TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The park is beautiful though, same with the Smoky Mountains. It was pretty empty, we made one lap around the park riding all the coasters plus Daredevil Falls and Drop Line before leaving because we're going to Carowinds tomorrow.

Have a blast at Carowinds! Don't forget to ride the flyers there. Can you let me know what route(s) you end up taking there and back, how long they took you and if it was super mountain-y? We'll be making the trip from DC to Dollywood to Carowinds this summer for the first time. I'm not a good car rider (and neither is my dog who travels with us) so I like to learn about the various routes and what to expect ahead of time before he or I suddenly turn green LOL

Have a blast at Carowinds! Don't forget to ride the flyers there. Can you let me know what route(s) you end up taking there and back, how long they took you and if it was super mountain-y? We'll be making the trip from DC to Dollywood to Carowinds this summer for the first time. I'm not a good car rider (and neither is my dog who travels with us) so I like to learn about the various routes and what to expect ahead of time before he or I suddenly turn green LOL

I know you asked the other person, but this is the quickest and least nauseating way to get to Carowinds from Dollywood (and actually the route they suggested as well). The link has the full directions:

https://goo.gl/maps/CGeaXxGrmgH2

dw2cw.JPG.c61a9d222cbeaf5e725f920511bc42b3.JPG

While the directions above will take you through elevation changes and have some ups and downs through the mountains, it will be more gradual than any other way and is mostly interstate.

The other main way is taking US 441 (Newfound Gap Road) through the Smokys to Cherokee. That road, while scenic, isn't for those who get queasy. It's very curvy and the elevation rises from about 1,289 feet in Gatlinburg, up to 5,049 feet at Newfound Gap....and then back down on the way to Cherokee. Personally I have no issues going that way, but could be intimidating for those with weak stomachs.

Can you let me know what route(s) you end up taking there and back, how long they took you and if it was super mountain-y? We'll be making the trip from DC to Dollywood to Carowinds this summer for the first time. I'm not a good car rider (and neither is my dog who travels with us) so I like to learn about the various routes and what to expect ahead of time before he or I suddenly turn green LOL

Honestly, I really couldn't tell you. I'm not the driver on this trip and haven't really been paying attention to what roads we've been taking, other than I know we have been on I-40 a bit. We're staying in Black Mountain last night and tonight as a midway point between the two parks so however google maps tells us to get there is how we're going. Sorry!

We have been on some windy roads but being from Utah I'm no stranger to winding mountain roads with steep grades so I haven't really noticed much on this drive. I was too busy looking at the amazing surroundings as we drive through the Smoky Mountains. I had no idea how beautiful it is here.

Black Mountain will probably bring you down I-40 a lot of the way. That's the mountain between Johnson City and Asheville.. but I'm just guessing haha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Well in less than two weeks they extended hours until 10 everyday.. I guess they just wanted to start fireworks early this year before the summer hours lol

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

While the directions above will take you through elevation changes and have some ups and downs through the mountains, it will be more gradual than any other way and is mostly interstate. The other main way is taking US 441 (Newfound Gap Road) through the Smokys to Cherokee. That road, while scenic, isn't for those who get queasy. It's very curvy and the elevation rises from about 1,289 feet in Gatlinburg, up to 5,049 feet at Newfound Gap....and then back down on the way to Cherokee. Personally I have no issues going that way, but could be intimidating for those with weak stomachs.

Many thanks, your post is exactly what I was looking for and I really appreciate it! When we travel to go skiing we have to drive with the window half way down for my dog in the back seat. The worst was when it was 3 deg. F outside and we were freezing our asses off but it's the only thing that keeps him from hurling all over the place. What's so funny is he's a black sable German shepherd but I swear to you his face turns an actual shade of green once we hit mountain parts which is when the window gets opened and he's then totally fine. Absolutely loves car rides and can't wait to be seat belted in. I can usually stay ok if I take some dramamine and do the driving, but as a passenger... forget it! My window's open too in that case LOL.

A lot of people around LR the other day kept wondering why they were testing constantly yet not letting people on. Prior to it going down for this long stretch, it had been suffering from really long delays and frequent breakdowns. It was rare for them to run it more than 45 mins at a time, after that it would often go down for 2+ hours. They're probably testing it so much right now with dummies simply because people are probably going to be LESS frustrated not getting the chance to ride at ALL versus waiting an hour or two in the queue only for it to shut down when they are two trains away. Lightning Rod being closed doesn't bother me much, but it is downright annoying to be denied a ride when you're minutes away from stepping into the train.

From what it appears.. they're testing for a few days, taking a day break, then testing again... if the last few days are anything to go by anyways.

The only somewhat recent coaster less reliable than Lightning Rod all time: https://rcdb.com/3457.htm

Bold prediction: By the end of 2017, Mystic Timbers will have more riders in one year than Lightning Rod will have in two years. Seems like a lot of people compare LR to TTD in regards to downtime. The difference is that TTD seems to operate at least part of every day. I can't remember the last time TTD was down all day multiple days in a row.

Probably the last time a cable snapped?

It's really hard seeing how awesome Lightning Rod is and knowing I likely won't be riding it this trip, but I think the park's decision to close it to get it running more reliably is the right one in the long run.

Seems like a lot of people compare LR to TTD in regards to downtime. The difference is that TTD seems to operate at least part of every day. I can't remember the last time TTD was down all day multiple days in a row.

To be clear, it is referenced to TTD in terms of the first couple years of operations. There were some major hiccups with TTD, but honestly at this point I think TTD was operating a lot more, and it was never down this much. You still had a chance of riding it on most days, whereas the only chance of riding LR was late last year.

Vertigo is really starting to be a closer comparison.

It's definitely annoying but it's a very good incentive to return once they actually get it running reliably. After how well it ran the first month this year, I figured I'd be safe to book my flight after failing to get on it last year. Guess Lightning Rod tricked me into a trip this year.

I am thankfully the park has listed it as CD instead of the dog and pony show they did last year with rehearsals since this has allowed me to ignore the giant lawn ornament overlooking the fried chicken cart and focus on other rides. Though seeing it test all day Thursday was a real sausage-tease.

Also as an aside Dolly's Splash Country is a really nice water park. RiverRush may not be as long as Holiday World's water coasters, but I think it's better. 3 drops give air crazier than the shed drop on Wildebeast.

Seems like a lot of people compare LR to TTD in regards to downtime. The difference is that TTD seems to operate at least part of every day. I can't remember the last time TTD was down all day multiple days in a row.

To be clear, it is referenced to TTD in terms of the first couple years of operations. There were some major hiccups with TTD, but honestly at this point I think TTD was operating a lot more, and it was never down this much. You still had a chance of riding it on most days, whereas the only chance of riding LR was late last year.

Vertigo only operated maybe a month total in the three years it was at Walibi Belgium. If LR doesn't become more reliable soon, I see major changes coming either this offseason or the next offseason.

Side note: I feel that Lightning Rod should have been ineligible for Best New Ride for 2016. I thought Valravn or Storm Chaser was going to win that award.

Lesson for all theme parks: Don't name your new ride Vertigo or anything with the word "Rod" or "Rods" in it as it will be cursed mechanically. Signed, Cedar Point, Walibi Belgium, Dollywood, and Disneyland

You're comparing a ride that has been open for 13+ seasons to a ride that has been open 1.5. That's a pretty uneven comparison.

And let's not forget the park actually shut down TTD in July for the rest of the season the year it opened. So the first year of TTD, you literally had zero chance of riding it 2/3 of the season.