TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Anyone consider the possibility River Battle might be getting removed for a Mack coaster? Granted it might not be anything on the scale of Time Traveler but HFEC tends to purchase attractions in pairs from a manufacturer. When SDC gets something new Dollywood gets something similar down the line and vise versa.

There probably is room there for a coaster, if it shares the hill with wild eagle but it would be cramped I think.

I still think they are using the area for their expansion because that area is still the closest to the service road.. If they open the new area on the hillside though, I do see a large Mack coaster going up there!

But remember when LR was built, it was said in several interviews that Dollywood wouldn't be building anymore coasters for a while and had other ideas to keep the park more well rounded.. now how long is that while? Who knows! Might be a couple years or might be 10+ haha

You know they built like 3 coasters in under 4 - 5 years so a while to them might just be a few years haha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

The biggest issue with Dollywood playgrounds is they take a lot of space yet aren't utalized much. Dollywood has tested and tried more interactive areas than most parks I know and while they used to be crowded, over the years less and less people used them.. even the new ones they tried were used less and less..

While parents like playgrounds so they can rest, I don't think people travel to amusement parks for playgrounds so they aren't a big attendance grabber.. now I know, a well rounded park needs more than attendance grabbers but Dollywood is fairly well rounded without the playgrounds.. the small few they have aren't ever very crowded

Oooh, I'm about to wax philosophical here for a bit. Bear with me here.

I will fully admit that I'm a bit biased (actually a lot) because I've devoted the majority of my time as a young professional to looking at how participatory attractions can be incorporated into theme park experiences. A playground is certainly a smaller investment from a financial standpoint, but it can take up just as much physical space as a traditional flat ride, which, as you implied, is a much better "attendance grabber". For that reason, in existing parks, playgrounds seem to work better as an "extra" to a new themed land or area around a big ride, and specifically geared toward the very young age demographic that can't yet experience anything "big".

That also has to do with the very nature of most immersive theme parks, where individual "stops", such as coasters, rides, and shows, are connected together with singular pathways. When we as guests want to go to a particular attraction, say, Thunderhead or the Cinnamon Bread place, we become fixated on that goal. We don't tend to notice that "extra" attraction, which could be a play area, photo opportunity, water gag, or something else. It's not enough to distract us from our goal unless we are bringing along a young family member that is curious enough to be looking all over the place all the time, and that would notice it.

It's why we have those little play areas in the plazas of major attractions, such as Barnstormer. Once the teenagers of the family get in line, the goal then becomes to try and find a place close where the parents can rest and the little ones can be distracted until the teenagers get off and rejoin the family. The play area serves that purpose.

That being said, I'd be completely okay trading interactivity for influence in this case - a spinning coaster would be pretty cool, especially if the SDC-DL relationship continues to hold true.

Love discussion!

I can see them setting up a temporary playground while they work on the expansion in that area, I just don't see them taking out a five million dollar ride for a playground haha..

I do wish they had a few more "splahs pads" around the park.. quick way to cool off and quick place for kids to have fun as well

^ Agree with the splash pads idea. Every where in the world I've been, at a lot of parks, kids just can't get enough

of getting wet, LOL. Especially in those warmer times. Parents can't keep them dry. It's a losing battle, lol.

I could also see them expanding towards the top of the hill behind Mystery's Mine first section. It is a fairly large, flat area that they use to store equipment and ride parts. (see below) They will have to do quite a bit more grading to get ADA access up to the train loop, but this could be a nice initial expansion and could house quite a bit of attractions.

document1.thumb.jpg.33c649a61112a6203179a92fa4729b65.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

Anyone consider the possibility River Battle might be getting removed for a Mack coaster? Granted it might not be anything on the scale of Time Traveler but HFEC tends to purchase attractions in pairs from a manufacturer. When SDC gets something new Dollywood gets something similar down the line and vise versa.

It took some time for Dollywood to get it's B&M but it did. And...Dolly got the second Gerstlauer when SDC's version of Mystery Mine was shelved during the throes of the recession and HFE decided it didn't want another Euro Fighter. That should have went where the Waterboggin was instead it gave Dolly their Powder Keg, but milder.

Dolly has lost more rides over the years than SDC. They are getting rid of a 10 year old 5 million plus Mack Splash Battle ( I have to think they'll move it to WA or sell it), A Huss Topple Tower boondoggle and 5h3y crqpcanned a 5 year old Adventure Mountain that was Millions of dollars.

Their newer flats came at the cost of older ones

HFC converted Buzzsaw Falls to Powder Keg, and closed the waterboggin. Any rides removed were brought back(balloons and carousel) sans a ferris wheelFor those that don't know Mountain Sidewinder is a bit tamer than the SDC counterpart. Supposedly some injuries played a role in SDC's closing.

If Dollywood did take a breather from coasters that would allow SDC to "catch up" a bit in 2020 as Branson lost the GCI when Celebration City closed along with that Gerstauer. The concept art of the spinners clearly showed one using the tower from the waterboggin as part of a coaster, would surprise me if that is still it's future.

I know he's referring to Wild Adventures, I'm just trying to make sense of what he's talking about. There's no correlation between how much a park is adding each year and how likely the owners are to sell it.

Unless the park is that very profitable, which I doubt considering its close proximity to SFOG, there is no point in keeping a park like that open. If a company is profiting off of a park, they're going to invest in it and it doesn't seem like they're investing in this park much at all. This park should get a coaster before SDC or Dollywood even considers adding one.

Wild Adventures almost 4 hours away from SFOG, the same drive time as it is from SFOG to Dollywood. Wild Adventures dry park doesn't get that busy outside of the family attractions, which is why they haven't been investing in thrill rides. The water park does extremely well and they have been expanding it rapidly. I think the park is just fine and there is a decent chance we could see River Battle move there.

Also, whether or not the park is profitable has little correlation to how much money is invested in it. Plus, Wild Adventures has had a lot invested into the water park, quality of operations, and beautification of the property. I'm guessing those all have a better ROI for them than large thrill rides.

I think the smart decision for HFE is to send it to WA.. I mean, they would be able to get a 5 Million Dollar ride for nearly nothing (yeah I'm sure HFE would have to pay Dollywood Company for a portion of it plus there would be moving cost) but it would make a good family attraction for WA

HFE has only owned the park for 10 years or so and have been mostly trying to stabilize the park, so I'm sure every bit helps haha

See...I knew people would be upset and in their feelings about losing River Battle at Dollywood:

dwcomment.jpg.f5880efd33334692051f5c25b7bfd033.jpg

This lady on Facebook is on another level with it. You're all going to hell for lusting after each other in bathing suits...lol

See...I knew people would be upset and in their feelings about losing River Battle at Dollywood:

[attachment=0]dwcomment.jpg[/attachment]

This lady on Facebook is on another level with it. You're all going to hell for lusting after each other in bathing suits...lol

Live a week in Cleveland Tennesse and this will not be shocking to you in any way.

Live a week in Cleveland Tennesse and this will not be shocking to you in any way.

I'm sure. My mother's family is from there, however are nothing like this lady. BTW the lady who made the post lives somewhere in VA.

So I take it this lady never takes her family to the beach? Never to swim parties at the YMCA (Young Man Christian Association)? I guess the never go to church pool parties?

That's an awesome video! I *LOVE* mounted backseat POV's, you don't see them very often, but I find that it gives a really interesting view of how the train is moving through the different elements.

I actually prefer back seat mounted POVs. They are more difficult to get mainly because:

- Most people seem to prefer front seat so I have to focus on that and it depends on time.

- Many times due to the train design it's hard to get a good mounted view without much obstruction.

- I only like to post the back seat POVs if they are actually very smooth. This one was a bit borderline but mostly due to the seat in front being wobbly because it was empty.

I've had a few other back seat mounted POVs that I ended up not posting because sometimes from the back seat the coaster videos much rougher than it rides, which is often not the same for the front seat POV.

Edited by robbalvey

So I take it this lady never takes her family to the beach? Never to swim parties at the YMCA (Young Man Christian Association)? I guess the never go to church pool parties?

There's a Christian summer camp not too far from where I live, and they prohibit two-piece swimsuits for females in their pool. They also require that shorts and skirts reach the fingertips when the person is standing with their arms at their side.

My church usually prohibited two piece but had no rules on skirts or shorts

Heck, when I was a aquatics director for the Boy Scouts of America (the local council for Dollywood GSMC) we required a one piece for the girls but just to avoid any issues between the guys and girls haha.. with that being said, shorts or skirts weren't required

I guess my point is, you can't Shelter yourself that much.. If you do, you have to live in a bubble! I mean, you can't even go on vacation without seeing people in bikinis at the hotel pool.. lol, and the beach. Do they never take their kids or family to the beach? Even at Disney I have seen people in bikinis at the resort waiting on the bus to the water park.

There's a Christian summer camp not too far from where I live, and they prohibit two-piece swimsuits for females in their pool. They also require that shorts and skirts reach the fingertips when the person is standing with their arms at their side.

....and thank you for reminding me why I prefer to spend time in Europe! Where you can see a proper pair of breasts on public advertisements in theme parks without people freaking out!

IMG_7412.thumb.JPG.d42257de00964927fd78d8cb97fe1bcf.JPG

....and thank you for reminding me why I prefer to spend time in Europe! Where you can see a proper pair of breasts on public advertisements in theme parks without people freaking out!

Well now, if hell is a coaster I'm on the first train out.

This comment section is my new favorite thing. How dare Dollywood remove a good decent Christian water ride such as this. Now they "will be judged by god" and "maybe even have to shut it (the park) down".

PS: Everyone else in the comment section picked up on the fact that she shared a picture of Obi Wan Kenobi from Star Wars on her page thinking it was Jesus. This really can't be stressed enough.

That's an awesome video! I *LOVE* mounted backseat POV's, you don't see them very often, but I find that it gives a really interesting view of how the train is moving through the different elements.

I actually prefer back seat mounted POVs. They are more difficult to get mainly because:

- Most people seem to prefer front seat so I have to focus on that and it depends on time.

- Many times due to the train design it's hard to get a good mounted view without much obstruction.

- I only like to post the back seat POVs if they are actually very smooth. This one was a bit borderline but mostly due to the seat in front being wobbly because it was empty.

I've had a few other back seat mounted POVs that I ended up not posting because sometimes from the back seat the coaster videos much rougher than it rides, which is often not the same for the front seat POV.

I can definitely see the point about it being difficult to find good places to mount the camera in the back. Watching the cars in front wobble/shake/rattle/whatever around the track is actually one of the main reasons I like these mounted backseat POVs. But I can also understand why the majority prefers the smooth front seat POVs.

LOL that picture from Gröna Lund is great! I was in Denmark two months ago, and there I saw a bus (regular bus) in a bus station with a big ad for a plastic surgery clinic, featuring plenty of uncensored boobs on the side of the bus.

My favorite comment over there was a woman saying she wasn't sad the ride was leaving cause she rode the ride with her 6 month year old and was upset when he got shot in the face with water. It looks like she finally deleted it because she didn't like all the comments of people telling her that she was moron lol

I don't even know how you get on that ride without clearly seeing that people are shooting water at one another.