TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I expected that there would be a gate or something in there so normal folks couldn't get back too far.

Again, aerial map views show it all well.

As I said, the HR and training offices are back there. So is the clinic (was an urgent care clinic plus occupational health).

It's also the route the trolley takes (avoiding the parking lot booths and Veterans traffic)

So far they haven't had problems to need a gate.

Lined up outside the front gate awaiting my wristband for today's big announcement. I tried to drive over to the employee lot but didn't have the guts to pass the authorized personnel only sign. However L-rod's station lights are on and I swear I'm hearing it cycle every so often. Though I can't see anything from where I am in line. There may be hope!!

Dollywood has updated their logo on dollywood.com in the past week from "Great Smoky Mountains, TN" to "Parks & Resorts". Could this be a clue on something bigger than Wildwood Grove being announced today???? I've heard of 2 other things, but neither of which I a) feel confident about nor b) want to spoil if they DO announce them. Looking forward to the official reveal!

COUGH9 month payment planCOUGH

dollywood-logo.thumb.jpg.4c53fc3df2f5539b846bb65ed3a0041a.jpg

I know the pot hole is at the bottom of the drop, but is that also right where spot where there's the opening for the road to pass underneath the coaster?
The road passes under the area before the launch starts up the hill.

Aerial photos on maps show it well.

I don't remember anything under it at the bottom of the big drop. The track there goes under the track that goes to the triple (quad?) down.

I thought I remembered there being a road underneath the bottom of the drop. I went back and watched the TPR POV and attached the following screenshot. It looks like something passes underneath the pothole area.

434821125_LightningRodDrop.thumb.JPG.3b32537729c85440af16dd4d4697312f.JPG

^I believe there was an access road there during construction, seems like I remember that section of track not being completed until the rest of the layout after the drop and before the return past the drop was completed.

Edit: I was wrong, that track from the drop into the wave turn was completed before the rest of the layout but there is a some kind of construction access road there.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by Hilltopper39

That could have been the cause of the problem. Remember that section of GaleForce that was like...in the middle of the layout that couldn't fit properly?

Here's Pete Owens' release on the new Wildwood Grove land coming to Dollywood in 2019:

Entry-Daytime-e1533224304260.jpg

https://blog.dollywood.com/index.php/2018/08/03/dollywoods-new-land-offers-attractions-experiences/

Dollywood’s New Land Offers Attractions, Experiences

When it comes to Dollywood’s largest expansion – Wildwood Grove – you might expect that I would be most excited about the 11 new experiences or the increased amount of space that the area is going to provide to the families who visit Dollywood every year. I am, however, most excited about the expansion of “heart” that Wildwood Grove will bring to Dollywood in 2019.

For many years, Dollywood has been a place where families go to reconnect, to play together and to make memories worth repeating. We’ve been dreaming about this for many years, and now in Wildwood Grove, all of us will get to experience a brand new story that fits well within the vision Dolly created for Dollywood more than 30 years ago. While, Wildwood Grove is a whole new land big enough to be its own property, it is still ALL Dollywood.

The entire area is centered on the massive Wildwood Tree, an icon covered in brightly-colored leaves and butterflies that speaks to the heart of Dollywood and to the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains. It stands proud over a land built within the imagination of the Great Smoky Mountains. It glistens with the majesty of the forest and glows brightly every night, creating an ever-changing experience day or night.

As soon as you pass though the hollow log portal of the new land, you feel the difference. The Wildwood Tree stands over the entire area, its heart song ringing true in the breeze, just as Dolly described it. The entire area is filled with beautiful and distinctive rides and attractions for families to explore. You can imagine yourself riding on the back of a Smoky Mountain black bear, swinging on a giant leaf, or flying suspended from a dragonfly. Most important, Wildwood Grove is a place the entire family can play together. There are indoor and outdoor spaces to play and experience; new friends to meet; and a great new restaurant to refresh and recharge. In short, it is a new adventure and I, for one, cannot wait to take my family on a hike through Wildwood Grove, stand alongside and watch the kaleidoscope of colors dance on the Wildwood Tree. We might even hop on a bear or ride on a dragonfly – together.

Gorgeous. A little more "fantasy" than I expected, but it's the type of thoughtful addition that HFEC excels at. I love how they combine an interesting layered theme with a bunch of attractions and keep a focus on making the whole package work together as an experience instead of just a bunch of individual rides.

The flyers intrigue me as well. I guess HFEC actually bought one of the first new-gen flyers from Larson way back in the CC days, but they haven't bought from them in awhile unless I've missed something. Hopefully they don't get sucked into a super loop package as well.

The new relationship with Vekoma may be the most exciting part of all of this, given Vekoma's recent trajectory.

Is it a Orkanen clone? That ride looks like a great ride. A 453M family suspended coaster

I believe so. It looks like, in terms of rides, the land will have a 453m Vekoma Suspended Family coaster, a Larson Flying Skooter, and several Zamperla family / children's rides.