TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

In case anybody else is interested, I was curious about Lightning Rod's status over time and the wait times for other rides leading up to my trip in a couple weeks so I wrote a quick little app that pulls the wait times every 15 minutes and stores them. Pretty simple but thought maybe a couple of you would be interested in this - http://dw.jonstoddart.com/

In case anybody else is interested, I was curious about Lightning Rod's status over time and the wait times for other rides leading up to my trip in a couple weeks so I wrote a quick little app that pulls the wait times every 15 minutes and stores them. Pretty simple but thought maybe a couple of you would be interested in this - http://dw.jonstoddart.com/

Looks like you found that little JSON API they use for that! I've been wanting to write an app for the Apple Watch but never got around to it.

Nice work!

Nice app.. my last trip, the 18th shows LR as opening with the park (if it actually opened with successful rides lol) and closing shortly after opening and shows it open for two short periods of under 45 mins each around lunch.. I never saw it open that day but one of the regulars here got lucky and got a ride.. it's nice seeing the timrs it was actually open.. the longest period (a 45 min period) was when I was at Aunt Grannies eating which is why I never saw it! All you can eat buffet with desert takes about 45 mins lol

Nice app!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Guess what's closed? You guessed it, Lightning Rod! I don't see this thing opening for at least a month at this point, good luck to all traveling from abroad...

Honestly, Lightning Rod is a failed concept, its downtime levels are poor. I honestly don't see it being long before it gets torn down.

I think being torn down is overkill haha, I'm sure eventually they will have it running.. it might require extensive work though with a new lift concept or something but being torn down I don't think will happen.. unless they go into a lawsuit similar to timber tower

Come on! It's not going to get torn down! However, I wouldn't be surprised, if it receives some sort of modification, perhaps to the launched concept, in order to boost its reliability. I'm not sure if a transfer to a high speed cable lift system is at all plausible, but if I were Dollywood, that would be the first thing I'd be looking at at this point...

I can definitely see the launch being torn out and replaced with another LSM setup from a more tried-and-true company. I don't see them using a hydraulic/weight/cable launch... that would require a lot of re-engineering. Clearly it's possible to have an up-hill LSM launch that's not down everyday.. just look at Maverick.

It's not going to get torn down, Dollywood's not done pouring money into it yet. Timber Tower was a fun, but insignificant flat ride. Lightning Rod is the world's fastest wood coaster, and a 20 million dollar investment. I'm sure a law suit is stirring, probably between the company who built the launch and Dollywood. I really don't think most of this is RMC's fault.. Velocity did the braking and launching.. which are TWO things this thing seems to always have problems with.

Well timber tower was torn down due to the lawsuit I'd assume.. it was actually running fine later in it's life but stopped running due to a contract dispute and was then torn down

Guess what's closed? You guessed it, Lightning Rod! I don't see this thing opening for at least a month at this point, good luck to all traveling from abroad...

Honestly, Lightning Rod is a failed concept, its downtime levels are poor. I honestly don't see it being long before it gets torn down.

I'll agree that the concept has failed lol but I don't see it being torn down anytime soon. Maybe some MAJOR tweaks and what not. Anyone going in the foreseeable future should just go with the mindset of not riding :/

^ But Timber Tower was a much smaller investment and was far from being known as a marquee attraction.

Again, we don't know with 100% certainty that the launch is to blame. It's totally plausible, but the issue could also be related to the train or another component that we're unaware of.

I'll admit that I've had a fear in the back of my mind of the ride going the Son of Beast route, but I have to believe that Dollywood and RMC are better than that.

^ But Timber Tower was a much smaller investment and was far from being known as a marquee attraction.

Again, we don't know with 100% certainty that the launch is to blame. It's totally plausible, but the issue could also be related to the train or another component that we're unaware of.

I'll admit that I've had a fear in the back of my mind of the ride going the Son of Beast route, but I have to believe that Dollywood and RMC are better than that.

I also thought that once I saw all the problems. Riding this thing is literally insane, though. I do not agree with the others who say "once you ride it, all the headaches and downtime are worth it". Bottom line, $20+ million investment gone very south....nothing makes that "ok".

Do you guys remember TTD's constant downtime for its first two seasons? That coasters reliability was disastrous, not unlike Lightning Rod. But over time the park figured out how to get it working most of the time. That's what will happen with Lightning Rod. I highly doubt they're getting a new launch system, and I KNOW they're not getting a chain lift...

Do you guys remember TTD's constant downtime for its first two seasons? That coasters reliability was disastrous, not unlike Lightning Rod. But over time the park figured out how to get it working most of the time. That's what will happen with Lightning Rod. I highly doubt they're getting a new launch system, and I KNOW they're not getting a chain lift...

+1, even though my previous posts slightly object.

I can definitely see the launch being torn out and replaced with another LSM setup from a more tried-and-true company. I don't see them using a hydraulic/weight/cable launch... that would require a lot of re-engineering. Clearly it's possible to have an up-hill LSM launch that's not down everyday.. just look at Maverick.

It's not going to get torn down, Dollywood's not done pouring money into it yet. Timber Tower was a fun, but insignificant flat ride. Lightning Rod is the world's fastest wood coaster, and a 20 million dollar investment. I'm sure a law suit is stirring, probably between the company who built the launch and Dollywood. I really don't think most of this is RMC's fault.. Velocity did the braking and launching.. which are TWO things this thing seems to always have problems with.

Velocity did the brakes but not the brake fins which have been the issue. As for the launch, it has been operating at 99% since opening day this year. RMC is at fault here for the brake fins and sensing as well as issues with the trains.

Guess its a no go for this weekend....... still going though.

people already calling for the SOB treatment

Wow, very interesting thing you pulled together! It's shocking to see how much the ride's been down compared to being open, and when it was open on the 17th it's an immediate 45 minute wait before dropping off the charts again! Other than that, out of its recorded 8 days the park's been open, it's been pretty much completely closed for 7 of them (they tried on the 22nd).

Shouldn't they just announce it closed online just to cement it in and not get people's hopes up too much?

All LR injuries are due to folks being stupid and not securing their phones.. so yeah I agree let's burn it like SOB because people keep getting hurt.. lol JK

LR and SOB are two different issues.. SOB had some serious injuries that started it's downfall.. LR just does that work