TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

DOLLYWOOD MAKES LARGEST ENTERTAINMENT INVESTMENT IN HISTORY

Dolly Parton announces stellar 2018 entertainment lineup

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (Friday, November 3, 2017)—Dolly Parton today announced an unprecedented entertainment lineup to ensure the spotlight remains solely on her Dollywood theme park. The performing icon unveiled her unwavering commitment to Dollywood’s family entertainment offerings with an extraordinary investment for 2018.

Hailing the year as a “Season of Showstoppers,” Parton announced an entertainment lineup which represents an investment $1 million greater than any season-long entertainment schedule in the park’s history. Headlining 2018 are performances by The Marshall Tucker Band, The Drifters, T.G. Sheppard, Suzy Bogguss, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Crystal Gayle, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and a host of other award-winning artists.

“Music is the universal language that unites all of us,” Parton explained. “It celebrates our people, our families and our communities. I’ve made music my life’s work because I feel each and every one of us has a special song to sing. I’ve made sure that here at my Dollywood, we use music to encourage and inspire those songs in each and every one of our shows.”

Dollywood’s 2018 entertainment roster reads like the nomination list from an awards ceremony. A range of performers—from CMA Hall of Fame members to emerging artists—ensure there is something for everyone. Combined, the headlining artists performing at Dollywood in 2018 have 42 gold albums, 18 platinum albums, 30 Grammys, 14 Country Music Association Awards, 10 American Country Music Awards, five American Music Association Awards and 62 Dove Awards.

It all begins with Dollywood’s Festival of Nations (March 17-April 9) which includes headliners National Dance Company of Siberia, The Flamenco Kings starring Los Vivancos, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Hailing from South Africa, internationally-known Grammy award-winning group Ladysmith Black Mambazo—who worked with Parton on her 1996 album Treasures—has teamed with Paul Simon, Sarah McLachlan, Emmylou Harris, and many more.

April plays host to three weeks (April 11-29) of stellar performances during the all-new Spring Mix music series. Dollywood guests can expect performances by Dollywood entertainment alumnus Bogguss, Sheppard, Pam Tillis, Gayle, Connie Smith and Shenandoah during the first week of the event. The second week plays host to artists such as Amy Grant, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Larnelle Harris, David Phelps and comedienne Chonda Pierce – also known as “The Queen of Clean.”

Classic artists like The Marshall Tucker Band (Can’t You See and Heard it in a Love Song), The Drifters (Under the Boardwalk and Save the Last Dance for Me), Debby Boone (You Light Up My Life), The Atlanta Rhythm Section (So Into You and Imaginary Lover), Firefall (Just Remember I Love You and You Are the Woman), and Al Stewart (The Year of the Cat and Song on the Radio) entertain park guests during the final week of the event. Individual concert dates and show times will be announced at a later date.

Already one of the nation’s best bluegrass events, Dollywood’s Barbeque & Bluegrass (May 25- June 10) adds an extra week of concerts from the biggest names in the business. Guests should expect hundreds of live bluegrass performances during the festival with headline shows from Grammy and IBMA winner Rhonda Vincent & The Rage, and IMBA winners Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent, and many more.

Families have a multitude of world-renowned options to keep them entertained during Dollywood’s Summer Celebration. iLuminate, finalists on America’s Got Talent in 2011, bring their electrified glow-in-the-dark costumes to DP’s Celebrity Theater to perform dynamic dance routines and illusions to thrill guests. Summer 2018 also sees international touring sensation DRUMLine Live! visit the park with riveting rhythms, bold beats and ear-grabbing energy. Developed by the consultants of the hit 2002 movie Drumline, the band featured in this exhilarating show creates a synchronized musical masterpiece for guests—it’s more than just the typical halftime performance! Dan Dunn—America’s favorite speed painter—brings his innovative and mesmerizing PaintJam to Dollywood. Audiences will be astonished as he creates stunning works of art on a spinning 360-degree canvas, while he dances and moves throughout the performance.

Dollywood’s popular Rock the Smokies moves to August 25 with TobyMac and Crowder serving as headliners. Multiple contemporary Christian artists perform throughout the park during this exciting conclusion to the summer.

Dollywood’s Harvest Festival presented by Humana (Sept. 28 – Nov. 3) provides more fall family fun with the expansion of the new guest-favorite Great Pumpkin LumiNights and the largest Southern gospel event in America. During the festival, several hundred performances by Southern gospel royalty take place during the day, while at night, thousands of carved pumpkins illuminate the dark with an expanded number of displays and activities for families to enjoy. Dollywood guests also can enjoy the spectacular artistry of visiting crafters from across the country, or sample the special harvest-themed food items from Dollywood’s award-winning foods team.

Dollywood’s 2018 season again ends with America’s favorite theme park holiday event, Smoky Mountain Christmas. Voted as the best theme park Christmas event for a decade, Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas presented by Humana (Nov. 10, 2018 – Jan. 5, 2019) features four million spectacular lights, classic holiday entertainment—including Christmas in the Smokies and It’s a Wonderful Life—Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Friends, and the heartwarming Parade of Many Colors.

Dollywood won the 2017 Golden Ticket from Amusement Today for Best Entertainment at any theme park in the world. The honor was the ninth consecutive triumph for the park in that category. With Parton’s commitment to entertainment in 2018, Dollywood looks to lead the way in securing its 10th victory in the category.

Dollywood continues to celebrate its Year of the Family this season with a number of exciting festivals, performing groups, and two new attractions—Drop Line, a 230-ft. tall free-fall experience, and Whistle Punk Chaser, a junior coaster designed for Dollywood’s younger visitors. The season ends with America’s favorite Christmas theme park event, Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas presented by Humana (Nov. 4, 2017 – Jan. 1, 2018). Guests can upgrade their park admission during the Christmas festival to a season pass and receive next year for free!

For more information about Dollywood’s 2018 entertainment lineup, please visit http://www.dollywood.com or call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD.

-dollywood2017-

About The Dollywood Company: A highly-awarded and widely-recognized leader in the amusement industry, The Dollywood Company consists of the 150-acre Dollywood theme park; the 35-acre Dollywood’s Splash Country; Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort; and Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Cabins. As unique as its namesake and owner Dolly Parton, Dollywood is the 2010 Applause Award winner, the theme park industry’s highest accolade; winner of more than 30 Golden Ticket Awards; and recipient of 26 Brass Ring Awards for Live Entertainment (more than any other theme park in the world). In 2014, Dollywood was named a top three US theme park by USA Today and TripAdvisor recognized Dollywood as a top 20 worldwide theme park in 2015. Dollywood is open nine months a year (late March through early January) and offers rides and attractions, shows, and a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region. Dollywood’s Splash Country, recognized by the Travel Channel as one of the country’s most beautiful waterparks and named 2009’s Must-See Waterpark by the International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions, operates from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The 300-room Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort provides guests spectacular mountain views and family-friendly amenities next door to Dollywood theme park and Dollywood’s Splash Country. Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Cabins offers luxurious cabin accommodations overlooking Dollywood. For more information, call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD

3C7B0888-5278-4BDD-AEEB-5678ADB5B584.thumb.jpeg.becb2170ed5ffbb03432d20a6a24674d.jpeg

E4083997-4058-4434-BD4D-F70C4F85E8CE.thumb.jpeg.eb201a19139d77e0ae717e12589d52c8.jpeg

Here is Dollywoods 2018 Announcement

Is there a pic anywhere of the new "Wilderness Pass Plaza"? Dolly mentions it in the Live vid, but they never show it.

When dolly starts talking right after the preview view you can see an concept image on the stage screen of the old river battle station and the grounds around it as the plaza.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is there a pic anywhere of the new "Wilderness Pass Plaza"? Dolly mentions it in the Live vid, but they never show it.

When dolly starts talking right after the preview view you can see an concept image on the stage screen of the old river battle station and the grounds around it as the plaza.

Thanks! The way she worded it, it sounded like the performances would be held at the new Plaza, but that rendering doesn't look like a "theater" venue. Will the performances be held at the Celebrity Theater?

Here is Dollywoods 2018 Announcement

Thanks! The way she worded it, it sounded like the performances would be held at the new Plaza, but that rendering doesn't look like a "theater" venue. Will the performances be held at the Celebrity Theater?

Don't know. The building could be bigger than it looks. I mean look how small back porch theater would look in a rendering. Lol

Dollywood has sent us a press release announcing a year of historic investment in the park's entertainment offerings!

Dolly Parton today announced an unprecedented entertainment lineup to ensure the spotlight remains solely on her Dollywood theme park. The performing icon unveiled her unwavering commitment to Dollywood’s family entertainment offerings with an extraordinary investment for 2018.

Hailing the year as a “Season of Showstoppers,” Parton announced an entertainment lineup which represents an investment $1 million greater than any season-long entertainment schedule in the park’s history. Headlining 2018 are performances by The Marshall Tucker Band, The Drifters, T.G. Sheppard, Suzy Bogguss, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Crystal Gayle, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and a host of other award-winning artists.

“Music is the universal language that unites all of us,” Parton explained. “It celebrates our people, our families and our communities. I’ve made music my life’s work because I feel each and every one of us has a special song to sing. I’ve made sure that here at my Dollywood, we use music to encourage and inspire those songs in each and every one of our shows.”

Dollywood’s 2018 entertainment roster reads like the nomination list from an awards ceremony. A range of performers—from CMA Hall of Fame members to emerging artists—ensure there is something for everyone. Combined, the headlining artists performing at Dollywood in 2018 have 42 gold albums, 18 platinum albums, 30 Grammys, 14 Country Music Association Awards, 10 American Country Music Awards, five American Music Association Awards and 62 Dove Awards.

It all begins with Dollywood’s Festival of Nations (March 17-April 9) which includes headliners National Dance Company of Siberia, The Flamenco Kings starring Los Vivancos, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Hailing from South Africa, internationally-known Grammy award-winning group Ladysmith Black Mambazo—who worked with Parton on her 1996 album Treasures—has teamed with Paul Simon, Sarah McLachlan, Emmylou Harris, and many more.

April plays host to three weeks (April 11-29) of stellar performances during the all-new Spring Mix music series. Dollywood guests can expect performances by Dollywood entertainment alumnus Bogguss, Sheppard, Pam Tillis, Gayle, Connie Smith and Shenandoah during the first week of the event. The second week plays host to artists such as Amy Grant, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Larnelle Harris, David Phelps and comedienne Chonda Pierce – also known as “The Queen of Clean.”

Classic artists like The Marshall Tucker Band (Can’t You See and Heard it in a Love Song), The Drifters (Under the Boardwalk and Save the Last Dance for Me), Debby Boone (You Light Up My Life), The Atlanta Rhythm Section (So Into You and Imaginary Lover), Firefall (Just Remember I Love You and You Are the Woman), and Al Stewart (The Year of the Cat and Song on the Radio) entertain park guests during the final week of the event. Individual concert dates and show times will be announced at a later date.

Already one of the nation’s best bluegrass events, Dollywood’s Barbeque & Bluegrass (May 25- June 10) adds an extra week of concerts from the biggest names in the business. Guests should expect hundreds of live bluegrass performances during the festival with headline shows from Grammy and IBMA winner Rhonda Vincent & The Rage, and IMBA winners Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent, and many more.

Families have a multitude of world-renowned options to keep them entertained during Dollywood’s Summer Celebration. iLuminate, finalists on America’s Got Talent in 2011, bring their electrified glow-in-the-dark costumes to DP’s Celebrity Theater to perform dynamic dance routines and illusions to thrill guests. Summer 2018 also sees international touring sensation DRUMLine Live! visit the park with riveting rhythms, bold beats and ear-grabbing energy. Developed by the consultants of the hit 2002 movie Drumline, the band featured in this exhilarating show creates a synchronized musical masterpiece for guests—it’s more than just the typical halftime performance! Dan Dunn—America’s favorite speed painter—brings his innovative and mesmerizing PaintJam to Dollywood. Audiences will be astonished as he creates stunning works of art on a spinning 360-degree canvas, while he dances and moves throughout the performance.

Dollywood’s popular Rock the Smokies moves to August 25 with TobyMac and Crowder serving as headliners. Multiple contemporary Christian artists perform throughout the park during this exciting conclusion to the summer.

Dollywood’s Harvest Festival presented by Humana (Sept. 28 – Nov. 3) provides more fall family fun with the expansion of the new guest-favorite Great Pumpkin LumiNights and the largest Southern gospel event in America. During the festival, several hundred performances by Southern gospel royalty take place during the day, while at night, thousands of carved pumpkins illuminate the dark with an expanded number of displays and activities for families to enjoy. Dollywood guests also can enjoy the spectacular artistry of visiting crafters from across the country, or sample the special harvest-themed food items from Dollywood’s award-winning foods team.

Dollywood’s 2018 season again ends with America’s favorite theme park holiday event, Smoky Mountain Christmas. Voted as the best theme park Christmas event for a decade, Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas presented by Humana (Nov. 10, 2018 – Jan. 5, 2019) features four million spectacular lights, classic holiday entertainment—including Christmas in the Smokies and It’s a Wonderful Life—Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Friends, and the heartwarming Parade of Many Colors.

Dollywood won the 2017 Golden Ticket from Amusement Today for Best Entertainment at any theme park in the world. The honor was the ninth consecutive triumph for the park in that category. With Parton’s commitment to entertainment in 2018, Dollywood looks to lead the way in securing its 10th victory in the category.

Dollywood continues to celebrate its Year of the Family this season with a number of exciting festivals, performing groups, and two new attractions—Drop Line, a 230-ft. tall free-fall experience, and Whistle Punk Chaser, a junior coaster designed for Dollywood’s younger visitors. The season ends with America’s favorite Christmas theme park event, Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas presented by Humana (Nov. 4, 2017 – Jan. 1, 2018). Guests can upgrade their park admission during the Christmas festival to a season pass and receive next year for free!

For more information about Dollywood’s 2018 entertainment lineup, please visit http://www.dollywood.com or call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD.

IMG_0991.thumb.jpg.7addbd0f18745931529cf3207656f874.jpg

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.0ebbd94802aa7c7ce69f095b7e2cf408.jpg

Cool, I love when they do "show years" because I still think that's one of the main things that sets HFEC parks apart. The other regional parks just never can seem to put as much effort into shows - they just have a completely different mindset about that kind of entertainment in parks.

I've read through the press release twice though, and I don't see an explanation for the concept art pictures? Where is that going to be in the park?

I've read through the press release twice though, and I don't see an explanation for the concept art pictures? Where is that going to be in the park?

I am pretty sure that this is going in the spot of the now former River Battle. It also looks like the building in the concept art is the former ride station.

Guess no ride in River Battle's area. Which I guess a event venue in the back half of the park will be a good thing. I'm excited about some of the names they have coming for the new concerts! I'm curious to see if they make this area bigger and start removing that retaining wall that was across from where River Battle was. It's looking like this plaza will be the new hub if a new path splits off toward where they are clearing or the train loop.

Are all the rides open? Yes & No.. right now Friday is listing a low of 35 in Knoxville (Dollywood will be colder).. I'm sure it will be later Friday Night before it hits those temps. When it gets cold they have to close the coasters.. usually Tennessee Tornado is usually first to close and Wild Eagle is normally last.. Wild Eagle will continue to run until it gets what they call "Under Speed". That usually only happens if it's cold for a good period of time, but I have seen it run as cold as 30 outside because it wasn't under speed yet

LR ran fine last fall until the fires and was down a lot in December.. it was unclear if that was due to it being so cold or not

So while all the rides are supposed to be open, as temps drop the coasters will close! Just be sure to ride them early and pick YOUR FAVORITE to ride during the dark.. don't bank on riding all after dark because when it gets dark, the temp drops quickly and the coasters close fairly quickly.. so choose 1 to ride after dark and hit it first. Then go to the next if they are still open

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Are all the rides open? Yes & No.. right now Friday is listing a low of 35 in Knoxville (Dollywood will be colder).. I'm sure that will be later Friday Night before it hits those temps. When it gets cold they have to close the coasters.. usually Tennessee Tornado is usually first to close and Wild Eagle is normally last.. Wild Eagle will continue to run until it gets what they call "Under Speed". That usually only happens if it's cold for a good period of time, but I have seen it run as cold as 30 outside because it wasn't under speed yet

LR ran fine last fall until the fires and was down a lot in December.. it was unclear if that was due to it being so cold or not

So while all the rides are supposed to be open, as temps drop the coasters will close! Just be sure to ride them early and pick YOUR FAVORITE to ride during the dark.. don't bank on riding all after dark because when it gets dark, the temp drops quickly and the coasters close fairly quickly.

Thanks! That'll help plan the order of rides. Friday has a high of 58 and the park opens at 2 so hopefully we can get to everything in time. If anything is down we'll just put the day's admission toward 2018 passes and go back next year.

Are all the rides open? Yes & No.. right now Friday is listing a low of 35 in Knoxville (Dollywood will be colder).. I'm sure that will be later Friday Night before it hits those temps. When it gets cold they have to close the coasters.. usually Tennessee Tornado is usually first to close and Wild Eagle is normally last.. Wild Eagle will continue to run until it gets what they call "Under Speed". That usually only happens if it's cold for a good period of time, but I have seen it run as cold as 30 outside because it wasn't under speed yet

So while all the rides are supposed to be open, as temps drop the coasters will close! Just be sure to ride them early and pick YOUR FAVORITE to ride during the dark.. don't bank on riding all after dark because when it gets dark, the temp drops quickly and the coasters close fairly quickly.

Thanks! That'll help plan the order of rides. Friday has a high of 58 and the park opens at 2 so hopefully we can get to everything in time. If anything is down we'll just put the day's admission toward 2018 passes and go back next year.

Yup, you should be fine until dark. I will say the few "cold" nights we have had this season, the temp dropped very quickly after dark and it's getting dark around 6 now that the time has changed.. I'd imagine you will be fine until 7ish at least and probably later. It's supposed to hit the 35 degree mark before midnight though but I'd be willing to bet it'll be after the park closes at 9 before it gets that cold

The coasters start closing in the low 40s (or that's what Dollywood says anyways) so just keep an eye on temps in my personal experience they don't close until the upper 30s.. so yeah just play it by ear and ride Tornado first if you want to ride it in the dark (it's probably my favorite coaster in the dark)

At Dollywood today and I'd say their are less than 1000 guest in the entire park.. possibly less than 500! You can walk entire sections and see no one other than host..

On a side note. Wild Eagle is still having an issue with wasps and has yet to open.. Firechaser is also having major issues today and didn't open with the park and has been down the majority of the time.. it opens here and there only to be closed again

LR is running great and 0 wait!

Also to answer the question about Carol of Trees, it seems to be gone. They didn't even put the large tree up this year.. they have a smaller tree with just balls on it outside Market Square but the large tree isn't up! I found it kind of sad not to see the large tree but overall still a great time and beautiful lights..

Planning a winter break trip to the area and visiting dollywood for the first time. What kind of crowd can I expect from Dec 26th to 31st? Also which one of the days is likely to be less crowded and what should I expect in terms of ride operation?
Like most activities around Christmas, it can be very crowded!! But it all depends on weather.. If it's cold the crowds will probably be light, at least until dark and folks will show up around dark for the Christmas activities.. But if it's a mild Christmas like we have had the past few years in the area, it might be fairly crowded!! Keep in mind though, the Dollywood Christmas crowd is older.. they aren't ride riders.. the are show seekers and shoppers.. I was there a few seasons ago for Christmas (late November though maybe early December) and it was one of the so called record breaking days.. folks parked at Splash Country.. it was a 70 degree day or so in late November or early December... Rides didn't have a significant wait though.. some may of been around 15 mins... Firechaser was the longest and the only ride we didn't ride that day.. but firechaser always has a longer wait than most, even today when it was open it had the longest wait in the park! 5 mins! Everything else was walk-on even LR. Park was dead though!

Also to answer the question about Carol of Trees, it seems to be gone. They didn't even put the large tree up this year.. they have a smaller tree with just balls on it outside Market Square but the large tree isn't up! I found it kind of sad not to see the large tree but overall still a great time and beautiful lights..

I saw where Carowinds put in a large tree similar to the one in Timber Canyon. I wonder if DW sold it to them or if they have it in storage until next year when the PFKARB (Plaza Formerly Known As River Battle) will be decked out for Christmas.

I saw where Carowinds put in a large tree similar to the one in Timber Canyon. I wonder if DW sold it to them or if they have it in storage until next year when the PFKARB (Plaza Formerly Known As River Battle) will be decked out for Christmas.

Speaking of plaza, and take this with a grain of salt, today was dead but was a weekday meaning a lot of Dollywood management was out and about.. while eating we overheard three folks in Dollywood Polos with laptops talking about "Planning for the new area is coming along nicely and currently the only hurdle we are facing is trying to figure out the best way to get guest to the new area".. After that they moved on down the path to their next location I guess so I didn't hear anything else and was eating so didn't plan on following them haha.

Again, no idea who these three folks were.. no idea if they were managers or not but they weren't dressed like regular Dollywood employees, they were taking notes, and had laptops. When the park is dead you just notice a lot more when you look around.. also they could of been talking about the new plaza so who knows.. or they might be talking about the clearing on the train route people keep mentioning (which I saw and not much was being done today but it was raining earlier).

Worlds Of Fun is putting up an identical tree in their park (screenshot below from Facebook today). Pretty sure they were specially made for the CF parks, not used/purchased from another park. The same looking tree will likely pop up at the other CF parks as well.

wofwf20171.JPG.65130d12e98038b09e588be658da210b.JPG

Most parks with Christmas events have that style tree, that's one reason it is so sad not to see it at Dollywood, they had a smaller one up but not the giant massive one from years past