TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

And let's not forget the park actually shut down TTD in July for the rest of the season the year it opened. So the first year of TTD, you literally had zero chance of riding it 2/3 of the season.

I'm sorta, kinda wishing Dollywood would simply do the same to Lightning Rod (with an announcement, of course). Still unfortunate for people to keep going to the park and then complain about it not being open.

And let's not forget the park actually shut down TTD in July for the rest of the season the year it opened. So the first year of TTD, you literally had zero chance of riding it 2/3 of the season.

I remember riding TTD in August of its first season (less than a week after the big power outage), so maybe it didn't close for the season until late August or around Labor Day (then again, CP's season ends two months earlier than Dollywood's)

I'm sorta, kinda wishing Dollywood would simply do the same to Lightning Rod (with an announcement, of course). Still unfortunate for people to keep going to the park and then complain about it not being open.

Then Goliath (SFGAm) would have its record for fastest wooden coaster back for now! (SFGAm's website still says it's the fastest wooden coaster in the world [is Six Flags throwing shade at Dollywood?])

I remember riding TTD in August of its first season (less than a week after the big power outage), so maybe it didn't close for the season until late August or around Labor Day (then again, CP's season ends two months earlier than Dollywood's)

You're right, it was 2004. It closed I believe the second-ish week of July.

Vertigo is really starting to be a closer comparison.

You're comparing a ride that has been open for 13+ seasons to a ride that has been open 1.5. That's a pretty uneven comparison.

The Vertigo they are talking about this: Vertigo @ Walabi Belgium

Not the Vekoma inverted boomerang

Walibi_Belgium_-_Vertigo_1.JPG

Pretty sure they are referring to TTD.

That ride was a monstrosity. Really.

Are you sure? I don't ever remember the Park throwing in the towel on Dragster and closing it early for the season. It did close The second week of July for a cable fray but it reopened a few days later. I'm honestly about 99% sure we rode it in August of 2004. You might be right but I don't see anything backing that up and going from memory (which is admittedly not the most reliable of sources... lol) I don't remember this at all.

PS: This isn't directed at all but it's hilarious reading the comments from 2004 about how the park should close the ride for the season and hire Premier to redo the launch system. Basically switch out "Lightning Rod" for "Top Thrill Dragster" and the armchair engineer enthusiast comments are exactly the same

Vertigo is really starting to be a closer comparison.

You're comparing a ride that has been open for 13+ seasons to a ride that has been open 1.5. That's a pretty uneven comparison.

The Vertigo they are talking about this: Vertigo @ Walabi Belgium

Not the Vekoma inverted boomerang

Walibi_Belgium_-_Vertigo_1.JPG

Pretty sure they are referring to TTD.

That ride was a monstrosity. Really.

I was lucky enough to ride it in 2007. I remember that it was very impressive to see this coaster high up in the air, dominating the park's skyline. It was kind of scary how the track rocked from side to side, though. But it was fun, and really felt like flying. While the coaster itself was nothing too spectacular and it was not the prettiest ride out there, at least is was unique.

Tennessee Tornado is awesome. And Thunderhead is not rough at all. Daredevil Falls is one of the best log flumes I've been on, and we went on it 3 times. Overall we really enjoyed our time at Dollywood. It's a great park and the cinnamon bread lives up to all the hype.

^ I rode it all over the train (10 times in all) and not once did I find myself thinking it was rough by the end. It pulls you through the turns quickly but I didn't find it rough or bumpy, but it was a lot of fun. I did hear people in rows around me sometimes saying it's rough and pointing to how much smoother Wild Eagle is. I'm not sure if I ended up preferring the front or back, it was great in both places. I also loved the misters on top of the lift hill!

It was disappointing to not have Lightning Rod open while we were there for a few days. In fact, today when it was listed as closed for the day, I was really bummed for a little bit that I for sure wouldn't get to ride it this year. But after heading up the hill and riding Tennessee Tornado a couple times I was mostly over it and ended up having a fun day before I fly home tonight.

For those of you who haven't ridden LR before, when it does open which will hopefully be soon because I'm going in July sometime, if you hit up Lightning Rod first just a heads up. If you go straight to TT after it's going to feel like something on the WE level. Because I done just that back in November and I always thought TT was the most wild ride in the park, no I was wrong. Lightning Rod is the most definite IMO.

^ And that description of Lightning Rod's intensity is exactly why I'll make a return trip when it runs more consistently. All of Arrow's loops tend to pack a punch. The difference with Tornado, is Tornado's are smooth.

Thunderhead in the back is still pretty good. But I'll take a smoother and equally as wild ride over a rougher one.

Are you sure? I don't ever remember the Park throwing in the towel on Dragster and closing it early for the season. It did close The second week of July for a cable fray but it reopened a few days later. I'm honestly about 99% sure we rode it in August of 2004. You might be right but I don't see anything backing that up and going from memory (which is admittedly not the most reliable of sources... lol) I don't remember this at all.

PS: This isn't directed at all but it's hilarious reading the comments from 2004 about how the park should close the ride for the season and hire Premier to redo the launch system. Basically switch out "Lightning Rod" for "Top Thrill Dragster" and the armchair engineer enthusiast comments are exactly the same

You are correct CoasterBill. The only time I've ever been to CP was Labor Day Weekend of 2004, and TTD was operating.

Tennessee Tornado is easily one of my favorite coasters period, LR tops it when it's open.. but just barely.

It's got a very slight rattle if you staple yourself in the back, but it's not noticeable anywhere else for me. Even so, the rattle is very very slight, it's most noticeable in train #2 for me. Again, it doesn't stop me from riding it at least 10 times a visit. This thing has no traits of other Arrow loopers.

Tennessee Tornado is awesome. And Thunderhead is not rough at all. Daredevil Falls is one of the best log flumes I've been on, and we went on it 3 times. Overall we really enjoyed our time at Dollywood. It's a great park and the cinnamon bread lives up to all the hype.

How wet do you get on Daredevil Falls? I like a little sprinkle/mild amount of wetness. Shoes get sopping wet and it becomes a bad day. (Bert if you thought I got upset about my missing water bottle, wait till you see what happens when I get unexpectedly soaked!!) They did something to Great Adventure's log flume last year and it was absolutely drenching people no matter if you were 2 to a boat or packed in like sardines. Not fun. Hoping DW's flume is a nice way to cool off without needing a change of clothes!

I never rode in the front and it looked like everyone who did got their legs soaked. Sit in a different row and put your feet up under the seat in front of you because sometimes water splashes over the side and can soak your feet a little. Other than that, it was perfect for me. Every time it got my face and upper body wet but not drenched at all. It was enough to cool me off but I dried pretty quickly. Plus it's a cool flume.

Huh I actually see someone walking on the last part of the quad down. I see a couple different maintenance workers at the station as well. If you mean the doors where the train leaves and enters the station the one leaving the station is open.