TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

She does Cyber Monday deals! I got an email about 50% off bookings at Dreammore! Lol, not so sure how good of a deal it was but hey, it said it was a Cyber Monday deals in the email

Currently they have the free "tickets" (bring a friend tickets) with season passes as their main promotion.. I never get to use them because they have to many blackout dates! I have never had the December friend passes though so they may not have all the blackout dates

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I got a similar e-mail today but the dates offered for half off are during the off season after the park is closed. I made the mistake of going to the area in January and everything was closed, even the shows in the area. The place was a ghost town.

Being local, I love that time though haha! This is also the time of year locals get into a lot of attractions for $5 or $10 You still have the Aquarium in the Smokies that's open, the Mountains, the Island, and most dinner attractions, at least the large ones.. Dolly's lumberjack one was closed last winter because it was changing, but the others in the area should of been open like Comedy Barn, Hatfield's, and Dixie Stampede.. the museum's are open, again most of the area should of been open unless it was a smaller attraction.. it's nice visiting those places when it is a ghost town. A lot of church conferences going on during Jan and Feb, along with other conferences that keep the place in business

But again, that's why I said not sure how good of a deal it was.. it is smack dab in the heart of the off season haha

What did you want to go to that was closed last winter? Or whatever winter your visited? Aside from Dollywood? Because even most shows are open daily, although they may only have one show during the off season

Edit: I think Hatfield's might of closed for a short period last winter or maybe the winter before for a small renovation but it wasn't closed all winter.

I have visited about 4 times over the past few weeks, mainly to eat.. I haven't seen any issues with LR.. been running fine but know that I have visited on the warmer days so not sure if cold will mess with it or not

Pulled the trigger and bought my season passes this morning for the family and I, once it became apparent that Dolly doesn't really "do" Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Only a little over two weeks, and we're going to be spending five nights down in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Obviously I don't anticipate spending the entire time at Dollywood, and the kiddo and I already know about the mountain coasters, but are there any other things in the area that you folks would highly recommend for family fun with a six-year-old and two--year-old in tow? (I'm guessing the moonshine tours probably frown on the rugrats.)

- The Island - there are activities ($$) there for kids. Obviously you'll see the ferris wheel, but there is a ropes course, mirror maze and a few other kiddie attractions there. There is a Moonshine store there that's mainly retail and kids can go in. Couple good restaurants there as well. Dicks Last resort on the Island is not family friendly but the one in gatlinburg is.

- Top Jump - its an indoor trampoline park / climbing gym.

- Gatlinburg - if you've never been. Plan on spending the day strolling through town shopping at all the little stores. Couple stores make taffy in front of you. There's also a bunch of Ripleys tourist trap stuff there too.

- Wonder Works - great place for kids to have fun and learn too. Next door is the Titanic Museum but I've heard its not really for kids.

- Go Karts - there's one on every corner. Extreme GO Carts just opened and they have the fastest carts in town. BUt the best value is the NASCAR park, you pay one price.

Pulled the trigger and bought my season passes this morning for the family and I, once it became apparent that Dolly doesn't really "do" Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Only a little over two weeks, and we're going to be spending five nights down in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Obviously I don't anticipate spending the entire time at Dollywood, and the kiddo and I already know about the mountain coasters, but are there any other things in the area that you folks would highly recommend for family fun with a six-year-old and two--year-old in tow? (I'm guessing the moonshine tours probably frown on the rugrats.)

In Pigeon Forge, there is MagiQuest or WonderWorks. Also Dixie Stampede is a good dinner show. Gatlinburg is a trolley ride away, Ripley's Aquarium and Ober Gatlinburg are both good. If you don't mind driving, do the Cades Cove loop and the Laurel Falls hiking trail (it's paved) in the Park, the Knoxville Zoo, Lost Sea in Sweetwater, and Forbidden Caverns/Tuckaleechee Caverns. Also in Knoxville, the Three Rivers Rambler is running their Christmas Lantern Express steam trains.

coneyislandchris, don't forget to make a stop at the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride. There are some reports on TPR from others that are big fans of the attraction if you need more details. And don't let the crowd out front of the building steer you away from thinking they are busy. Those folks have been there for a while...

And if you want something even worse, over in Gatlinburg is "Earthquake The Ride". This may be the worst tourist trap of all time and yet I loved every minute of it. Surprises abound while on the "subway train" and the special effects rank right up there with those of Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

And finally, if you're a "Simpsons" fan, you're not far from the legendary Sunsphere in Knoxville. It doesn't cost anything to go up in the self-service elevator for a yellow-tinged birds-eye view of beautiful downtown Knoxville. You may not be able to buy a wig or an Al Gore doll, but it's worth a stop if you're in the area.

So if you're a fan of "so bad it's good" attractions, I'm not sure if these live up to that billing... but they are still good for a laugh!

Quickie question please:

My son and I are going to head to the park while my wife and daughter want to shop, are they able to drop us off for free? I'd hate to pay for parking if we can avoid it.

I've heard about the .50 cent trolley too maybe we can do that it we are unable to get dropped off?

Thanks!

Another vote for Top Jump. Not for the Trampoline area, but for the climbing area. Super fun and one of the only Clip and Climb installations in the US (and the biggest).

Pulled the trigger and bought my season passes this morning for the family and I, once it became apparent that Dolly doesn't really "do" Black Friday or Cyber Monday. [emoji38]

We have an indoor family entertainment center at the Wilderness resort in sevierville that is open to the public. It has a ropes course, rock wall, drop ride, giant soft play ground, mini bowling, laser tag, laser maze and mini golf plus over 90 arcade games.

Check it out at: http://www.wildernessadventureforest.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

f00173016dbc27ed06148dacb4ef4216.jpgf68bb56ebe613abf57a18a73c073face.jpg

Another vote for Top Jump. Not for the Trampoline area, but for the climbing area. Super fun and one of the only Clip and Climb installations in the US (and the biggest).

I need to take Jacob to that, he'd love it.

I plan to visit DW Tuesday evening 6-9, and Wednesday 2-9 of the upcoming week. I have visited since Wild Eagle opened but never done Christmas or LR.

I have 2 questions:

1. If I were to take the Pigeon Forge Trolley, what time would you recommend parking to be at the park prior to the available admission times (6PM and 2PM)? I definitely want to maximize in-park time with so many things to do. Timesaver is an option for the second day depending on crowd levels but honestly I could skip a couple of the coasters I've done before and be happy.

2. Temps are predicted for a high of 45 on Wednesday, so to be safe I must try the night before to do Lightning Rod, but also will try to see one or 2 of the main shows. Would you do LR right at 6 or wait for nearer park close?

Edited by BlahBlahson

2. Temps are predicted for a high of 45 on Wednesday, so to be safe I must try the night before to do Lightning Rod, but also will try to see one or 2 of the main shows. Would you do LR right at 6 or wait for nearer park close?

Can't help you with the trolley but regarding LR, I would make a beeline for it as soon as you get into the park. You want to get on it, right? Then make it happen even if it means standing in line. If you've been on it before then I'd still say go right to it. To get there - after you enter the turnstiles at the entrance go right at that huge DW sign, and then it'll be on your right after just a couple minutes of walking. There is a big V6 or V8 Cafe right before it that has milkshakes and stuff. There are signs but I found the park slightly confusing at times and more often than not turned to the staff for directions, all of them were very helpful and some even walked me right to whatever location I was looking for. Report back on how it goes!

I know last year, when LR was running on cold days, it was actually one of the last coasters to close... I made a post last year that when I left only it and wild eagle were still running...

Later in the season, as it got more consistently cold, it didn't run very well but was that due to the cold or something else? We will never know

Can't help you with the trolley but regarding LR, I would make a beeline for it as soon as you get into the park. You want to get on it, right? Then make it happen even if it means standing in line. If you've been on it before then I'd still say go right to it...Report back on how it goes!

Makes sense! I guess it's tough because a 1 hour wait is quite a bit for the first night where that's 1/3 of the time I would be in the park. Or possibly longer, and it may make it so we can't really see a show on the first evening.

But I guess I would have to, it's a ride I've been wanting to do since August 7th, 2015 and I would be pretty devastated if it somehow stayed cold and the rides never reach temp on Wednesday.

Makes sense! I guess it's tough because a 1 hour wait is quite a bit for the first night where that's 1/3 of the time I would be in the park. Or possibly longer, and it may make it so we can't really see a show on the first evening.

That one hour wait will be tougher if it shuts down when you are next in line. Happened to me a few weeks ago. We got in line 4 times before we were able to ride b/c it shut down on a few occasions. Amazing ride though! We got a walk-on last row and one train wait front row. It opened as we were leaving for the day, dejected that we didn't get a ride on LR. then the app showed it as open and we were a two minute walk away.

Makes sense! I guess it's tough because a 1 hour wait is quite a bit for the first night where that's 1/3 of the time I would be in the park. Or possibly longer, and it may make it so we can't really see a show on the first evening. But I guess I would have to, it's a ride I've been wanting to do since August 7th, 2015 and I would be pretty devastated if it somehow stayed cold and the rides never reach temp on Wednesday.

I hear you. We rescheduled our trip multiple times and then finally this August we went down there for real. The ride was down for weeks and I was a mess but we weren't canceling again. I know DW is a great park blah blah blah but we didn't go through all this trouble to just eat Cinnamon Bread, we wanted LR as well. We arrived in Pigeon Forge in the evening, checked into our cabin and I noticed the app said LR was up with 1 train and a 90 minute wait. That's ok, we just drove 8 hours and blew a ton of money on a pet friendly cabin by the park solely so we could ride LR. We zipped over to the park, got in line, the thing went down as we approached the station. Heartbreak. It didn't open again that night or the next morning.

The 2nd of our 3rd day there I saw some action over at the ride and we decided to park ourselves at the ride from opening until the thing opened up. Good thing, about 90 minutes later the queue opened up and because we were so close to the front of the line we were on in no time. Was it worth it? YES. The ride is absolutely wild though and took several rides for us to get the layout memorized so we weren't yanked around quite so much. We did lose an item on it that was in a sealed pocket. It's that crazy. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING ON IT. No chapstick, certainly no wallets or keys even if it's in a pocket and I wouldn't even take chances with a zippered pocket. Good luck if you wear a watch, seriously. They have bins in the station and they'll put everything over there for you.

Anyway what I'm getting at is if you're going for LR then make that the focus of your trip to DW. Don't chance the ride going down or not even opening on another day because you don't feel like waiting in line, especially since you've been trying to get on it for 2 years. You'd be kicking yourself. The rest of the rides are easy to get on and you'll have plenty of time for them whether or not you spend the first night in line for LR. Also note: the train is awesome and the cinnamon bread seriously lives up to the hype.

LR at night is honestly the most amazing/scary coaster experience I’ve ever had. Got a few night rides during Luminights and not being able to see a thing while going through the top hat and the twist and shout made me grab the Oh sh!t bars for the first time haha. It seems like someone’s holding the pedal down to it in the dark and it’s getting faster.