TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I stopped by the park today briefly on the way to Coasterstock at Kings Island. Got my first ride on Drop Line e... The drop isn't very intense but the views are spectacular.

As far as Lightning Rod - I got two rides on it today. It was down when I arrived and went down while I was in line. I believe Dollywood is really trying hard to keep this ride operational, and it seems to be struggling big time right now with it's reliability. They are putting so much time and labor into it. I noticed on the app around 6 LRod was listed as "CD." It was 1 train ops today. I also noticed the water dummies we're out too.

It actually changed to CD much earlier than 6. I made a post about it here around 3:30 or 4ish I believe, maybe earlier

Like you, it was closed when I got there but must of opened up sometime when I was at Aunt Grannies eating.. When I left the park around 1:30 it was still listed as TC on the app but someone had posted here they saw it at a 45 mins wait shortly before.. that might of been the only time it was opened all day.

What time were you able to ride it? Just curious haha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I rode it around 115, and again around 230. Left the park around 245 today.

My opinion on LRod.. the whole project was rushed. I'm sure the park pressured RMC to have things done for opening day which didn't happen. RMC had too many irons in the fire last year. We are now seeing the results.

If they rushed RMC, they probably rushed Velocity as well, who had never taken on such a project... but 'Rod was planned years in advanced so this is nothing more than speculation. The ride itself is extremely cutting edge, they should have used a more tried-and-true company to supply the launch in the first place... but who even knows what the problem is to be honest. We could all be extremely off the mark as to what is actually causing the problems. The park has chosen not to be forth coming with the reasons why... who knows if any sort of law suits could be going on behind closed doors.

If the launch created by Velocity was the issue delaying projected opening, why did RMC remove the trains from the track last March? If the launch was the issue delaying opening, then why were the air gates not even installed when ACEers toured the ride in early May last year. We will never know the reason. I guess it's none of our business anyway. I hate it for the park. This has been a huge headache for them! The ride was supposed to be the crown jewel of the park, and it's limped along. We don't even get music in the que, or the peeling out sound effects that was intended to theme the ride.

I'm surprised that what ever the problem is that the vender isn't doing more. The Dollywood maintenance team seems to be doing all of the work. If they keep having to fix something over and over at some point you gotta think you might have to change something. It's very frustrating for everyone involved and I know folks in Dollywood maintenance are doing all they can. I'm sure they would tell us if they could, but contacts probably forbid it.

According to the app, LR is already closed for the day...

I hate this for the park. I'm not sure what the answer is (and maybe they don't either). But if they weren't able to find a solution during the 2+ months of offseason, I question what could be done in a few weeks. But I'm going to try and remain optimistic.

According to the app, LR is already closed for the day...

I hate this for the park. I'm not sure what the answer is (and maybe they don't either). But if they weren't able to find a solution during the 2+ months of offseason, I question what could be done in a few weeks. But I'm going to try and remain optimistic.

Little off topic, but in actually glad to see Thunderhead with the longest posted wait, it's criminally underrated within the park, it hardly seems to gather a line even on super busy days. I'm sure the new drop tower in the vicinity could have something to do with it, but either way I'm glad to see it getting some love from visitors.

IMG_2929.thumb.PNG.a177853e0ce75bbe4ddb874dee0410a8.PNG

Maybe if it continues to get some love, we may see some track work done soon. I haven't ridden in the past couple years but I hear it could use it. I love that ride, but it'd be great to see it running like new again!

I first visited in 2014, so I never got to ride Thunderhead when it was new, but it's never been rough at all to me, the front has always been the smoothest ride imo, but the middle and back aren't anywhere near what I would consider rough, then again roughness is a subjective matter.

I'm one of many who also don't think it was all that rough. Sure, there was a jolt here and there that comes with age, but I found it much more re-rideable with those few jolts than Prowler is with its vibration of death. What got me the most with that ride is how violent the ending half of the ride is especially in the back few rows. I was getting thrown all over the place and hit the brakes completely dazed.

I'm one of many who also don't think it was all that rough. Sure, there was a jolt here and there that comes with age, but I found it much more re-rideable with those few jolts than Prowler is with its vibration of death. What got me the most with that ride is how violent the ending half of the ride is especially in the back few rows. I was getting thrown all over the place and hit the brakes completely dazed.

Same here. And it's amazing that the GP talk about it. During visits to Dollywood and Holiday World I over heard conversations about how Thunderhead/Raven are "so rough" and they just don't know how good they have it, haha.

Yeah, when I rode it last it wasn't bad, but it was noticeably rougher than in the past. I have also heard similar things about Prowler, Apocalypse and some others. A rougher ride doesn't bother me, but it can bother my wife who will develop headaches pretty easily on rough rides. The past year we have ridden Phoenix, Lightning Racer, Wooden Warrior and Mystic Timbers. She was kinda baffled by how smooth some wooden coasters can be and wished more were like that.

I don't mind being thrown around by a woodie, but I do sympathize with those that don't want to get beat to death. It takes quite a bit for me to say something is too rough, but I know that I am likely in the minority. We got off Grizzly a couple weeks ago. I absolutely love Grizzly and she said there was nothing fun about it whatsoever and it had zero redeeming qualities other than seeing RMC Iron Horse track in the woods.

Thunderhead is the only (big) wooden coaster I've ever been on and said....oh sh&t I have to ride it again...right now....and then again. Mind you that was 3 years ago. I know from personal experience that rides can be great one season, then be completely horrid the next. I even know how great a ride I got on Gwazi right after they first put the MF trains on...then a couple months later it was just as bad, if not worse, as before.

Hopefully they will get to some refurb on Thunderhead before it gets any worse from what I've been reading on here. Perhaps with Lightning Rod's issues, they've put off such a project while it's gets sorted out.

Didn't they do a lot of track work on it this past offseason?

I mean, personally I don't care since the ride is running amazing this season (just like it was last season) and it's perfectly smooth, but I was under the impression that they were already doing a lot of work on it.

Didn't they do a lot of track work on it this past offseason?

I mean, personally I don't care since the ride is running amazing this season (just like it was last season) and it's perfectly smooth, but I was under the impression that they were already doing a lot of work on it.

I know they replaced some wood on the structure, and revamped the station a bit.. but I don't think much if any track work was done.

LR is closed again today.

I'm about to just give up hope on LR. Have been 4 different times this year and have yet to ride once. 2 times I've been in line and the ride has gone down and the other two times it's just been closed all day for "maintenance". Sorry but this getting ridiculous at this point. Next time I go I'm just going in with the thought of not getting to ride. The fact that it's already been closed 3 days in a row is not a good sign. Oh well, hate it for the park though.

Sigh... flying in from the UK to hit up dollywood this friday, saturday and sunday coming, just gonna go into it knowing I won't get a ride, but I can dream.. and I guess I've got the other parks I'm doing to look forward to aswell!

I'm currently at the park, and crowds are very heavy today. Obviously LRod is closed, but it hasn't stopped me from having a good day.

As mentioned earlier, Thunderhead had a long wait this morning. They were cycling both trains but only filling one up with riders. We were told that they just finished rebuilding one of the trains and that sometime soon they would be allowing riders on that certain one. They had to run it empty for numerous cycles before allowing guests on. I believe now they are loading both.

I rode Drop Line for the first time and really enjoyed it! The views were spectacular. However, I do feel like Acrophobia at Six Flags over Georgia is more intense. At least the seats were more comfortable on Drop Line! It really seems like a great addition to the park!

Other news, Whistle Punk Chaser has soft opened! Not sure when they've started it, but noticed a lot of people riding earlier and had a decent line!

I did happen to walk by LR and saw one of the trains sitting on the transfer track. It does appear that some work is being done on the coaster today. A ride op was standing outside the station and was rudely yelling at guests that "the ride is closed all day". Even folks who walked by trying to ask a question were cut off with that statement before they had time to finish. I'm sure that the ops are frustrated as much as we are about the coaster being closed. Hopefully they can figure out what the issues are and get the coaster up and running by at least this upcoming week.