me!).

We're also going on a Monday so crowds might pretty light anyways.

Season Passholder Day went well. To my knowledge LR was up most of day, 1 train operation. Went down once, but stayed a fairly low wait. Mystery Mine never opened today. Mountain Sidewinder had signage removed and from the map. Festival of Nations food major step up from last year. All the drinks were good in my party, I had poutine (Canada) which was great. The Cuban food was also highly rated, as were the South Korean nachos. Wildwood Grove from Wild Eagle / Drop Line looks like all the rides and structures are about in place, looks like mostly landscaping is left.