TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Possible but I have seen their app do this before and with fall hours starting today, very possible there is just a glitch..

It's also possible they are making you be in the park to see wait times.. last year their records crowds were during the first few weekends of the fall festival. Maybe they are afraid long wait times will keep folks away

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

So, I'm gonna be taking my first ever trip to Dollywood in about a month. What do you guys think the crowds will be like on Halloween, 'cause that's the day we're gonna be going? I wanna focus on rides; I looked over their slate of shows, and none really jump out at me.

So, I'm gonna be taking my first ever trip to Dollywood in about a month. What do you guys think the crowds will be like on Halloween, 'cause that's the day we're gonna be going? I wanna focus on rides; I looked over their slate of shows, and none really jump out at me.
The Harvest Festival and pretty much all of October was probably the busiest time for Dollywood last season. I would say more popular than Christmas and more popular than most summer weekend's.

During the day, while school is in session, it's mostly older folks look for fall colors and listening to gospel music but when school lets out it gets very crowded, or did last year. It also depends on the weather but October is usually fairly mild, again, making it a very popular time.

I visited several weekends and weekdays (evenings) last year in October and ride times backed up. During the day, not so much.. most stuff was a walk on. That's what makes Dollywood unique! You will see the park transform from older folks enjoying shows and leaves to a very young crowd enjoying night rides on coasters and luminights.

I'd stay away on weekends or days when school is out!! It was so crowded last year, they added on to the pathways mainly for luminights and gospel festival, so mainly for this month!

Also, for folks visiting over the next few weeks, keep in mind that area schools are out for fall break.. its a staggered break so not all counties are out at once but weekdays might be a little busy for the next week or two. Good time to visit the park though!!

So I'm guessing Halloween should be pretty chill crowd-wise? Since it's on a Wednesday.

You mentioned that the weather is mild. What kind of temps are usual around Halloween at DW? I get cold really easy, so I need to know how to pack.

Here in the mountains, our weather is pretty unpredictable. One year during Smoky Mountain Christmas it was in the 70’s, year before that it was in the 20’s. Around Halloween it can go either way, but if I were you I’d dress light but bring maybe a hoodie. It may be 70’s-80’s during the day but can drop down in the low 50’s when the sun sets.

^ Here. Not exactly "pink", but.......

(Pardon the Sidebar)

FrightFlightNasuHighlandPark.jpg.ec2dfa83dac771eff7f9be4c43600e5f.jpg

Nasu Highland Park, Japan. Fright Flight Coaster. Pre-2011 TPR Japan visit.

Go Karts gave way to a new enclosed coaster. But the coaster colours stayed the same.

K12_Holger-BalloonRide-FrightFlight_NasuHighland.jpg.794c5124e8c7a20b08b7f3b013448a4f.jpg

And the palm trees stayed, too. TPR 2011 Japan Tour. Hi Holger!

I received this Wildwood Grove rendering in my email and it has two trains on Dragon Flier. Do you think it is accurate? I thought I had read several times on here it would be one train so that sort of stuck out to me and I was curious lol. http://dw.dollywood.com/enews/18/Images/9/DW2019_WildwoodGrove_Key_Art.jpg?spMailingID=36305840&spUserID=NjU5OTU1MDYxMTE5S0&spJobID=1362487721&spReportId=MTM2MjQ4NzcyMQS2 Come to think of it Pete had stated there would be a tunnel but I don't see one so the artwork may not be exactly correct right?

I received this Wildwood Grove rendering in my email and it has two trains on Dragon Flier. Do you think it is accurate? I thought I had read several times on here it would be one train so that sort of stuck out to me and I was curious lol. http://dw.dollywood.com/enews/18/Images/9/DW2019_WildwoodGrove_Key_Art.jpg?spMailingID=36305840&spUserID=NjU5OTU1MDYxMTE5S0&spJobID=1362487721&spReportId=MTM2MjQ4NzcyMQS2 Come to think of it Pete had stated there would be a tunnel but I don't see one so the artwork may not be exactly correct right?

I really hope there will be two trains on it because the capacity would be pretty terrible otherwise.

I received this Wildwood Grove rendering in my email and it has two trains on Dragon Flier. Do you think it is accurate? I thought I had read several times on here it would be one train so that sort of stuck out to me and I was curious lol.

If it is the "cloned" 453m Orkanen model, which is what it appeared to be in those leaked planning images, it will have one train with 10 single-row cars. The layout is designed in such a way that the brake run is the station, so the entire ride technically only has two blocks; To run two trains, you need three. So far, none of Vekoma's suspended family coasters have had more than one train.

That being said, a piece of key art is often the intent - so perhaps they've asked for Vekoma to do a custom variant (like a Great Nor'Easter vs an SLC) that widens that last turn and allows for enough room for both a station and main brake for 6-car trains. That would be a really hard brake though. I think that their piece of key art is at least somewhat accurate (since it was probably based off of an existing 3D model) - but remember, things can change in an instant.

Although it could be possible to do two trains by making 2 trains with 5 rows each instead of 1 train with 10 rows, using the first half of the station building as a break run and the other as a loading station, I doubt highly they would do this, the capacity would actually be slowed down in retrospect.

Also this is the same exact model used on Orkanen, Dragon Roller Coaster, etc.

The breaks are in the station, the final turn into the station is a high speed turn.

I've seen a photo on Twitter circulating. Lightning Rod is apparently testing

Oh man, I hope that's true! I'll be at Dollywood on Halloween... hopefully I'll actually get a chance to ride it, 'cause I have no clue when I'll ever be able to go back!

I'm honestly unaware of what's been going on with it this year. Since when has it been down?

I thought they had gotten over major downtime.

Well, it was running pretty consistently this season up until July 3rd, and has been down since. Still no word on when it will reopen.

I'm honestly unaware of what's been going on with it this year. Since when has it been down?

There's was someone on Reddit who toured the RMC factory and they said they got the launch working consistently and reliably already and that they were working with Dollywood on parts of the track. I'm assuming it was the bottom of the first drop because I remember hearing a lot of mention about a big pot hole there, but nothing was confirmed.

Well, it was running pretty consistently this season up until July 3rd, and has been down since. Still no word on when it will reopen.

July 3rd?!

giphy.gif

Not only confirmed on Reddit but Pete confirmed this two years ago and again this year.

There's was someone on Reddit who toured the RMC factory and they said they got the launch working consistently and reliably already and that they were working with Dollywood on parts of the track. I'm assuming it was the bottom of the first drop because I remember hearing a lot of mention about a big pot hole there, but nothing was confirmed.

There is a parody Twitter account called is Lightning Rod Open @LightningRodDW and the first time it shows being down is July 4 so its been down since at least then.

ACE southeast is the one who posted the photo from one of their members showing LR testing. It is consistent with what I've been reading that says the target is Columbus Day Weekend (start of Fall Break for most of TN).