TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

About time they post an official statement though, sad thing is, I feel Dollywood should of posted this statement weeks ago..

It's a shame Dollywood is still hiding this on their site though.. it should be on the home page.. I know people should "research" things on their own but not everyone will.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Lightning Rod has been removed from the wait times page on the app entirely.

On the park's website, a statement has been posted:

MPORTANT NOTE: As Lightning Rod’s manufacturer, Rocky Mountain Construction, is working to improve the operational consistency of the ride and elevate its performance to Dollywood’s high standards, Lightning Rod’s running schedule will be irregular and subject to periodic closures. We apologize for any disappointment and inconvenience. Please enjoy Dollywood’s newest thrill, Drop Line or one of our other family attractions.

Link

Well it's about time. This should've been done way before now. Oh well, there goes my chance for LRod this year.

About time they post an official statement though, sad thing is, I feel Dollywood should of posted this statement weeks ago..

It's easy to say that from the outside looking in but we don't really know the details of what the actual problem is. The ride is undoubtedly a clusterf*ck but maybe they didn't realize how long of a process this would be (meaning this particular period of downtime), maybe they keep finding new problems... who knows?

It's hard to keep giving them a pass on this ride, so I won't. I do stand by my statement that it's still a spectacular park without Lightning Rod but I wouldn't suggest anyone travel a significant distance to go there unless they're okay with missing out on it or they can easily get back there some other time. I won't make a big deal out of how long it took them to post this message though simply because I don't know what's actually wrong. Maybe they were optimistic that they could have it fixed by now. Things did seem promising the first couple months of the season.

Edited by coasterbill

Lightning Rod is testing today, Friday 6/2/17

Maybe there is hope for our visit next month after all!!

But to be honest, I was just talking to my partner about this last night. We are both going to the park will full expectations of NOT getting to ride LR, and we know we are still going to have an amazing time!! If LR does happen to open we will be on the first train out, and that will make our trip that much better!! But right now we are preparing for no LR, and we are NOT letting not getting to ride the coaster ruin our trip!

The concierge at DreamMore said this morning the park is waiting for a part that will arrive next week. Take that as you will.

How's the trip going so far?

Right now I am super exhausted, but I have had an awesome time. Will have a full trip report starting when I get back, but I'll spoil one thing: Mystery Mine is a new top 5 coaster for me.

Mystery Mine for sure is quite unique. It was my first "straight up" lift hill, my first "greater than 90 degrees" drop and that ever you want to call that hanging upside down finish. It was awesome. I got in 3 rides last Sunday but I have to say, 2 of the 3 were rather rough.

The concierge at DreamMore said this morning the park is waiting for a part that will arrive next week. Take that as you will.

How's the trip going so far?

Right now I am super exhausted, but I have had an awesome time. Will have a full trip report starting when I get back, but I'll spoil one thing: Mystery Mine is a new top 5 coaster for me.

Mystery Mine for sure is quite unique. It was my first "straight up" lift hill, my first "greater than 90 degrees" drop and that ever you want to call that hanging upside down finish. It was awesome. I got in 3 rides last Sunday but I have to say, 2 of the 3 were rather rough.

All of my rides were rather rough. That ride is actively trying to kill everyone dumb enough to step into the queue. I have rarely ridden a ride where I feel like I need to hang on for dear life. Maverick is the only one that even comes close to Mystery Mine's masochism. For any enthusiast who feels you're an old pro and can handle anything, Mystery Mine is prepared to make you its bitch. This is Gerstlauer's tour de force.

I honestly find this ride completely free of roughness / headbanging in every single seat. It's forceful and some transitions are abrupt, but in a good way. The drop off of the trestle is amazing.

Yes, in the sense of typical enthusiast whining, e.g. "This B&M rattles," then Mystery Mine is not rough in any way. It is rough in the same sense that a rodeo bullride is rough. It's performing exactly as designed, and it's designed brilliantly.

Well today is the day I'm headed to the park and looks like Rod is already listed CD. This is my 6th different trip this year with still no luck. I'm sure I'll have a great day regardless but can't help but feel already disappointed. I'm officially giving up hope for this ride. Sure it was a great idea etc. but a definite failed project. So frustrating to see it just sitting there every time I go with no one on it or working on it. I know people are still trying to give the park a pass over this but I'm just over it. If it stays it stays if it goes it goes. It was fun the first and only time I rode it but it's definitely not my favorite ride at the park like many people. Oh well, just a let down. Better luck next year I suppose ✌️

It's not "rough but tolerable" for me, it's perfectly comfortable and I could ride it all day. I would almost venture to call it smooth. I'd put it on the same level as a ride like Raptor at Cedar Point. It's mostly smooth and MAYBE once or twice you get thrown into the restraint one time but it's not uncomfortable and it only happens once or twice on the whole ride so I really don't care.