TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

As for the land clearing behind Thunderhead, Employees have been notified that they are allowed to say that this is an Expansion tentatively scheduled to open in 2019 and will be the Largest Expansion in Dollywood's history they will be posting hints all throughout 2018, while it begins to shape up, until the big announcement.

I'm really hoping it ends up being an extreme Mack spinner because that would be a really cool addition to Dollywood. If not I am also very intrigued as to what quality fantastic attraction this heavenly place in Tennessee could build.

Finally got to visit this park a couple weeks back. That cinnamon bread hype is not unwarranted. Wow.

What else? Lightning Rod is also worth the hype. There was no lines on the Sunday I visit, so I got repeated rides on this beast. My legs were in pain after a while because of that airtime. The initial launch, wave turn, and quad down were all standout moments for me. Back seat is definitely my go to, but it was good everywhere on the train. The new launch tower was a lot of fun, and gave great views of the land clearing.

Edited by Mossed

I really think the expansion will be a way to work in the snow park they’ve been talking about. It’s the last piece of the year round operations puzzle, and that area seems large enough to do that.

Well the snow park that Dolly wanted to build could create snow even during the hottest summer.. heck I think Ober can make it up to 70 degrees now and they don't even have the best snow equipment so the snow park would be a year round attraction itself

Also I didn't even think of it being an answer to year round operations but you might be right! The park president said last year, during an interview, that the park would be open year round if it wasn't for the fact they needed a few weeks to get the park ready for the next season.. he mentioned that he felt the park could do something unique to keep the guest coming even during Jan and Feb. A snow park would do just that! Even if it only means Dollywood would be open on the weekend during the "off season" and maybe the snow park portion would be the only part open or they would only have select attractions open elsewhere..

There are a lot of church retreats and other conferences doing the off season that keeps the area busy on weekends.. Dollywood could easily draw a decent crowd say 12:00 - 6:00 during the winter.. I know when I went on chruch trips, we used that time for putt putt and the other small parks in the area because Dollywood was closed.

Something kind of fun to think about

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

While on the topic of land clearing, the only rumor that I heard at the park while there this past weekend was that the new area will be focused on children and families. This seems plausible enough to me, but the actual theme of the area seems to be the most interesting topic of discussion. While a year-round snow resort idea would be neat, I don't know how practical it would be for the park as they use the off season to do large maintenance jobs that would be harder to accomplish if the park was open.

Also with this snow park idea, I’m not sure how it blends well with the rest of the park. I mean you have to think Dollywood is based on the 1800’s/Dolly’s upbringing. Most is sawmill/coal/and the 50’s. To me personally, a big blob of snow and guests on inner tubes doing what they do at Ober (which I’ve done and it’s nice and fits Ober because it can snow on the smokies at any time lol) but to me, it would just look and feel like a soar thumb. I have no clue what the theme could be or it could be, but just try to picture in your mind this area. You can fit 2-3 thunderheads up there or 2 wild eagles, multiple mystery mines. I mean the footprint is huge and it’s not all flattened out yet to their liking. No where near lol. Some are hoping for a Mack coaster, some B&M. But like I was talking to any employee friend of mine about (who is just a ride op so has no more than a daily view) this is more than a ride addition, it’s bigger. Dollywood is trying to get up there with the rest.

I got to visit the park for the first time since 2013 yesterday and Tuesday evening, and WOW what an awesome time was had. Some thoughts:

1. Lightning Rod is absolutely bonkers. The guests don't even know how to react to what happens on the ride because it's so much more intense than anything any of them have been on in their lives. This ride absolutely lived up and it's my new number 2 wooden coaster and #3 overall. Above T-Express and El-Toro but below a properly running Voyage. I will say it's got to be the only coaster I've ever been on where I was stapled in and still felt like I was getting airtime.

2. Dollywood had 700 total visitors on Tuesday evening in the park. It rained and every single ride in the park was a walk-on and I was the only person riding. I did Lightning Rod twice, Blazing Fury, TN Tornado, Firechaser and Wild Eagle in 45 minutes when I arrived. Unfortunately due to the low crowds they closed everything at 8PM instead of 9, and cancelled all performances after that time so essentially the park closed an hour early.

3. Everyone's advice about shows being busy vs Rides is correct. Every coaster remained a walk-on on Wednesday. I only got in 5 rides on LR total due to wanting to see all of the shows also, but the demographic of the park was 60+ for sure. Fantastic time to make a visit to the park.

4. Drop Line is fun, the drop itself feels like an old Parachute ride. It was one of the most predictable and easy drop rides I've ever done, but with unquestionably the coolest views.

5. All the shows were fun, but several got very preachy and I didn't think they matched the quality of Seaworld or Disney's. It's a Wonderful Life was entertaining, but a total mess. I'd go back for Christmas but for the lights, food, and rides. Dixie Stampede a couple of nights before was fantastic, however.

6. The new Area is GIGANTIC ya'll. They are not just building a coaster there. It looks like it's about 3/4 the size of the entire current park. I would believe a snow area, new theaters..etc. Literally anything is possible with the amount of space. They could do another Hotel, indoor waterpark, anything. Whatever it is they really do not have to have another coaster right now, since they have every niche filled and more thrill rides than what most people actually end up visiting the park for. I'd love something else to do in the wintertime, or something unique to Dollywood. I can definitely see the Train getting a new station and changing how it operates to ferry guests up to the new area.

I visited Dollywood for my first time last Saturday! The weather was gorgeous and it wasn't too crowded. I tried filming a vlog for the first time ever so I'll let that explain the majority of my trip. (Warning: video is not serious at all )

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I can definitely see the Train getting a new station and changing how it operates to ferry guests up to the new area.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Dollywood trains could be used like other theme parks that use theirs as a transportation loop system. Since it is steam engine, it needs the extra time between trips to prepare the next run (adding coal to the engine and whatnot). That's why when you see the schedule, the train runs about every 50-60 minutes. That wouldn't be a very efficient transportation system.

Edited by ernierocker

I visited Dollywood for my first time last Saturday! The weather was gorgeous and it wasn't too crowded. I tried filming a vlog for the first time ever so I'll let that explain the majority of my trip. (Warning: video is not serious at all )

I watched the entire thing and absolutely loved it.

Today is an example of how the weather in TN can change in an instant. Dollywood is covered in snow, beautiful from what I’ve seen but the only thing running is the train and blazing fury haha. If you’re just going for lights no worries. But here in this last stretch keep a CLOSE watch on the weather at every hour. Here in south weather changes at random.

Just thought I’d update you all on this too. Markers have now been spotted at the actual train loop. Like right beside the track where the train blows the whistle. And it makes me think....what’s Dollywood honestly planning for 2019? Dad said the train can be stopped because they used to do it back when he was going in the early 90’s and said they would do a train robbery type show. But if they are going to make the loop an area too along with this new land clearing Dollywood is about to look seriously different in a year. It already looks way different with the mountain gone behind thunderhead and trees gone behind Mystery Mine.

Yes they did use to stop the train for a short show but at one of the stops it would have to stop for an extended period to get prepared again.. meaning it could leave the main station, stop at the loop and drop folks off pick new folks up then start again without much of a break but when it got back to the main station they would have to fill with water, and get it prepared again which might take 30 mins or so. That's where it would lose it's efficiency.

For example, Disney trains run every 20 mins or so at each station but it would still probably take Dollywood 45 mins to an hour to get back to the second station even if it could make one trip fairly quickly

But the train coupled with a "ski themed chairlift" which is another rumor I heard, could combined, provide an effective transportation system for those who weren't able or didn't want to walk up the hill.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk