TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Tennessee Tornado is so smooth that I don't hit my head once. It really is a shame X2 sent Arrow bankrupt because Tennessee Tornado is awesome.

I lean forward during Mystery Mine's first half to avoid the jostles here and there, so I have no issue. However, I wouldn't be opposed to lap bars.

Maybe it was just my inexperience with a coaster like that, as it was my first time riding a Euro-Fighter. When we did our second circle around the park, we opted to re-ride Wild Eagle and Firechaser Express, so I only got the one ride in on MM. I *might* consider riding again if I ever go back (my god, I hope I get to go back - I freaking LOVED this park).

I've never experienced anything resembling roughness on Mystery Mine. I know a lot of people hate it but I'm entirely confused. I love that ride.

I think it depends on which vehicle you get and maybe even where you sit. The first time I rode it, it was my first Eurofighter and I cursed Eurofighters as head-banging death traps after riding. The second time I rode it, I grudgingly did so with a friend and was surprised by a 100% smooth ride.

Earlier this year, in the same day, I got one hellishly head-banging experience and one smooth one.

Well, now you've got me interested in trying to ride it again and take note of what car I'm in and what seat. I don't know what car I rode, but I was sitting in the front left seat. I thought maybe the jostling was more intense for me because I'm so short (5'2"), but my friend sitting next to me is around 6' and said he was having trouble with the head-banging, too.

So it sounds like the passholder preview will be mid-May? I would have thought that the winter weather would slow down construction and it looks like they have a way to go. We plan to be there Christmas week and I cant wait to see how far they have gotten

I would say by mid/late December, Dragonflier will be finished. The Wildwood tree is being constructed offsite for some reason. I guess it’s that large. So I’m guessing they’ll haul it in and place it. The other attractions are basically put and place. Majority of work is landscaping which is what makes Wildwood Grove.

2C4FC1D0-75D5-4D2E-B05A-7EA368309C30.thumb.jpeg.658817665c3be3a98065c9143b129bf1.jpeg

I've got some time off in December and was thinking about going to Dollywood for the first time. I'm only interested in riding the coasters and some flats. I would drive from Chicago so this trip would depend on the weather. Is it worth it to go for one day or should I hold off until next season?

Good attendance on this Black Friday. Park had to open up the splash country lot and park guests at splash country.

Was Lightning Rod running?

I was not at the park on Friday, but I was there Saturday and Sunday and Lightning Rod was open both days. By the time I got to it Saturday evening, it was only running one train, but the posted wait time was only 20 minutes. Sunday was excellent (crowd wise). Most everything was a walk on and I only waited maybe two or three trains mid-day for a ride on Lightning Rod (still one train op on Sunday).

I've got some time off in December and was thinking about going to Dollywood for the first time. I'm only interested in riding the coasters and some flats. I would drive from Chicago so this trip would depend on the weather. Is it worth it to go for one day or should I hold off until next season?

Dollywood's shows are phenomenal, especially at Christmas. The lights and decorations are top quality as well. I wouldn't base a rides only trip in winter though, as the park is open, cold temperatures can close rides.

There is a Dollywood documentary of sorts streaming on Amazon if you are a Prime member:

https://www.amazon.com/Dollywood-Bust-Phil-Grabsky/dp/B07BRYL2T8

The focus is on everything except rides. It's listed as 1999 so it pre-dates Tennessee Tornado. There is a brief on-ride clip from a log flume. It's not great, IMO, but you do get a glimpse of Dollywood 20 years ago.

So update. My friend was at the park today. Dragonflier is complete track wise. Station work and those things are obviously needing to be done. Mad Mockingbird is up and in place. Rock placement has started on the waterfall coming down the hill around blackbear trail, which will turn into a creek and maneuver through out the grove. Foundation has started for the tree. Everything is picking up pace fast. Besides getting the other flats installed it’s mostly foliage work/theming needing done.

LR update as well. The hoods have been completely removed as of today. So yes, you get an open front ride like Outlaw Run.