TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I also thought a drop tower would be perfect there, so it's nice to finally see it come to fruition.

The ride looks great, love the rotating view that it gives going up the tower...and who couldn't love the "Donkey Engine" theming?

While I'm disappointed that a playground was taken away for Whistle Punk Chaser, as a coaster and experience, it looks much nicer and more fun than Sideshow Spin did.

Was that the fun water playground? If so, kind of a bummer. More kids can enjoy that than another kiddie coaster.

They have the larger, more interactive one by FireChaser Express still. My kids spent an hour there last week getting soaked.

We never spent much time in that one because it always seemed to be roped off when we visited. All I remember was the little flume that they could play with so not sure if that is the one you were referring to. It was mainly a large standard playground where Whistle Punk Chaser stands.

Edited by ernierocker

Yeah, the play area beside thunderhead always seemed fairly empty in my experience.. the new backyard​ band or whatever area with the cast iron stuff to bang on sees much more popular, although smaller.. and the big one beside firechaser is still there as well

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Drop Line looks like a great addition to the park!! The views look amazing!!

I'm so glad to see that they put a drop tower in that location! I'm pretty sure we all thought that would be the best thing to fill that void, and I'm glad to see the park thought the same thing!!

Is it just me, or do POV's of drop towers never do the ride justice?? It's like they make the ride look much more underwhelming that it really is!

Looks like Lightning Rod has been down all day (or at least most of it) after running only one train yesterday (in the rain, no less). I really hope they're able to get whatever kinks remain worked out before the full-fledged summer/vacation season begins.

Is it just me, or do POV's of drop towers never do the ride justice?? It's like they make the ride look much more underwhelming that it really is!

It's not just you. Drop towers are all about the feeling of falling, which really can't be captured well by a camera. I may like some better than others, but I haven't encountered one yet I didn't like. I doubt Drop Line will change that.

They added a platform(dock) between the tower and the operator station in the pond any one know what its for?

They are putting a Donkey Steam Engine on the dock that will let off steam every time it drops!

Never works. What a terrible investment...

Never?

So all of use that rode over the last 2 months just imagined it?

It's been doing pretty good this season. Not 100%, but other than one span a few weeks back, it's been up mostly.

As the 2nd post shows, all coaster have some down time.

I wasn't watching today, but was it open earlier?

I get it, it's disappointing but are you really planning on spending the day moping around? You're at Dollywood and given your other posts it's not like you won't be back. Maybe it'll open, maybe it won't but you'll ride it eventually. In the meantime go ride one of their other awesome coasters (which includes TT since it's since reopened), eat some cinnamon bread and stop complaining. You're at Dollywood.

Edit: Hey look, Lightning Rod is open.

Edited by coasterbill

This rollercoaster is super retarded. Came from St Louis. Never works. What a terrible investment...

Run to it! It's open with a five minute wait.. If you don't run, you might not make it!

When I went on Wed, May 3rd, had a great time, went on Lightning Rod, my very first RMC, loved it, holy shit it was nuts lol. Went on FireChaser Express for the first time, can see what makes this a family coaster, good starting coaster for the little ones, pretty fun imo.

3rd trip to Dollywood, always enjoy it here, good food, really nice people, wait times overall weren't too long and the weather was nice, couldn't really ask for much more.

Also got to ride on Drop Line on one of its last Technical Rehearsal days, just happened to stop at the pizza place across from it to eat and as we got finished, noticed they were letting people on so I decided to give it a whirl. Not as tall as Drop Zone at KI but I thought it was the perfect height, not so tall that it becomes really intimidating and I got an absolutely gorgeous view of the park and the mountains, loved it !

A terrible investment that just so happens to be widely accepted as the best coaster in the world right now.... It might be down for a bit, but at least it's open more than it's down this year. No doubt it's still made a boat load of money for DW.

All coasters close for maintenance, unfortunately LR just needs a lot of it. If we get to a point where it's closed for two week stretches like last year then we can really complain....

They added a platform(dock) between the tower and the operator station in the pond any one know what its for?

They are putting a Donkey Steam Engine on the dock that will let off steam every time it drops!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to checking it out!

Giving it a try once more tomorrow.

Do they do breakfast there?....aside from cinnamon bread lol....like a real breakfast? Pregnant wife needs some real breakfast food

Not really. Some good pastries in the bakery but not a real breakfast. They don't open early enough for that.

Maybe you could hit the resort restaurant?

Pretty sure they do breakfast.

I haven't seen any yet this year.. they aren't codes though, in the past you have to take the entire coke can.. I think last year Wendy's bags had a discount to but I don't eat Wendy's much to know if it's back or not