TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Lightning Rod has one train on the track today. So it looks like it's not them trying to use the 2nd train. Maybe they kept it closed if the ride truly has issues in the heat since it's the hottest day of the year?

Then again they have everyone's favorite RMC sign out front again.

I'm pretty sure there's a picture out there with two trains from a few days ago? Maybe it's making progress back with one train?

I know TTD and Ka were nightmares when they first open but we're they ever this bad 2 years after they opened? At least with CP you could still go ride Millennium Force or at Gradv El Toro and Nitro. Here a lot of people are planning their trips around LR and are constantly being disappointed.

Lightning Rod has one train on the track today. So it looks like it's not them trying to use the 2nd train. Maybe they kept it closed if the ride truly has issues in the heat since it's the hottest day of the year? Then again they have everyone's favorite RMC sign out front again.

This is so depressing. Sorry bud. I'm trying to remain positive a la Boldikus but really am just bracing myself for the same experience (err, lack thereof) in 8 days.

Are the ride wait times really this low? App is saying Blazing Fury 5 mins, Daredevil Falls 10, FCS 25, Mystery Mine 20, River Rampage 35, Tornado 15 and WE 5 mins. Seems like minimal times to me for it being a Saturday in the summer! Perhaps the heat is keeping the GP away or maybe they're all sardine canning it up in the shows?

Mystery Mine and Firechaser were 40 min at one point. But the two longest waits were Daredevil Falls (45 min) and the rapids (70 min).

I know TTD and Ka were nightmares when they first open but we're they ever this bad 2 years after they opened? At least with CP you could still go ride Millennium Force or at Gradv El Toro and Nitro. Here a lot of people are planning their trips around LR and are constantly being disappointed.

Dollywood has a hell of a stellar lineup without LR. I mean TN Tornado, Firechaser, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead and Mystery Mine are all really good rides, plus you have a new Drop Tower, tons of shows and awesome food. I mean yea Lightning Rod is a can of kick ass and a great ride, and makes any day better, but it's not like if it's not opened people are being forced to ride a lineup of awful rides.

I agree the rest of the park is still awesome, but when this has happened three straight times, especially when the ride was down my last visit to get it operating consistently for the rest of the summer, it's frustrating to say the least.

Dollywood is indeed great without LR, but it's really sad that the park's spotlight, highly acclaimed coaster has such poor operational consistency. I understand occasional, even frequent downtime... but even operating only a few hours out of the day would be better than being closed for 20 days only to go back up for 10.

I mean yea Lightning Rod is a can of kick A$$ and a great ride, and makes any day better, but it's not like if it's not opened people are being forced to ride a lineup of awful rides.

Right. But... there are a lot of people, including ourselves who are making a special trip JUST for Lightning Rod. In the case of our visit next week, A SECOND TRIP. I'll be honest, we would not have made a stop at Dollywood this year had we missed out on Lightning Rod last year. And we would not have made the stop this year if we had thought they would have been having just as many problems in their 2nd season. If we miss out on it again this year, I'm not going to continue making excuses for the park.

It's a great park, sure... but sometimes you aren't there for the "great line-up of older rides."

Edited by robbalvey

I'm only about half an hour away from the park, and even I don't go nearly as often when LR isn't running consistently. I'm just not willing to wait in the humidity for anything less honestly... as much as I love the other coasters, I've ridden them all dozens and dozens of times more than LR (and I'm close to 30-40 rides on LR).

On another topic. Anyone have any 2018 ride predictions? My guess is the new ride will be a dark ride in the old mine and old fun house on the hill. Not sure if it will be a new version of the flooded mine or some new type dark ride. Anyone else have an idea on what may be up Dolly's sleeve for 2018?