TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I have been watching lots of water park and theme park videos on YouTube and got an idea. It seems to me Tennessee Tornado could use alittle love since it is their oldest coaster (not counting good ole Blazing Fury that is). I was thinking they could add some storm elements in the tunnel even if they had to extend it alittle.

I mean like lightning bolts and maybe fans for wind and even a funnel cloud visual effect so you felt like you were in a tornado and whoosh you fly out into all the loops.

Or better yet. Maybe start the dark park at that second station and continue it up the lift hill to the existing tunnel. That may be expensive but not as much as a new coaster. Everyone says it goes so fast I really think enclosing the slower first half with the lift hill with all those wind and storm elements would do Tennessee Tornado some long overdue justice. Most reviews I have seen rate it in the very best of arrow coasters. It would be so cool like a mini Space Mountain except it would be a Storm Mountain lol

The tunnel already flashes because of the camera.. I personally see nothing wrong with tornado and don't think it needs anything added.. the entire area is themed great for a tornado already and even during Christmas they make the lights in that area look so sloppy like a tornado had hit.

I'm not sure what enclosing the lift hill would add, if anything, to the ride.

What do you mean it needs a little love? They added new magnetic breaks a few years back, redid the trains some, and overall it's one of their best kept up rides.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Oh I didn't mean at all it was run down. I love it so much except it could last longer lol. I just meant extra special attention since it is the oldest "big" coaster. I remember Thunder Express. I just think the dark elements would be cool but it is great like it is. I can just visualize going up the enclosed lift hill (although it may need to go slower if they could) with wind, thunder, lightning etc. Like I say just thinking out loud. I love Tennessee Tornado!

I think Splash Country had more people than Dollywood today! It's sad that on a weekend Dollywood can't fill lot C.

Splash though was slammed! We used our bring a friend $30 coupon and brought my mother in law.. was there for about 5 hours, its pissed pouring right now and the lifeguards were out front giving rain checks so basically two tickets for $30! Pretty sweet

I went to go see drumline live tonight and it's probably the best show Dollywoods had in a long time! Park was dead but they still had to give out tickets it was so popular.. they really got the crowd going and it's a very upbeat show! Only a few days left so go see it if your able and haven't been yet!!

I'm sure it's a shortened version of their real shows/tour but drumline normally cost $50 - $75 to see. Also, it didn't seem like it was the entire cast/crew but was still very much worth it!

Wonder when we’ll see the cosmetic changes made to the trains? It’s like the hoods/trunks appeared then disappeared haha. I’ll be at the park tomorrow if all goes well. First time of the season (a bit late for my usual but life happens) and I’m so ready. Season pass is ready to go! Question, my parents have the McDonalds 10 dollars off cups for each ticket. So you just enter that code on the cup online when you order your ticket and print it out? I know we used to do the cup deal when it was just 5 dollars off for one ticket if you brought the cup there. I go more than my parents do they didn’t get a pass. I go with friends like 5+ times.
You don't need a code.. you just go to the Dollywood promo site and it should work (at least it has in years past).. I just tested and got all the way to payment info without it requiring a code.. there is a place for a code, but that's for other discounts I believe..

https://www.dollywood.com/lpg/promo/McDonalds

It's $10 off if purchased online and $5 off if you bring your McDonald's bag to the park.. they aren't very secretive about this promo anymore because you can just buy a $1.00 burger or soda and get the deal.

You can find the link above just by googling McDonalds and Dollywood

Just dirt. They are building a new small path around the graveyard area, I assume to help the congestion during luminights. The current path goes around the front so they are building one going around the back as well

Sorry to bring this up again but is anyone at the park and could give an update on the status of Lightning Rod? The app shows it closed for the day and our trip will happen in a few weeks...

Looks like it went down yesterday afternoon for some reason. It's been running well... just a slight breakdown here and there. It's usually running 2 trains unless they are having to perform maintenance on the other train, or crowds are light. Surely it will be fine for your trip in a couple weeks.

My last two visits (Sunday and Monday of this week) they were only running one train while I was there. Sudnay was dead though, Monday was a little busier

^ On the park’s website, it mentions in the description of the coaster that “Lightning Rod is closed for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.” Hopefully it’s nothing major.

Anyways, I do wonder when Dollywood will start teasing next year’s expansion. I’ll be there next week for only the second time this season.

^ On the park’s website, it mentions in the description of the coaster that “Lightning Rod is closed for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.” Hopefully it’s nothing major.

Anyways, I do wonder when Dollywood will start teasing next year’s expansion. I’ll be there next week for only the second time this season.

That coaster is actually straining my nerves........Hope they figure it out until mid August.....

Besides that, has anybody experience with contacting the parks guest services via email?

I emailed them 2 times in the last few months asking some questions regarding our upcoming trip and never got a response....

Dollywood has horrible customer service via the Internet.. that includes Facebook, Twitter, their email and everything.. I have sent numerous emails and never heard back. You will need to give them a call, normally wait times aren't that bad.

I can't imagine the number of guests they lose or upset because they don't reply emails lol.

New area is starting to look cool actually, gotta ride drop line and Thunderhead tho.

I’m actually very excited to find out along with everyone else what’s happening with this area

I sure am hoping they announce soon. It seems if a whole new area will be ready for next year they would have to start construction in the very near future. I am just so excited! I would be cool with just one attraction announcement at a time over many weeks. If I remember correctly didn't they do many teases on Mystery Mine which at the time was their most expensive addition.

New area is starting to look cool actually, gotta ride drop line and Thunderhead tho.

I’m actually very excited to find out along with everyone else what’s happening with this area

I sure am hoping they announce soon. It seems if a whole new area will be ready for next year they would have to start construction in the very near future. I am just so excited! I would be cool with just one attraction announcement at a time over many weeks. If I remember correctly didn't they do many teases on Mystery Mine ? At the time it was their most expensive addition.

I sure am hoping they announce soon. It seems if a whole new area will be ready for next year they would have to start construction in the very near future. I am just so excited! I would be cool with just one attraction announcement at a time over many weeks. If I remember correctly didn't they do many teases on Mystery Mine ? At the time it was their most expensive addition.

It’s really cool for me because this is the first year I’ve worked where there will be something new. I’m surprised on how quite it’s been kept.

Obviously I wouldn’t even be saying anything if I knew anything. And that’s how I want to keep it, I don’t want to know anything until it’s annouced.

To be honest I was under the impression it was going to be a parking lot or some maintenance building until all the trees and mountains disappeared lol

All they said is to tell guests it was the biggest investment for Dollywood ever and that’s all they I’ve heard about it.

Well, the park changed the Lightning Rod closure info, now it says: "NOTICE: Lightning Rod is closed for repair. We apologize for any inconvenience." instead of "closed for maintenance".

Wonder what exactly went wrong...

Well, the park changed the Lightning Rod closure info, now it says: "NOTICE: Lightning Rod is closed for repair. We apologize for any inconvenience." instead of "closed for maintenance".

Wonder what exactly went wrong...

Possibly fixing the pothole and the bottom of the drop. Like I said when I went on Father’s Day weekend it jolted me bad haha. I’ve felt it before lightly and ignored it but this time it was where it distracted you from the whole ride experience and you were concerned on what just happened. That’s the only kind of repairs I can think of them doing. Launch was running fine, as were sensors. Kids kept wanting to hang on the gates (which I don’t understand l).

In all honesty, it's never ran well in the heat and this is the first time this season we have had 90+ temps consistently.. it was 97 when I was there earlier this week. I could see the heat playing a major role in the downtime

I remember it was down one weekend I was there last summer and it was one of the hottest of the year. It reopened a few days later. Temperature could very well be an issue, but considering that ride has closed on days at room temperature, I wouldn't rule anything out.