TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Giving it a try once more tomorrow.

Do they do breakfast there?....aside from cinnamon bread lol....like a real breakfast? Pregnant wife needs some real breakfast food

Not really. Some good pastries in the bakery but not a real breakfast. They don't open early enough for that.

Maybe you could hit the resort restaurant?

Pretty sure they do breakfast.

On days when they open early doesn't Grannies serve breakfast? I know they did years ago but it has been a very long time for me to be there when the park opens.. i haven't been to the park in years on a day that they open early, say 9:00 lol

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Not sure. Even 9 is late for breakfast. They'd serve for 2hrs or less to be ready for lunch at 11.

If I'm there at 8 or 9 it's for rides not food. At most grab a cinnamon roll or other pastry from the bakery to eat in line.

I never get there on early mornings anymore.. looking online all I see is that the past few years breakfast was included in the wild eagle back stage tour. So they at least made breakfast last year on early days but not sure if it was open to the public or not..

LOL - 13 mins into the day: broken.

Not listed as down yet.

Then they're not updating. I'm in the station. It's down.

Or not considering it down yet. What have they said/announced? Have they cleared the queue?

Last time I was there it went down for ~15-30 minutes. They emptied the train that left the station and the one that was loading, but didn't clear the queue. Ran a dozen empty trains before an op did a check ride.

We were 2 trains away and waited it out. It ran fine after and I never saw it listed as closed the rest of the day.

Wow. Just road back left. Unreal coaster. Definitely in my top couple. Shame it's such horrid reliability. 10 mins into park opening and down 45+ mins. Great ride! Just needs to,you know, WORK.

Not listed as down yet.

Then they're not updating. I'm in the station. It's down.

Then you might as well just get out of line, pack up and head home!!

No but seriously - its not uncommon for L-rod to go down after the first full train goes out for the morning. It's like the ride works great with empty trains, but once there is weight in the train, it slides through the ending brakes without the system resetting (see my post a couple pages back).

Glad you got to ride it though. It really is an amazing coaster. I have no doubt that Dollywood will one day get this thing near 100%. Remember technically its only been open 1 year and though the park is working hard to get it to 100%, its not there yet, and many of us are impatient! I have rode it 25 times now, but that has not come without a great deal of patience on my part - waiting through breakdowns, getting to the park right at opening, staying till close etc.

As far as breakfast is concerned Aunt Granny's no longer offers the breakfast buffet. However Front Porch offers breakfast and its amazing!!! They make popcorn grits with grains from the grist mill - delicious. Not sure if its only open when the park opens at 9AM or if its open everyday.

Got it! I knew aunt Grannies used to offer it glad to hear front porch does now.. in the past it was only on days the park opened early so at 9

It's always nice for people travelling that don't want to right the crowds at Shoneys or the pancake places on the strip lol

Edited by dstephe9

It is probably feeding off your negative energy and refusing to work...

Haha - probably. It's burnt me a few times the last couple years,so I do have bad feelings toward it. Got 3 in. 1 front right,one back left and one back middle right. Really really good. Surprisingly busy for a Wednesday in May today.

Haha - probably. It's burnt me a few times the last couple years,so I do have bad feelings toward it. Got 3 in. 1 front right,one back left and one back middle right. Really really good. Surprisingly busy for a Wednesday in May today.

End of year school field trips.. They keep the park fairly busy this time of year. My school always went in May and took 8 - 9 bus loads and I am from a small school district

Several schools usually visit a day so they can add up quickly

End of year school field trips.. They keep the park fairly busy this time of year. My school always went in May and took 8 - 9 bus loads and I am from a small school district

Several schools usually visit a day so they can add up quickly

Yea,now that you say it....seeing lots of younger folks. Thought a Wednesday in early May would be good for a 31 year old and wife for some marathon riding

PS - LR down for hour plus. Glad I got a few in. What a temperamental biotch

I'm planning to be at Dollywood on Friday, May 19. Would it be sound strategy to go to Lightning Rod first (before it has a chance to break down)? I'd like to ride Firechaser Express too. The usual advice is to go to FE first before the line gets long, but knowing how temperamental LR can be, it seems that going there first would be a better idea. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Would it be sound strategy to go to Lightning Rod first (before it has a chance to break down)?

Yes. FCE has fewer break downs. And while it can get long, watch the apps it will often have a shorter wait throughout the day. Lunch/supper times are usually better for all the rides.

I'm heee today as well and can confirm it's busy for a weekday. The rides are too crowded though, just the park. LR has been down for almost 2 hours, there was a train stopped at the launch.. they put one in the maintenance bay after that.

I'm heee today as well and can confirm it's busy for a weekday. The rides are too crowded though, just the park. LR has been down for almost 2 hours, there was a train stopped at the launch.. they put one in the maintenance bay after that.

I got a couple rides in this morning. Then it went down again and has t been up the rest of the day. Hopefully it is for those coming in this weekend! I'm lucky between Monday and today I got 6 or so rides in. Fantastic coaster if it worked. It's a real bummer that a $20+ million investment is not delivering as it should....even 14 months after it was supposed to be fully functioning. The park is such a beautiful landscape. Love every second of being there! Saw a lot of "TC" over the past few days.

Side note - Thunderhead needs some love. Even on the busier times,it never had a wait and I saw a ton of people pass it and some come off (like me) with a headache or shaking their heads. Even people younger than I passed on staying on LOL

I know LR isn't RMC's fault,but RMC should redo Thunderhead at a discount in good faith. That coaster lineup would be INSANE.

I've seen a number of reports recently about Thunderhead being pretty rough. I'm making my first visit to the park in 4 weeks, and probably won't be coming back for a long time. How rough is Thunderhead? For anyone who has also been on Apocalypse in the last year or so, is it as bad as that was before it got worked on? I don't mind some roughness but Apocalypse was getting to be too much for me to ride more than once or twice last year.

TH is still smoother than Judge Roy Scream was when I rode it a few years ago. Sadly I haven't ridden other​ Woodies that haven't been updated with more modern, smoother tracks recently enough to compare.

TH is no worse than the woodies as I remember​ them from 20yrs ago.

Edited by STDog

I will have no idea why some people think Thunderhead is rough. I rode it for the first time this past December, and it was butter-smooth in the front, and in the back there was a little bit of shaking at worst. And even if it was rough, it would still be worth the pain since the layout and elements are so great!