TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm not sad to see River Battle go, but I actually thought the ride looked pretty good contrary to most other opinions.

I think the employees who had to hear that song all day will be most excited to see it go though.

That enchanting humming of small rodents, Im sure they loved hearing that 10 hours a day

I don't know if I missed this anywhere on this thread but this was on Dollywood River Battles page.

"As the Dollywood experience evolves, we always look for new ways to entertain families and help them create memories they will share for a lifetime. In looking to the future, we have a number of unique and innovative ideas designed to help your family create new traditions and share special moments at Dollywood. To prepare the park for these opportunities, River Battle will be removed at the conclusion of the summer. The ride’s final day of operation is Sept. 4. We look forward to sharing the news about our next project later this year. Please enjoy all of Dollywood’s other award-winning rides and attractions."

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/River-Battle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So now that we know RB is closing the week after next, what would fit in its footprint realistically? Also looks like Dollywood is trying to subtly reply to everyone that's upset by the removal. One woman actually said "go ahead and put in another roller coaster that puts the lives of others at danger". I just rolled my eyes.

IMG_2417.thumb.PNG.c8b2172f8b04107330ed3b9289d7c251.PNG

IMG_2418.thumb.PNG.60241d08df96cce0e5f1efb72517983a.PNG

I don't know if I missed this anywhere on this thread

Yes. It was hiding in the (not exaggerating) 32 consecutive posts discussing it immediately before your post.

What I meant was if I missed the quoted announcement from their website.

I can read that there is a bunch of talk about the ride already on the 32 posts.

Edited by pinslasher

Eh, I won't miss River Battle. That sort of ride is only really fun if you have good interaction with other riders and with non-riders. Tom and Huck's River Blast gets that sort of interaction being in the busy Crossroads section, but River Battle just felt like it was on the way to something else and people didn't stop to interact with the riders. They can do way better with that land. This can only be an improvement.

So now that we know RB is closing the week after next, what would fit in its footprint realistically? Also looks like Dollywood is trying to subtly reply to everyone that's upset by the removal. One woman actually said "go ahead and put in another roller coaster that puts the lives of others at danger". I just rolled my eyes.

The announcement says "We have a number of innovative ideas" and then it goes on to say "to help the park prepare for these" which is why the are closing it..

To me "a number" means several things are coming.. "to prepare" means RB has to close before they can even start their next idea..

Remember, when they announced their 10 year plan they said it would include the start of their new area expansion.. at that time they said the expansion was to be up the train route and that there will be a lot of work involved to get there.. new infrastructure, new utilities.. everything.. (find some old interviews about the 10 year renovation and you will see what I mean)

Earlier this year Dollywood sent out a survey about theme ideas for a "new area"

Look in this photo at the close proximity of RB to the train loop service road. What better place to expand to their new area than this! Retaining wall is already there, service road is already there which can be used as part of the new area.. I'm sure the new area will be another "loop" like Dollywood has been building so the exit/entrance of the other side of the loop can be the service road beside firechaser

I'm like earnirocker and believe this is the start of their expansion and RB was just in the way of it626460ef3319e58cedf515405a522d5d.jpgb4165f59727f1938e003e3802d46e6cc.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

The announcement says "We have a number of innovative ideas" and then it goes on to say "to help the park prepare for these" which is why the are closing it..

To me "a number" means several things are coming.. "to prepare" means RB has to close before they can even start their next idea..

Remember, when they announced their 10 year plan they said it would include the start of their new area expansion.. at that time they said the expansion was to be up the train route and that there will be a lot of work involved to get there.. new infrastructure, new utilities.. everything.. (find some old interviews about the 10 year renovation and you will see what I mean)

Earlier this year Dollywood sent out a survey about theme ideas for a "new area"

Look in this photo at the close proximity of RB to the train loop service road. What better place to expand to their new area than this! Retaining wall is already there, service road is already there which can be used as part of the new area.. I'm sure the new area will be another "loop" like Dollywood has been building so the exit/entrance of the other side of the loop can be the service road beside firechaser

I'm like earnirocker and believe this is the start of their expansion and RB was just in the way of it626460ef3319e58cedf515405a522d5d.jpgb4165f59727f1938e003e3802d46e6cc.jpg

I remember reading years ago that the upper train loop is about the same size as the lower loop. So we could see 2 maybe 3 new areas in the future of dollywood.

Dollywood has a TON of land up there so there is plenty of room for tons of areas! I remember, we talked about the possibility of Dollywood eventually putting a station up there and turning the train into a transportation system..

Also, just random and I know it won't be soon but how long until you think Dollywood builds another resort? I think of this everyday when I pass the road "Dollywood Resorts BLVD" plural! I know this is probably 10+ maybe even further down the road but I see it happening.. maybe a value option?

I agree, is what I'm wondering is will they start with the path under fire Chaser up that road and up behind TT's overbank? I mean that's an incline, and as far as making it accessible for wheelchairs and elders without disturbing the ground FC sits on makes me thing. Yes they can cut right through the hill across from RB, go diagonally with a low grade slope and get there. I just don't know how confident I am in them putting a huge attraction up in that field at the train loop. Would they want to disrupt that farmland-esque setting with a Smoky Mountain View? I feel like a lot of changes are coming, but I honestly can't see where. I watched a recent (as in today) interview with Wes Ramey about Luminights. He spoke on Luminights, LR, and at the end the interviewer asks "I hear things aren't completely out of the box just yet and you all have a 10 year plan to add every year which is great" and Wes smiles and replies "No we still have some time between now and December and as you've noticed we didn't announce anything for next year....yet, so"

Dollywood has a TON of land up there so there is plenty of room for tons of areas! I remember, we talked about the possibility of Dollywood eventually putting a station up there and turning the train into a transportation system..

Also, just random and I know it won't be soon but how long until you think Dollywood builds another resort? I think of this everyday when I pass the road "Dollywood Resorts BLVD" plural! I know this is probably 10+ maybe even further down the road but I see it happening.. maybe a value option?

I see them doing a mid level option with convention space, or another hotel building and make a larger pool / entertainment area connecting them. I don't see them building value, way too much competition in town who would underprice them. It's curious to see how development will happen, the Burger King and gas station have opened within the last year, and Veterans will be connected to more roads.

I agree, is what I'm wondering is will they start with the path under fire Chaser up that road and up behind TT's overbank? I mean that's an incline, and as far as making it accessible for wheelchairs and elders without disturbing the ground FC sits on makes me thing. Yes they can cut right through the hill across from RB, go diagonally with a low grade slope and get there. I just don't know how confident I am in them putting a huge attraction up in that field at the train loop. Would they want to disrupt that farmland-esque setting with a Smoky Mountain View? I feel like a lot of changes are coming, but I honestly can't see where. I watched a recent (as in today) interview with Wes Ramey about Luminights. He spoke on Luminights, LR, and at the end the interviewer asks "I hear things aren't completely out of the box just yet and you all have a 10 year plan to add every year which is great" and Wes smiles and replies "No we still have some time between now and December and as you've noticed we didn't announce anything for next year....yet, so"
I figured they would start at firechaser bc the service road already connects with wilderness pasd but if that was the case why close RB now? So I now see them starting there at RB personally with a small area for now and building from there

Link said interview? I can’t find it

I'm not a huge fan of those "splash battle" type of rides so I feel no loss for it leaving. That being said, isn't it sort of weird that newer attractions in that part of the park haven't lasted very long? There are three attractions (two of them were pretty major additions when they first opened) that didn't last a decade: Adventure Mountain (which I actually still like better than Firechaser, just being honest), the Topple Tower, and now River Battle.

Those last two I don't really care about, and while I don't expect parts to cater to my own personal preferences, it is a little odd that so much money has been spent on attractions that didn't have legs.

Oh well... Hopefully it will be replaced with something much bigger, better, and have longer staying power!

^Yeah, I really enjoyed Adventure Mountain when it was around and thought it was a great component of the park that is usually an upcharge. It was extensive, too. Of all the water rides to go, this is the one for me, and it would be interesting to see an expansion out this way that involves multiple rides. The park is really in need of another area with multiple flats, imo. Spread the guests out a bit. I am curious to see what ends up happening here.

I agree with the statements of the park needing to show more love towards that end of the park. More flat rides would be a welcomed addition as that north western area of the park has about 3 coasters with little flat rides in between them. Im in the minority of liking Splash Battle but I have to concur it does take up a pretty good chunk of land which could be uaed for a nice flats package.

I'm not a huge fan of those "splash battle" type of rides so I feel no loss for it leaving. That being said, isn't it sort of weird that newer attractions in that part of the park haven't lasted very long? There are three attractions (two of them were pretty major additions when they first opened) that didn't last a decade: Adventure Mountain (which I actually still like better than Firechaser, just being honest), the Topple Tower, and now River Battle.

Those last two I don't really care about, and while I don't expect parts to cater to my own personal preferences, it is a little odd that so much money has been spent on attractions that didn't have legs.

Oh well... Hopefully it will be replaced with something much bigger, better, and have longer staying power!

I agree. Certainly seems like poor planning. I also have a bit of anger towards the removal of Adventure Mountain as it was unique, different, exercise, and amazing!!!

One of the interviews I read about AM being removed had to deal with the same issue.. it allowed for future expansion up the train loop..

With all these very new rides being removed, it has to be for a "big" reason.. maybe they were told, you have to remove these or it won't be possible to get up the mountain? By an engineering firm and maybe this is why they are waiting towards the end of their 10 year plan to do this.. they wanted more time out of their rides, especially a 5 million dollar one like river battle

I agree. Certainly seems like poor planning. I also have a bit of anger towards the removal of Adventure Mountain as it was unique, different, exercise, and amazing!!!

Adventure Mountain was a great attraction. It was sold and is now at R adventure park in Logan, Oh. Not all the course has been assembled there and it was rebuilt in a different configuration at parts. Still cool though. Glad to see it didn't go 100% to waste. b9ad543da8345609b83d7dc01ed6ae6b.jpgfb4a304ee0571a5d11ae63b139eec7f5.jpg

The only reason I can think of for the removal of the newer rides in Wilderness Pass is that the recession caused them to change course. Before the recession hit, they had just added River Battle and had plans for a hotel and Adventure Mountain. After it hit, all their plans got put on hold. Since then, the course that they originally planned has been replaced by the 10-year plan that is in action today. I think the removals of River Battle and Adventure Mountain are the result of a change in plans that wasn't expected when they were first installed.

Adventure Mountain was a great attraction. It was sold and is now at R adventure park in Logan, Oh. Not all the course has been assembled there and it was rebuilt in a different configuration at parts. Still cool though. Glad to see it didn't go 100% to waste.

IT LIVES! I can die happy now.

Hopefully Dollywood replaces River Battle with another interactive game / attraction or play area and not just a few flat rides. They got rid of the little playground for Whistle Punk Chaser, and the one in front of Firechaser Express is smaller than that one was.

The biggest issue with Dollywood playgrounds is they take a lot of space yet aren't utalized much. Dollywood has tested and tried more interactive areas than most parks I know and while they used to be crowded, over the years less and less people used them.. even the new ones they tried were used less and less..

My favorite area, which was used a lot early in Dollywoods history was the Lego and imagination area but as I grew up I noticed it was used less and less.. now it's an empty barn in the fair (might not actually be empty but you know what I mean haha)

While parents like playgrounds so they can rest, I don't think people travel to amusement parks for playgrounds so they aren't a big attendance grabber.. now I know, a well rounded park needs more than attendance grabbers but Dollywood is fairly well rounded without the playgrounds.. the small few they have aren't ever very crowded