TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Anyone remember off the top of their head how long Enra is going to be there? I forgot their dates.. that's one show I do wanna make a special trip to see

Edit: April 22 is the last day for Enra

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

What time of year generally does Wild Eagle shut down for the wasps/hornets/bees/bugs? I can't recall when that migration time is and if they close the ride completely or if it's open during early morning and in the evening. Can someone with more information and a better memory fill me in?

Late summer early fall.. I feel I saw it closed more during the early fall for the bees

Luckily they said the top on LR works so Pete said in a video that they are considering putting something similar on wild eagle.. not sure how I feel about that.. but it might keep it from closing

Also, the rides close during the heat of the day for the bees.. so ride in the morning and evening.. mid days when they are closed

What time of year generally does Wild Eagle shut down for the wasps/hornets/bees/bugs? I can't recall when that migration time is and if they close the ride completely or if it's open during early morning and in the evening. Can someone with more information and a better memory fill me in?

Later in the summer I think. Late Aug and Sep.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&p=1745081#p1745081

Hey guys, quick question about Dollywood rain/thunderstorm policy. Going to be at the park tomorrow evening and Tuesday and the weather is looking like 90% chance of rain. Does Dollywood follow a strict Cedar Fair-like rain policy of closing everything down or are they more likely to keep most coasters open in the rain? I'm really hoping to get some quality time in with Lightning Rod!

Does Dollywood follow a strict Cedar Fair-like rain policy of closing everything down or are they more likely to keep most coasters open in the rain?

Coasters stay open in the rain. They only shut them down for lightning.

Not sure how far out their detectors are, but I think it's 30 min w/o lightning to restart.

Search this thread as I recall a few mentions of it before.

But the rest of the park stays open unless it's really bad/unsafe.

Edited by STDog

I'm not a big fan of the name Drop Line, but I'm glad Lightning Rod is Lightning Rod... it's honestly the only coaster name I actually like at DW next to 'Tornado and Thunderhead.

I really like that they chose a name that is relevant to the logging industry in the area.

20170413_122559.thumb.jpg.a005d30dc39b9a9e7afdb99650be4ddf.jpg

Hi all,

I've read through this thread quite a bit and have really enjoyed reading about people's experiences at Dollywood!

I'm trying to plan a summer trip there, but the only time my friend and I both can get off work is the weekend right before 4th of July. We want to visit Dollywood on July 2nd or 3rd, but I'm concerned the park will be crazy busy. How are wait times for rides at Dollywood on long weekends? I read here that many visitors of Dollywood and SDC will go just to enjoy the park itself, but that doesn't always mean the wait times are bad for rides. Is this the case on a weekend like 4th of July? Or, would you recommend a fast pass?

Our main reason for visiting is Lightning Rod. (I know that in and of itself is a gamble - that thing sounds like a mechanical nightmare but completely awesome anyway.) But, if we're going to travel all the way there from Dallas, we'd like to ride other things as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for wait times it all depends but in the heart of summer they can be pretty bad depending on weather.. on the slow days LR, Fire Chaser, and Mystery Mine can have waits of 30 - 45 minutes.. on the semi busy days LR can be as much as an hour and a half.

I recommend not falling for any buy a fast pass online promos (if they have any) and just buy at the park.. if you are spending two days there you may not need one at all unless you just hate lines

One tip is even on busy days the lines die down about an hour before close. Sometimes the exception to this can be if a lot of folks are trying to get night rides on the coasters but in the middle of summer it doesn't get dark here until 9:30ish anyways so the night rides aren't pitch black meaning it shouldn't cause much of an issue

As a tip, Dollywood doesn't hide wait times in their app like some parks do (meaning you don't have to be in the park to see wait times).. Download the app and keep an eye on wait times, it's fairly accurate.. it might be a good way to plan especially if you check it various times of the day to see the trends

We are visiting Dollywood for the first time this week in celebration of my 40th birthday. The weather is calling for rain. Does Dollywood run rides in the rain or do they completely shut down? It's not looking good this week so trying to see what I am going to be able to get on. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

CD isn't a good sign! This is how it starts with the ride being down for weeks/months.. as we have learned, Dollywood doesn't give up trying to get the ride working even if they just open it 30 minutes before closing.. CD might be a sign something broke that needs a part

CD isn't a good sign! This is how it starts with the ride being down for weeks/months.. as we have learned, Dollywood doesn't give up trying to get the ride working even if they just open it 30 minutes before closing.. CD might be a sign something broke that needs a part

Honestly it can go just any way. I've seen a few times last season where LR was down one day but opened up the very next. Other times of course were exactly as you mentioned. I did notice that the app had it listed as "TC" right after the park opened but an hour later, it was changed to "CD".

Thanks for the info on the wasps at Wild Eagle! I should be good since we'll be there the last week of July. Expecting monster crowds but that's the only time we can get down there so will buy the Timesaver pass and will just have to wait for 2nd rides on things we like. Appreciate the tip on checking their app since you don't need to be in the park to view wait times!

Thanks for the info on the wasps at Wild Eagle! I should be good since we'll be there the last week of July. Expecting monster crowds but that's the only time we can get down there so will buy the Timesaver pass and will just have to wait for 2nd rides on things we like. Appreciate the tip on checking their app since you don't need to be in the park to view wait times!

Take a look at what rides the TimeSaver works on. You have 8 uses for the rides other than LR and Drop Line.

So after TT, TH, WE, and FCE you still have 4. And that's only if you need to use TS for all of them. You may well not need it for some of the rides it could be used on.

There are two Xs that are for LR and DL, but you could use them both for the same ride, so at least in theory get two runs on LR if not interested in DL. (at least as far as I could tell last month they don't track what you used a given tab for).

I also just noticed mention of a TimeSaver Unlimited on the website, but no indication of cost or how to purchase.

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/TimeSaver-Pass

TimeSaver Unlimited – Allows unlimited access to expedited entrances at your choice of participating TimeSaver attractions* and unlimited show reservations at participating theaters.

I'm guessing the * indicates the special conditions for LR an DL appy to it as well.

Honestly it can go just any way. I've seen a few times last season where LR was down one day but opened up the very next. Other times of course were exactly as you mentioned. I did notice that the app had it listed as "TC" right after the park opened but an hour later, it was changed to "CD".

Do you guy think there's a chance they may be trying to fix something early in the week before weekend crowds? I am flying across the country for a retry trip (of last years failed attempt) this weekend and I thought all was fine. Should I be worried?

I doubt it.. it's Spring Break for the local schools in Sevier County I believe.. That's why they are open everyday this week. Normally they would be closed tomorrow.

I mean Dollywood would want it fixed ASAP but I don't think they closed early in the week purposely to make sure it's open this weekend.. they are planned to have a fairly busy week all week

I'm sure it'll be back running by the weekend, let's hope

Essentially, this is a very bad week for any downtime on LR in my opinion.. Locals might be like "well LR is down, let's do something else instead" during a week when a lot of locals will be off.