TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

And I asked when their next thrilling expansion would be... I was VERY surprised that Pete Owens even gave me an answer (2021)! I’ll defintely be returning for that.

Maybe something in Owen's Farm? I mean, that section already has Barnstormer, but it doesn't have any roller coasters. I would say a launched one that goes out of the barn or a wild mouse, but Dollywood already has FireChaser and Lightning Rod, plus Wild Mouses aren't major thrills, so what do you think?

I know we're getting ahead of ourselves since this expansion isn't even open yet but i'll go ahead and predict a B&M hyper (or Mack hyper). This would be the "star" attraction of Wildwood Grove.

Everything in these updates looks amazing. Really hoping to find time to get back to Dollywood this season!

I know we're getting ahead of ourselves since this expansion isn't even open yet but i'll go ahead and predict a B&M hyper (or Mack hyper). This would be the "star" attraction of Wildwood Grove.

Dollywood has mentioned again and again that Wildwood Grove is meant for families. A large, extreme roller coaster for that area would go completely against its mission. In one of the other areas, or in and around Wild Eagle and Mountain Slidewinder? Sure. But not Wildwood Grove.

And I asked when their next thrilling expansion would be... I was VERY surprised that Pete Owens even gave me an answer (2021)! I’ll defintely be returning for that.

I was surprised to hear that answer too.

Pete seems like a great guy (talked to me and my daughter a bit once on the LR platform) and understands us.

Oh, forgot the talk of Slidewinder.

Closed for 2019 but no long term decision yet. But then he sounded like he didn't think it'd reopen.

Dollywood has mentioned again and again that Wildwood Grove is meant for families. A large, extreme roller coaster for that area would go completely against its mission. In one of the other areas, or in and around Wild Eagle and Mountain Slidewinder? Sure. But not Wildwood Grove.

Ok so let’s look at this. 2016 was Dollywood’s last major coaster. 2021 will make 5 years since they’ve added one. That’s the longest they’ve went since the Mystery Mine-Wild Eagle gap. I personally don’t look at Dragonflier as a “major coaster”, it’s more of a “filler” to keep your adult/teen crowd satisfied because Wildwood Grove is mostly mild/moderate flats.

The Wildwood Grove Phase 1 parcel is 6 acres, Phase 2 (which may not even be called Wildwood Grove), is 7 acres and will be expanded into more than likely in 2021. I mean, why start on another piece of land when you have land fresh and ready?

So Pete pretty much said 2021 is thrilling, and a major expansion. Besides Wildwood Grove Phase 2, I’m not sure where else it could go at the moment. MS’s land isn’t as large as some may think. On either side you have Wild Eagle and Daredevil Falls. I could see a dark ride go in that area or an amphitheater like at SDC.

I personally don’t look at Dragonflier as a “major coaster”, it’s more of a “filler” to keep your adult/teen crowd satisfied because Wildwood Grove is mostly mild/moderate flats.

Wildwood Grove is more than just some mild / moderate flat rides and a coaster though. It's an entire themed land, with a story, and landmark experiences that aren't just mechanical rides. It's positioned at children and their families. If they built a new major coaster in an entirely new land adjacent to Wildwood Grove, then great - but not within it (as it has been envisioned today).

2016 was Dollywood’s last major coaster. 2021 will make 5 years since they’ve added one. That’s the longest they’ve went since the Mystery Mine-Wild Eagle gap.

Personally, I would be completely fine with going back to the days when you could go ten years or more without seeing a new roller coaster.

^ Exactly. Dollywood basically got a bulk expansion of E-ticket / thrilling rides from 2011-2017, and Wildwood Grove is not only a new large area, but their largest expansion ever. That means Dollywood didn't just add it as filler. After Drop Line, Lightning Rod, FireChaser Express and Wild Eagle, it's good they're spending their annual new attraction money on something to appeal to everyone.

2021 sounds like a great year to return to the park! By then, I assume lots of other new attractions just on the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg strip will be there (as shown by the last 5 years) and with a new Hyper (as it's sounding), that'll make that area one of the top in the country, especially for thrill seekers!

I personally don’t look at Dragonflier as a “major coaster”, it’s more of a “filler” to keep your adult/teen crowd satisfied because Wildwood Grove is mostly mild/moderate flats.

Wildwood Grove is more than just some mild / moderate flat rides and a coaster though. It's an entire themed land, with a story, and landmark experiences that aren't just mechanical rides. It's positioned at children and their families. If they built a new major coaster in an entirely new land adjacent to Wildwood Grove, then great - but not within it (as it has been envisioned today).

2016 was Dollywood’s last major coaster. 2021 will make 5 years since they’ve added one. That’s the longest they’ve went since the Mystery Mine-Wild Eagle gap.

Personally, I would be completely fine with going back to the days when you could go ten years or more without seeing a new roller coaster.

So I typed my response out on my phone right as I was getting ready to clock out so it was rapid fire thoughts haha so..

Yes I know that Wildwood Grove is more than rides per say, they're going to be telling Smoky Mountain stories through the architecture, the trees (literally in and through the Wildwood Tree), the rocks, etc. The waterfall is even designed after one of the falls near Roaring Fork. It seems to be a really immersive land, and something like they've never done before.

The designer said that with the fallen log, it serves as a portal from Timber Canyon and Wildwood Grove. That you'll hear Timber Canyon music on one end, music on the inside of the log/cave and then Wildwood Grove music on the other side. They really want it to open up infront of you. So, notice in the artwork (announcement artwork) there's a tunnel at the end. I feel that'll be another portal to 2021's project.

I seen someone mention somewhere a Mack/Intamin style coaster with a Verbolten-esque theme/story. Anyone?

True, but... families consist of more than just mom, dad, and 2.5 children under 10. So adding one or maybe two larger more thrilling rides doesn't necessarily take away from this mission, to me in my opinion add to the family experience. Plus, if the hyper could have a 48" height requirement (Do Mack hypers have this? Never ridden one) plenty of kids could ride with their older siblings or parents.

Dollywood already has the lowest height requirement of any B&M I've ever seen, Wild Eagle is 50" when every other B&M with vests has a 52"minimum requirement. Wildfire at SDC with the classic B&M OTSR has a 52" requirement. To me this clearly shows they don't mind having a lower requirement to open larger rides to a wider demographic to keep families experiencing rides together. Will they add a hyper or large thrilling coaster to phase 2? I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After the issues with Lightning Rod I expect their next major coaster will be by someone with a proven track record for unmatched quality and up time.

A large, extreme roller coaster for that area would go completely against its mission. In one of the other areas, or in and around Wild Eagle and Mountain Slidewinder? Sure. But not Wildwood Grove.

Actually, they are still deciding whether they want to remove Mountain Slidewinder or not. I was about to ask what was up with Mountain Slidewinder, but someone beat me to it! Pete explained that with the construction of Wildwood Grove they had to dilute maintenance teams from Slidewinder (“which requires a lot of TLC and rehab work each season, due to its age”) which is why it will be down this entire season. I would love to see that spot, if it is the spot for Dollywood 2021, used for a MACK hyper like DC Rivals or a MACK launched spinner like Time Traveler. I mean, I can’t think of any other spot they could have in mind for the coaster— as Dollywood really doesn’t do layering ( I have a fetish with layered parks like Grona Lund and Blackpool Pleasure Beach). That hillside slope would be a prime location for a great coaster view as soon as you go around that pond. It already has Lightning Rod on one side, but would have the big flashy MACK on the other.

^^Exactly. Plus remember, Dollywood considers any of their coasters an “Experience for families” most of the time as long as it doesn’t go upside down. So a 73 mph launching wooden rollercoaster with 20+ seconds of airtime is considered a thrilling family coaster. It’s essentially about marketing really. They’re a family oriented park, so just put family experience somewhere in the tag line and it draws more of your guests in.

True, but... families consist of more than just mom, dad, and 2.5 children under 10. So adding one or maybe two larger more thrilling rides doesn't necessarily take away from this mission, to me in my opinion add to the family experience.

This is a really important point, and Dollywood sets themselves apart by thinking this way. Most parks follow the "let's build something for the little kids too" model, whereas Dollywood integrates its areas so there is something for everyone wherever you are in the park. They don't mind putting Barnstormer between Mountain Slidewinder and a playground, or Lightning Rod next to the Rockin' Roadway and Smoky Mountain Rampage. Makes it really easy to split the group based on interest and still be right together to meet up again.

Perhaps you all are right, but please forgive me for feeling like a gigantic monster of a roller coaster would seem to be just a little out of place in a land of butterflies and happy frogs.

Perhaps you all are right, but please forgive me for feeling like a gigantic monster of a roller coaster would seem to be just a little out of place in a land of butterflies and happy frogs.

I forgive you. But seriously though, aside from Mountain Slidewinder’s plot of land and the extra Wildwood Grove clearing, where would a new major Dollywood coaster go?

Come on now, Dollywood can do a gigantic monster of a roller coaster themed to butterflies and happy frogs.

I mean are you saying you won't ride a hyper if it's themed to butterflies?

All I am saying is just because an area is meant to appeal to families it doesn't mean that it only has to appeal to families with small children.

2021 sounds like a great year to return to the park! By then, I assume lots of other new attractions just on the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg strip will be there (as shown by the last 5 years) and with a new Hyper (as it's sounding), that'll make that area one of the top in the country, especially for thrill seekers!

Wait... A busy strip filled with graphic tee shirt shops, carnival rides, bungee jumping, tattoo shops, free moonshine tasting, cookie cutter tourist attractions, go karts, and a nearby hyper coaster make it one of the top areas in the country? Runner up: The Wisconsin Dells. It was a close call, since they both have a Ripley's Believe it or Not.

I forgive you. But seriously though, aside from Mountain Slidewinder’s plot of land and the extra Wildwood Grove clearing, where would a new major Dollywood coaster go?

My guess? The country Fair/Owen's Farm area is very much due for a renovation. In fact, Wildwood Grove very much has everything that.. well... the country fair area already has... So it wouldn't surprise me if they go and completely shut down that area and turn it into something new.

Edit: The lone exception being of course, the station for the Dollywood Express... But you could very easily put that into Wildwood Grove as well with that long straight of track they have going up the side by Dragonflier.

You are speculating they will close down County Fair? That would seem quite irresponsible given that, until this expansion, I would argue they had a shortage of flat rides. Pretty much every flat ride ride except for a couple was in that area. I don't see them shutting it down, really. There are quite a few rides there. While I don't feel that County Fair is perfect and it does feel slightly out of place, it serves an obvious purpose for the park and is still plenty nice.

Agreed. I think that Country Fair is the only theme park land that has successfully pulled off a "carnival" theme without feeling hokey. (EDIT: Thinking about it, Storybook Circus is on that level too)

As for the train station, I feel like steam and soot are the absolute last things that guests want in their faces while they're walking through Wildwood Grove.

Agreed. I think that Country Fair is the only theme park land that has successfully pulled off a "carnival" theme without feeling hokey. (EDIT: Thinking about it, Storybook Circus is on that level too)

As for the train station, I feel like steam and soot are the absolute last things that guests want in their faces while they're walking through Wildwood Grove.

I'd argue this land pulls of the carnival theme pretty well.