TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Mindbender - great pics! I know it's not really funny but the names Cinderella and KK crack me up. I rode on KK last week and she was great. What part of the ride did she strand you? Did everyone have to walk all the way back or did they have some sort of shuttle to help?

Dang that's quite the hike! I wonder if you guys got to unload into the park somewhere around Thunderhead? I know that the railroad is level with Thunderhead's back turnaround by the station, and I think there's an access gate right by the ride's entrance.

We walked down the tracks a bit for those that could... There were golf carts to take the those that couldn't. We emptied out onto a road off the preferred lot where you could walk back to the resort gate or take trams and trolleys they had for us.

All in all it was an experience, the park did great to handle so many upset and hot people. They handed out free bottles of water and "all hands were on deck" to help out. Any free staff they had was up there helping.

Glad to hear they handled it well! It's not their first rodeo with the trains going down.. out of all my visits the past few years, it's happened 4 times I can recall just on days I have been there..

Unfortunately, it seems to always happen when the train starts climbing the mountain after Thunderhead, when it's working the hardest.. at least it's a Downhill walk haha

I guess the worse part is that a lot of older folks ride the train so I can see it being slow getting everyone down the mountain

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

From my understanding, talking to an engineer two seasons ago, the park would rather use Cinderella because it has so much more power, but he said it hadn't been running well.. He said KK had to be at fulthrottle on both inclines or it would stall, especially if the train was loaded. Cinderella has no issues with the climb.. if it stalled, they could usually get it going again so I guess it more than "stalled" today.. either that or they don't want to back it down with passengers and take another shot at the hill haha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but cant seem to find anywhere. Will be heading to the Smokies Aug13 - Aug 19, wondering if there is anywhere to get discount coupons for DW. I saw the McDonalds promotion on the website, but that is ending the day we arrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

any ideas circling the park or internet for what's to come in 2018? i reckon we will get some information soon.

This is just a wild idea, but what if they got the old Roaring Falls chute the chute ride from Celebration City? I was driving into Branson the other day (my friend and I were parking hopping from SDC to White Water) and I noticed that it looked like Roaring Falls had been dismantled. Maybe it was just behind some trees or it was the angle I was looking at it from but you can usually always see it when you are driving in to Branson. Maybe Herschend finally decided to send it to another one of their parks. Wild Adventures already had something very similar, SDC is getting Time Traveler next year, maybe Dollywood could get Roaring Falls. They could slap a new coat of paint on it, put some nice rock work around it like at Celebration City, and call it new. It would be fairly cheap but still a new addition to the park.

They sold Roaring Falls apparently. I'd expect DW to get something bigger and better anyway.

Honestly I'd like them to get a dark ride in the vein of the flooded mine. DW had their own FM and they got rid of it because of a few snakes.

There's a lot of value in something unique, immersive, indoor with AC, and accessible to the whole family. I don't know why more parks don't have them, but I guess they are a maintenance hassle.

They sold Roaring Falls apparently. I'd expect DW to get something bigger and better anyway.

Honestly I'd like them to get a dark ride in the vein of the flooded mine. DW had their own FM and they got rid of it because of a few snakes.

There's a lot of value in something unique, immersive, indoor with AC, and accessible to the whole family. I don't know why more parks don't have them, but I guess they are a maintenance hassle.

Hmmm. I wonder who they sold it to. It was one of the only rides they didn't put up for sale online.

Dolly will be at Dollywood Friday, August 18 for a PR event:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/dolly-parton-to-visit-dollywood/463107578

That's the day I might be in the park lol I was going to buy a timesaver unlimited anyway but does anyone know if this makes it more crowded with her being there now?

I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do, I put together a last minute trip and was planning on going to dollywood the 17th/18th before finding out they aren't open on the 17th I have to be back on the 19th no matter what so I don't have much leeway schedule wise. Since I'm driving I may just skip it and go from kings island back home with a stop at Kennywood for the day instead.

If you buy a timesaver unlimited you will be golden no matter what crowds are there. On Lightning Rod with the timesaver the most you have to wait is three trains usually. They do a good job of not letting the station area get too crowded. The most possible wait with timesaver that I saw is on Wild Eagle due to where the lines divide but it's usually pretty fast ops and I didn't need to use my timesaver on it last time I was there. I would imagine as well that at that point in August the people there to see Dolly aren't really going to also be there to marathon on coasters.