TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was watching lots of coaster POVs and it was cool finding Big Bad Wolf still in operation which was Thunder Express at Dollywood before Tennessee Tornado was built.
I think you meant Big Bad John at Magic Springs

Oops! My apologies. I just edited. Thanks so much!

I was watching lots of coaster POVs and it was cool finding Big Bad Wolf still in operation which was Thunder Express at Dollywood before Tennessee Tornado was built.
I think you meant Big Bad John at Magic Springs

Oops! My apologies. I just edited. Thanks so much!

Before that it was the other track of River King Mine Train at Six Flags St. Louis.

That's actually awesome.

I'm guilty of walking half way around Dollywood with an empty soda bottle waiting to get back to the place by Wild Eagle (which to my knowledge is the only recycling bin in the entire park) so I'm sort of happy to know I don't have to do that again.

I know better than to throw a plastic bottle in the trash in front of Brit ever. Plus, I could never ride Turtle Trek with a clean conscience again.

Back in March, plans were submitted which included these images:

dollywood-expansion-ride-2.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map-2.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map.jpg

It's for the new area behind Thunderhead and includes a coaster with a layout that's a clone of Orkanen at Farup Sommerland (A Vekoma family suspended coaster). There was lot's of discussion on page 1600 or so. No idea how you managed to miss this, it was huge.

I may have messed up. In my mind I'm thinking inverted roller coaster but it was called suspended roller coaster. I have just always known coasters where you ride under the track as inverted. Sorry if that was wrong I'm not as technically savy as most on here seem to be on that type of detail.

I may have messed up. In my mind I'm thinking inverted roller coaster but it was called suspended roller coaster. I have just always known coasters where you ride under the track as inverted. Sorry if that was wrong I'm not as technically savy as most on here seem to be on that type of detail.

No you're not wrong. Vekoma calls it "suspended," but the cars don't swing (like an Arrow suspended), so it is simply inverted. For example, SLC stands for "suspended looping coaster," but everyone knows they're just inverts really.

I'm guilty of walking half way around Dollywood with an empty soda bottle waiting to get back to the place by Wild Eagle (which to my knowledge is the only recycling bin in the entire park) so I'm sort of happy to know I don't have to do that again.

I would do the exact same thing - the lack of recycling bins was one of the few things I really didn't like about Dollywood. Really glad to read that there is a legitimate reason behind it and that I, too, no longer have to worry about lugging around the empty plastic until I find the one bin.

During spring break it was very up and down with full day closures.. haven't been in a few weeks so I'm not sure. I check the app periodically and I have seen several TC (temporary close) but no CD (closed for the day)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Definitely a cool read! Does it make me a bad person that I never realized Dollywood had a lack of recycle bins?

Agreed; that was interesting! And my verdict is no. Then again, I really don't think of most theme parks as places that are known for large numbers of recycling bins, at least not compared to a lot of places nowadays that have like four confusing categories that you have to sort your stuff into, with the "trash" one given some kind of other condescending name and relegated off to the side so that it's pounded into your head that trash is bad.

But I usually don't end up with a lot of recyclables at parks anyway.

Back in March, plans were submitted which included these images:

dollywood-expansion-ride-2.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map-2.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map.jpg

It's for the new area behind Thunderhead and includes a coaster with a layout that's a clone of Orkanen at Farup Sommerland (A Vekoma family suspended coaster). There was lot's of discussion on page 1600 or so. No idea how you managed to miss this, it was huge.

Has anyone else noticed that the ride kinda in the middle left could be River Battle recycled. Last time i was there, all the boats and props were being stored in the Splash country lot. If they are going for the family area, nice water ride would balance out the area nicely.

Hello again,

We have our hotel booked to visit the Pigeon Forge area next weekend. Just now seeing that it’s the big parade. Is that going to make the crowds unbearable at Dollywood?

It’s been a tough sell trying to convince my group that Sunday is the better option given that Saturday with early entry we will get 3 extra hours. If we focus on coasters the first hour or so and the last bit of the day, do you think we will be alright?

It's a local parade and during my experience it doesn't seem to make any difference in crowds.. if it's a pretty day it's going to be busy. The parade might keep some of the locals away

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else noticed that the ride kinda in the middle left could be River Battle recycled. Last time i was there, all the boats and props were being stored in the Splash country lot. If they are going for the family area, nice water ride would balance out the area nicely.

Well it’s not the same shape. I don’t think they would retro fit track sections lol

Well it’s not the same shape. I don’t think they would retro fit track sections lol

Its really not that hard.

I'm sure the track sections are interchangeable to change the layout. Even if not, they could just fabricate new channels for the boats and recycle the boats and props.

Its really not that hard.

I'm sure the track sections are interchangeable to change the layout. Even if not, they could just fabricate new channels for the boats and recycle the boats and props.

Yeah, Dollywood screwed up and accidentally pressed the Delete Ride button instead of Delete Section. Fortunately they got a floaty number that automatically deposited money back in their account, so they'll be plopping a new one down soon.

It will be so interesting watching the development of the cleared land over the next few years. I search you tube for new progress videos regularly. Does anyone know how many acres have been cleared? The five acre expansion just looks like maybe a third or less of the total cleared area judging just by videos and photos. Hopefully the economy will stay strong so there are no delays in finishing it all out. It does look a bit bare as mentioned by several but I have faith the Dollywood team will make it beautiful!