TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

My question about this area is, Yes we know it has a coaster in it but it’s more along the lines of a family coaster(I.e Firechaser) right? So, is what I’m trying to think, my friend was just there yesterday and I’ll be there at the end of this month. She said all the major work stops really where the service road seems to divide. So would we be looking at an actual coaster expansion in 2020? If so, what kind? I’ve not been in person this year so I can really judge on how wide it is towards the back of the clearing.

I'm personally really hoping for a Time Traveler sister coaster for Dollywood one day as that would fit in greatly!

I have to say I was sort of excited when Time Traveler was announced but seeing actual footage it seems a bit cumbersome. I sure would prefer another log flume family ride or indoor family coaster or dark ride but that is just my two cents. I haven't ridden Time Traveler I have just seen videos so if you think its great your experience I'm sure is better than me just watching a POV! I would prefer Dollywood have a long log flume meandering thru the woods. I love Daredevil Falls but it could be alittle longer. But Alton Towers just ditched their flume for a roller coaster so what do I know lol. A wild mouse coaster would be something fun too that isn't to extreme. Maybe they could put one in some of the new expansion areas. I have only ridden one but really did like it. Not too intense but definitely some thrills!

Pete Owens said earlier this season that the 2019 announcement would be coming sooner in the year than past announcement times. Has anyone heard when that time may be? Dolly is in town this weekend to at least open the revamped My People, My Music show. Could there be more in the works for this Friday? Typically we would be seeing some teasers leading in to announcement day, but the park's social media has been completely silent on the issue.

I'm personally really hoping for a Time Traveler sister coaster for Dollywood one day as that would fit in greatly!

If it is a sister coaster, I hope it's a Mack...done right...mirroring something like Helix: multi launch, ground/terrain hugging and through the woods of Smokies

Pete Owens said earlier this season that the 2019 announcement would be coming sooner in the year than past announcement times. Has anyone heard when that time may be? Dolly is in town this weekend to at least open the revamped My People, My Music show. Could there be more in the works for this Friday? Typically we would be seeing some teasers leading in to announcement day, but the park's social media has been completely silent on the issue.

Not sure. I've talked to Pete a few times and I've heard two separate months for the announcement between him and a few managers. I'm as excited to find out what's going on back there as you. No one would tell me anyway.

My only guess would be, and I do not speak on behalf of Dollywood, is that they would want to announce it early since construction is about to pick up fast and if they announced it later in the year people would already know what all is being built.

I like the family invert idea of Dollywood. Having it be a terrain coaster would really be awesome.

Totally. My oldest daughter loves those family inverts, but won't go on a coaster bigger than that. Great having something I can ride with her. She went with me on Firechaser Express, but a second coaster that fits that bill would be appreciated.

Just went to Dollywood for the first time on Monday & Wednesday. Overall, we had an amazing time. We only had time for a couple of hours yesterday before having to drive home, but we were able to ride every coaster (FCE and WE 2x) between the hours of 10-12. Definitely worth the multi-day pass. If anyone here is lurking wondering about crowds, the max time we waited either day was ~10 minutes for Lightning Rod in the back. Also, we never had any issues with Lightning Rod being down, although they only ran one train both days (which seemed to be the case for all rides except FCE, so that might just be how the park operates?)

Just got a email survey from Dollywood about a new spring festival focused on entertainment and gardening. Based on the questions it sounded like either doing both Festival of Nations and the new one or getting rid of Festival of Nations and replacing it with this.

I'm not sure they will replace festival of nation's but they do have several weeks during the spring with not festival going on.. I'm sure they can fill that with something.. I'd personally like to see them revamp festival of nation's again! It used to be full of vendors and all that fun stuff, but not so much anymore.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

We visited Dollywood last Sunday. The weather looked sketchy both Saturday and Sunday (much worse Saturday) so we were nervous. Fortunately, it barely rained on Saturday so the park still had crowds and no rain checks and Sunday was a total breeze. We arrived at 9:30 and they let us all in and we walked to Lightning Rod. We were like 12th in line and they opened up right on time. We got two rides in real quick, one in front, one in back and then hit up the rest of the coasters. Finished the rest of them, including Drop Line by 12:15 or so (20 for Mystery Mine and 25 for Firechaser). I ran ahead and grabbed Cinnamon Bread and we watched the new version of My People, My Music. I didn't know it was brand new (later found out Dolly was there Saturday, probably to premier it). Show was solid! Hadn't seen it before. We really appreciated the afternoon A/C break. Went and rode the Carousel and the 3:00 train (wow that area is barren, I didn't even recognize parts of the journey). Did a few rides in County Fair (ops were slow, slow, slow) and then went up and shopped a bit and shared some food. Took another lap or two no Tornado and Wild Eagle and then rode Lightning Rod twice more before park close. As parks do, the wait was posted at 20 minutes, there were 20 people in line. Really lucked out on weather and crowds.

My only real complaint with Dollywood is that now that they have removed the after 3 PM promotion, the value is tight when they open 10-7. We are Season Pass holders but we brought our friends with our passes and it really is just not enough time to take a leisurely approach to the day. We kinda had to have a plan of attack and not stray too far from it. I feel like staying open until 8 and then 10 on Saturdays before peak season would be fair. 7 is earlier than most other parks this time of year. Especially once the new expansion opens, it is absolutely a park where you need more than a day.

Yea looks like they’ve brought back a windshield and the headlights, although the grill design looks cheaper and more cartoonish and is it just me or have they removed the stacks from these hoods?

I just thought of something, could Lightning Rod be getting the new RMC Trains? The have smaller fronts on them than previous models. Just a thought.

3937F9E0-41E6-4172-BE77-3432C52C613E.thumb.jpeg.301b9fa5a89cfc112fd5231372c6818e.jpeg

The picture of the front of the train in the station looks like a stripped down version of what used to be. It looks like they are going to add the ones on the grass at a later time. I do know there's some function to the hood because it houses the unit that oils the track. So possibly the new design will allow maintenance easier access to the oiler.

As for the trunks, they were removed then there was a bunch of issues with the coaster in 2016. I forget the exact reason but I always heard they would be reinstalled eventually.

The picture of the front of the train in the station looks like a stripped down version of what used to be. It looks like they are going to add the ones on the grass at a later time. I do know there's some function to the hood because it houses the unit that oils the track. So possibly the new design will allow maintenance easier access to the oiler.

As for the trunks, they were removed then there was a bunch of issues with the coaster in 2016. I forget the exact reason but I always heard they would be reinstalled eventually.

The lubrication system was moved to the back of the train near the end of summer last year, it's the cylindrical contraption on the back of each train.

The trains look really ghetto without all of the themed decorations, it was already bad enough the trunks were gone.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they got all new trains based on the new RMC design as they honestly seem more fit for launching and high speeds, etc.

It's possible they are changing them to reduce weight of the train or something.

Well right now the app says the coaster is TC so they could be changing them out right now as we speak. I know they had the whole day yesterday with the park closed as well so we will only be able to tell once a new photo arises or someone on here visits the park. I may be going next weekend. According to weather and crowds. If not next then the weekend of the 3rd.