TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Early in the season, it had a lot of CD and temporary closures and it was hot outside so it wasn't weather related.. This summer it seems fine, although it closes early everyday.. rumor has it, that's just because it's dark back there and they close before dark which I understand.. it does still have several TCs during the day, but honestly all rides probably have a few Temp Closures for safety checks and whatnot

Edit: I think your response was actually directed towards the Thunderhead comment.. he must of posted same time I did because I didn't see his post

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

So at the park yesterday I noticed Thunderhead was running one train, with the other train in pieces. Routine Maintenance or will we hear more tomorrow?

Daredevil Falls has had a lot of downtime this season - it worries me that we might see this go. I would not be upset if River Battle went - not my fav, and its kind of "out of place."

DollywoodLover asked what the new sound in the Tornado workshop is - Its the sound of storm sirens.

MindbenderManiac waiting on tomorrow with baited breath!!

Maintenance. Dollywood, from what I heard, tries to refurbish at least one coaster train a season.. last year it was one of Tornados trains. The entire train disappeared, about this time and was gone for a couple months.. so I'd bet it's being refurbished.. I doubt anything will happen to Thunderhead unless they do plan to RMC it but I doubt that, especially at this point.. maybe 10 years down the road but not now

I hope they invest some money in Thunderhead, it is in desperate need for another retrack.

I was really surprised how much both of us loved Thunderhead when we visited last month, but it does desperately need some major retracking done. On the brake run at least half the train would say something along the lines of "ow, now I have a headache" or "ouch!" I personally find Grizzly at KD and Wildcat at HP worse but it'd be great to see Thunderhead get some serious love.

While I would LOVE for a new ride to be announced, the sources I've spoken with continue to deny anything that "big". I can't reveal who, but they would hear about it before any park employees...

I will say this, if there is a new ride announced (or even a major ride removed) it will be the biggest secret they've ever kept (and I could no longer trust my sources lol). I'd love for Dolly to drop a "One more thing..." tomorrow!

And I, too, miss the Flooded Mine.

Daredevil Falls was fantastic. It is in kind of a weird spot and doesn't have too much signage though, but it'd be a shame if that ride is on the chopping block.

I saw it closed for my 2 visits last year, but it seemed to be running fine for me this year.

A lot for Dollywoods rides are kind of "hidden".. to an extent, I feel they plan it this way. During Christmas you would never know Slidewinder or DDF is even around unless you look for them.

Maybe it wasn't planned, but Dollywood does pay attention to the small details

Well, since Herschend buys majors rides in pairs atgrom a single Manufacturer, what will Dollywood's Mack Be? The sole exception to this trend was that Dolly got two Gerstlauer coasters and that was mainly due to SDC's Mystery Mine type eurofighter got delayed due to the 08 meltdown and eventually changed to Firechaser Express

Let's look at the pattern

2 RMC'S(Outlaw and lighting)

2 B&Ms albeit some time apart.(Wildfire and Wild Egale)

2 Mack Splash Battles

2 S&S Giant Swings

2 Arrows(Tenn Tornado and Thunderation)

2 GCIs ( Thunderhead and OzCat)

OzCat was at Celebration City but it was the Branson GCI

There has been been some one offs BuzzSaw Falls and then it's conversion to Powder Keg. But history shows it comes in twos even the old rides like the river raft rides and FITH and Blazing Fury, The Waterboggan rides (SDC lost theirs)and even two Flooded Mines (Dolly lost theirs)

They also put an S&S swing in at Wild Adventures didn't they? Or was it already there before HFE purchased them?

I bet they buy in pairs to keep price down, similar to why Six Flags builds so many "Cloans"

Edited by dstephe9

Why not show some love for the new kiddie coaster? Since I have a 7 and 8 year old I was happy to get them a ride on Whistle Punk Chaser. Quick photo report below:

IMG_7810.thumb.JPG.3b5852935d9a30e31609298c43422faa.JPG

Theming is definitely a step up from the Sideshow spin.

IMG_7811.thumb.JPG.736dc7fd640315ae6e379a6b704dff85.JPG

Kayla is ready for an new credit!

IMG_7812.thumb.JPG.0da4156fee1504afff366676c0509068.JPG

More theming.

IMG_7813.thumb.JPG.12f8b5fbc643287fdf94a453be48a2c9.JPG

You know you wanted to see a kiddie coaster control panel so I obliged.

IMG_7814.thumb.JPG.aff0fc3ec089ddc4fc8842ab8176f8c8.JPG

Really nice job on the station. My kids were shocked that all of this fit in where the old playground was.

IMG_7815.thumb.JPG.930a2481f035a443a42124cf89e838d3.JPG

The ride does three circuits.

IMG_7816.thumb.JPG.951bb82f2c04e889555f070586cefdf5.JPG

IMG_7817.thumb.JPG.22ec0a30d59bcb36362f9c13aa5fcd41.JPG

IMG_7818.thumb.JPG.a1ca79d94f342fbb9d6c3568e702c4fd.JPG

If this was a Cedar Fair park in the 90's it would of been called Thunderhead Jr.

IMG_7819.thumb.JPG.1bc2e5f886b8129fff00bd3377ff535b.JPG

Looks good in the Thunderhead's footprint.

IMG_7820.thumb.JPG.0f09fd0157c5b250f43b62f4873e1980.JPG

Follow the rules.

IMG_7823.thumb.JPG.5f6723a24b505d50eee5d7978c0b6b46.JPG

Another credit for my kids.

Which begs the question, Drop Line was a Funtime product, could SDC be getting a Funtime in turn? With The relocation for the S&S shot tower to SDC, that leaves a Star Flyer and that would glorious giving the setting and the lake in the distance

They also put an S&S swing in at Wild Adventures didn't they? Or was it already there before HFE purchased them?

It was put in 2 years before HFE purchased the park. It was removed in 2011( or prior) and is now at Fun Spot Orlando where it opened in 2013.

Well, since Herschend buys majors rides in pairs atgrom a single Manufacturer, what will Dollywood's Mack Be? The sole exception to this trend was that Dolly got two Gerstlauer coasters and that was mainly due to SDC's Mystery Mine type eurofighter got delayed due to the 08 meltdown and eventually changed to Firechaser Express

Let's look at the pattern

2 RMC'S(Outlaw and lighting)

2 B&Ms albeit some time apart.(Wildfire and Wild Egale)

2 Mack Splash Battles

2 S&S Giant Swings

2 Arrows(Tenn Tornado and Thunderation)

2 GCIs ( Thunderhead and OzCat)

OzCat was at Celebration City but it was the Branson GCI

There has been been some one offs BuzzSaw Falls and then it's conversion to Powder Keg. But history shows it comes in twos even the old rides like the river raft rides and FITH and Blazing Fury, The Waterboggan rides (SDC lost theirs)and even two Flooded Mines (Dolly lost theirs)

Dollywood's Mack (if they get one) should be a hyper model. It would be different from any other hyper in the U.S., and if the terrain is properly used (which it most certainly would be) could help to further more make Dollywood the destination park it wants to be. Having a hyper built by Mack keeps the height requirement at 48", which is something they obviously take into account. I mean, getting Wild Eagle a 50" height requirement isn't something you typically see from B&M. It makes me think they try to keep it as low as possible as their thing. So a Mack hyper would serve purpose more than a B&M, (and could be better) who knows?

During my visit I was thinking about how the only thing missing from their lineup is a 200 foot+ coaster.
Wild Eagle is 200+ ft tall but doesn't have a 200ft drop! But it looks massive standing there.. a 200ft drop coaster would be awesome though

We are here at Dollywood for the media event. Gates should be opening shortly. Stay tuned for updates.

The announcement by Dolly is suppose to be at 11am.

Fingers crossed for something exciting! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Why not show some love for the new kiddie coaster? Since I have a 7 and 8 year old I was happy to get them a ride on Whistle Punk Chaser. Quick photo report below:

Wow, they really did a nice job theming Whistle Punk Chaser. Nice pictures!

Yes Ernie these are great. Few things will endear me to a park faster than when they take what could easily just be an 'off the shelf' children's ride and instead put some thought and effort into it to make it special.

Got 3 rides on lightning rod already with the timesaver unlimited pass. 2 of the rides were in a little bit of rain, got to sit front/middle and back row. Just an awesome ride, it's down at this moment but I'm thrilled I was able to get a couple rides in already.

Also I saw people riding the ferris wheel from the lightning rod station.

Edited by Satans Hockey

As expected, no new rides announced...no removal of rides announced. Dolly mostly shared details of the new fall festival & her new children's album. Looks like I can still trust my sources...haha

Video of the presser at

There was no announcement about ride removals or ride additions. Dolly talked about her Christmas event as well as the Great Pumpkin Luminights. The very cool thing is they mentioned some sort of pumpkin maze with the new festival.

I will upload the video later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by pinslasher