TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I always hate to see these rides go, but Smoky Mountain River Rampage would be my guess. It's in a prime location, takes a lot of space, and is over 30 years old.
Yeah but I mentioned that and he said the rides on my list are safe.. idk, I'm thinking something in country fair to be honest

Plus rampage is one of their most popular attractions during the summer

When rumors like this happen at most parks they have something old, not super popular and it's easy to pick.. so I have no idea what it could be at Dollywood

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I always hate to see these rides go, but Smoky Mountain River Rampage would be my guess. It's in a prime location, takes a lot of space, and is over 30 years old.

Yea that's one of the rides to really cool down on a hot day easily that the whole family can ride, especially if you're still adrenaline filled and burning up after LR it's right there. Plus if they removed rampage talk about GP being pissed. I think that's the attraction they'd be most pissed about haha.

Actually looking back at my post, I didn't mention rampage.. I thought I did.. maybe that is it?

Edit: nevermind I did.. I said maybe larger rampage. Haha so I believe Rampage is safe

Good to hear. Rapids rides are really great and I hate for any of them to be removed. They're not tall or fast, and they have no big drops. They're a safe choice that even small kids can enjoy. My youngest won't go on log flumes but will ride every rapids we come across.

If there's any truth to this (and that's a big "if") I'd bet anything it's Slidewinder.

The ride opens 2 months later than anything else in the park and closes a month before River Battle and two months before Daredevil Falls and River Rampage. They have a water park now. It's a cool ride (or so I'm told) but it seems a little redundant and I could see them closing it. Silver Dollar City closed it's sister-ride (the Waterworks Waterboggan) about 10 years ago and never replaced it.

If there's any truth to this (and that's a big "if") I'd bet anything it's Slidewinder.

The ride opens 2 months later than anything else in the park and closes a month before the other water rides. They have a water park now. It's a cool ride (or so I'm told) but it seems a little redundant and I could see them closing it. Silver Dollar City closed it's sister-ride (the Waterworks Waterboggan) about 10 years ago and never replaced it.

I mentioned slidewinder as well and the OP said all the rides on my list are safe.. my issue with Slidewinder, is what else will fit in that area? I mean, it's a heck of a walk up that hill and now that Wild Eagle is there, Slidewinder is stuck between it, Daredevil Falls, barnstormer and things.. not really much of any direction to build.. Slindwinder is perfect there because it goes down hill and that's what there is room for.. I can see it closing in the near future yes, but like SDC, if it closes I doubt it can be replaced! Unless they use the unloading area and the lockers/photo booth for an area to build a large building for dark ride.. I can see something fitting in the unloading area. Or maybe another flat in the unloading area to go with barnstormer.

I hardly ever ride it anymore though but because I go when the park isn't crowded.. With only two of us ever there, sometimes we have to wait for someone to ride with.. a lot of folks come up in groups of 3 or 4 and get right on.. when the park is slow we might wait 10 or 15 mins for one person or a group of two small people to show up to ride with.. a group of 2 larger people usually throws us over the weight limit..

Ah, I missed that.

I can't think of what else it would be though. Unless it's River Battle or Barnstormer (which would be bullsh*t) it's pretty much guaranteed to be a flat ride that nobody cares about. Honestly what they should do is replace that POS Ferris wheel with a respectable one. This park is in a beautiful area. The view from Wild Eagle and Drop Line is breathtaking. They really need a ride that shows off those awesome views but appeals to families, older people and anyone who's afraid of thrill rides (which is a huge percentage of their base).

I was thinking about the Ferris Wheel being removed when I suggested they needed to put a big swing in like the skyscreamers.. That Ferris Wheel is an eyesore in the fair area!

So yeah if it's not Slidewinder, Blazing Fury, Rockin Roadway, or Rampage, it has to be a flat!

I can't imagine it being barnstormer, it's fairly new! But didn't one of the Cedar Fair parks have issues with one last year or a couple years ago? Maybe Dollywood wants to get rid of it bc of that but I doubt it?

River Battle is popular so I doubt it'll be it but it is in a prime area! But that area needs kids stuff anyways

lol, seriously? You guys are crapping on the county fair ferris wheel? That thing is a classic and is super iconic for the look of the whole area. I'd love another, giant, ferris wheel, but I'd never consider the current one to be an eye sore.

I'm not sure this rumor deserves much credence, but if we're taking bets on rides that could be removed, I would look at the rapids ride. While it is popular, it takes up a lot of room in prime real estate. I never actually got on it myself, but it isn't exactly one of the better rapids rides is it? There's been a lot of talk about park operators getting rid of these things lately due to the general expense and probably rising insurance rates due to some of the incidents that have occurred.

Sidewinder is unfortunately a good bet as well for similar reasons.

The only reason I even partly believe the rumor is that the OP did get several rumors correct this past winter/sprinf.. so he has someone on the inside or media contacts with the park.. if his sources are correct though, it's not Rampage (Raft Ride) Or Slidewinder.

That only leaves a coaster or flats asside from Rockin Roadway which he also said was safe.

Who knows, maybe Friday!

And the Ferris Wheel, while classic is rusted and hardly open on any of my visits.. it never has many riders anymore haha

I'd absolutely love to have them get a huge Ferris wheel. The little one just doesn't cut it and like Bill said, the view is incredible from WE and DL but if you're not into thrill rides you're SOL on really getting the full mountain experience. The Ferris wheel wasn't open once on our 3 days of visiting and the weather was beautiful so who knows. The wheel at The Island looked beautiful with a great lighting package - I'd love to see DW get something similar.

While I'm not a rapids person, I thought the location of it right along the main walking path was pretty cool and added to the ambiance of the place. Usually rapids are kind of hidden but not the way this was placed which was cool. Slidewinder was a hoot and very popular a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine what they could put in that land to replace it as the hike up to the station is steep and quite long. It just kept going and going and going and going!

I'd absolutely love to have them get a huge Ferris wheel. The little one just doesn't cut it and like Bill said, the view is incredible from WE and DL but if you're not into thrill rides you're SOL on really getting the full mountain experience. The Ferris wheel wasn't open once on our 3 days of visiting and the weather was beautiful so who knows. The wheel at The Island looked beautiful with a great lighting package - I'd love to see DW get something similar.

While I'm not a rapids person, I thought the location of it right along the main walking path was pretty cool and added to the ambiance of the place. Usually rapids are kind of hidden but not the way this was placed which was cool. Slidewinder was a hoot and very popular a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine what they could put in that land to replace it as the hike up to the station is steep and quite long. It just kept going and going and going and going!

Good to confirm it's not just me who notices that it's closed a lot.. so yeah, Ferris Wheel is a prime choice for being trashed..

While it might be classic, if it's not open, it doesn't do anyone any good and I see it closed a lot.. over 50% of my visits it's closed..

The ride opens 2 months later than anything else in the park and closes a month before River Battle and two months before Daredevil Falls and River Rampage. They have a water park now. It's a cool ride (or so I'm told) but it seems a little redundant and I could see them closing it. Silver Dollar City closed it's sister-ride (the Waterworks Waterboggan) about 10 years ago and never replaced it.

I hope it's not this ride! I thought it was going to be just a normal raft ride but I was shocked how crazy it was! I'd love to get back if this is the ride being taken out!

Considering Sky Rider and the Waltzing Swinger are both right next to the Wonder Wheel in the Country Fair area, I highly doubt it would get removed for a Sky Screamer (granted Kings Dominion has that, but with a Mondial Wind Seeker).
Yeah but neither of those are a 200 - 400 ft swing that allows great views of the mountains.

Mountain Slidewinder from what I understand is extremely popular with locals. It is an incredibly unique attraction, and I find it to be a blast so long as you don't mind getting wet. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

Personally I'm hoping the whole County Fair area gets an overhaul soon. There are way too many dead ends and it's easy to get lost down there.

Mountain Slidewinder from what I understand is extremely popular with locals. It is an incredibly unique attraction, and I find it to be a blast so long as you don't mind getting wet. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

Personally I'm hoping the whole County Fair area gets an overhaul soon. There are way too many dead ends and it's easy to get lost down there.

This..

Most locals don't want to see Slindwinder go and here's why.. Dollywood is HOT during the summer.. Rampage can easily get lines of 45+ mins.. that leaves only Slidewinder and DDF for adults to cool off on and get wet.. Dollywood even removed the large splash pad that was below Slidewinder and I loved cooling off there.. if Slidewinder goes that just leaves the long wait for Rampage and DDF..

So if Slidewinder goes, as a local, I think most would love it to be replaced only if it's replaced with a water ride..

Like I said, I don't ride it much due to me going on slow days and it being hard to be matched up but if I'm there on a busy hot summer day, I'm usually in line for it and the lines on it will be 30 - 45 mins usually

an aquatrax would be incredible though I doubt it. since sideshow spin is gone, it would make sense to close ride/rides in that area. but then again, 2019 I read someone post that there will be a brand new themed area? with nearly 5 years of this ten year expansion plan gone, it does make sense not too much happen for 2018 but they won't just put in nothing. surely we will see something going up and more going down apparently.

an aquatrax would be incredible though I doubt it. since sideshow spin is gone, it would make sense to close ride/rides in that area. but then again, 2019 I read someone post that there will be a brand new themed area? with nearly 5 years of this ten year expansion plan gone, it does make sense not too much happen for 2018 but they won't just put in nothing. surely we will see something going up and more going down apparently.
That was me that posted that.. no official date on a new themed area, it was just my guess.. When Dollywood announced their big expansion, they said it would include the beginning of a new themed area at some point during the 10 years. Last year, or early this season, they sent out a survey about a new themed area and had select folks vote on it and give them opinions. 2019 is probably too early for it as of now though

But like you said, almost 5 years of the expansion are gone.. that leaves 2019, 2020ish as a date for the new expansion and themed area. Lots of infrastructure would go into it they said.

With that being said, that's a good point.. with the themed area right around the corner, a flat replacing a flat is very probable while we wait for the new area to be announced

I feel the new big ticket ride won't be until the new themed area is announced.. it will anchor that area, whatever it is..