TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Sitar if you like Indian food.

Old Mill is good, but usually has a long wait to get in.

I'm fond of Bubba Gump Shrimp in Gatlinburg personally.. I know a lot of folks hate the Landry's restaurants (Bubba Gump, Rainforest Cafes, T-Rex Cafe and the other restaurants designed for tourist) but u love Bubba Gump food.

On a side note, Bubba Gumps is the only Landry's restaurant in the area but if you have the Landry's Select Card you can use it at Bubba Gumps

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks!

Yup, there are some folks here who know more about it then me and they will explain it better when they see the post but essentially it was a fun house before Dollywood, then her museum and now they open it for some odd and end things every now and then but that's it.. a few years ago they had a small coaster museum in it

Drop line was doing a lot of testing this morning and we watched several cycles of it. It rotates around the tower several times while ascending. Once it gets to the top of the tower it stops climbing, and makes one full rotation. Then it climbs just a few feet more and abruptly drops. Can't wait to ride Dollywoods unique to the States drop tower!!!

And food wise I personally love Quaker Steak and lube in Pigeon Forge at the corner of the parkway and Collier... I'm originally from Buffalo, NY and their Buffalo wings are top notch... Good burgers too.

Smoky Mountain Trout House in Gatlinburg and Applewood Farmhouse in Pigeon Forge are also some of my faves.

And food wise I personally love Quaker Steak and lube in Pigeon Forge at the corner of the parkway and Collier... I'm originally from Buffalo, NY and their Buffalo wings are top notch... Good burgers too.

Smoky Mountain Trout House in Gatlinburg and Applewood Farmhouse in Pigeon Forge are also some of my faves.

I hate Quaker Steak and Lube because they replaced mr ghattis pizza which was one of the best pizza buffets ever! Haha with that being said, their hot wings are good.. they opened one here in Knoxville as well. I like them, locally though, I know a lot of people who don't like them for some reason.. One of the managers told me the one in Knoxville is actually struggling.. not sure about the one in Pigeon Forge, they always look full but so did Mr Ghattis when it was there.

Drop line...rotates around the tower several times while ascending. Once it gets to the top of the tower it stops climbing, and makes one full rotation. Then it climbs just a few feet more and abruptly drops. Can't wait to ride Dollywoods unique to the States drop tower!!!

I don't know what sounds more intimidating: Drop Line or

Drop line was doing a lot of testing this morning and we watched several cycles of it. It rotates around the tower several times while ascending. Once it gets to the top of the tower it stops climbing, and makes one full rotation. Then it climbs just a few feet more and abruptly drops. Can't wait to ride Dollywoods unique to the States drop tower!!!

For those who are wondering, here's a transportable version of what Dollywood now has...

As pumped as I am for the park to have a drop tower, I was a bit surprised that they went for this style, especially after seeing how closely it resembles the transportable version. The lightning package will no doubt be amazing, but it looks more like something you would find at the Island.

And the crown is a little...generic? (see below)

I expected something more custom-made for Dollywood...even a butterfly for Dolly (I'm sure they would have made it tasteful).

I suppose I was hoping for something more along the lines of Falcon's Fury. But beggars can't be choosers.

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.f4d4d702057052eeaf4683878a20ddde.JPG

I expected something more custom-made for Dollywood...even a butterfly for Dolly (I'm sure they would have made it tasteful).

Perhaps it was a late decision and there wasn't time to design and build something custom?

The tech I talked to Wednesday hinted at it being a late decision.

They could always add to it later.

Thank you all for the food suggestions! We ended up at The Pottery House Cafe and Grille. They had a small wait, but the food was really really good!

Elissa, the brewery never even came up when I was looking! I'll put that one the list for next time though.

Also, it seems that people really love buffets out here, there are sooo many! Hahahah.

Perhaps it was a late decision and there wasn't time to design and build something custom?

The tech I talked to Wednesday hinted at it being a late decision.

They could always add to it later.

Any idea on a soft opening? Or "Technical Rehearsal"?

Any idea on a soft opening? Or "Technical Rehearsal"?

He didn't volunteer anything.

My guess is late April (hope so since I'll be in the area)

My guess, too! Sweet...hope so! We're going down the second week of May and was hoping to get a ride on it. Our 2 trips last year rendered no success on the Lightning Rod Hoping we get to it this year

As pumped as I am for the park to have a drop tower, I was a bit surprised that they went for this style, especially after seeing how closely it resembles the transportable version. The lightning package will no doubt be amazing, but it looks more like something you would find at the Island.

I suppose I was hoping for something more along the lines of Falcon's Fury. But beggars can't be choosers.

We'll also, it's a drop tower.. other than a crown and the station, not really much you can do with theming.. plus Dollywood is known to go with smaller, less known companies for rides.. The one they built is definitely not transportable and doesnt look anything like a cheap carnival ride in Dollywood. It's very nice looking.. it's beefy looking and looks like a permanent ride for years to come

Also, Dollywood has limited space.. this ride has probably been planned for a while, even though they just now built it.. the location has been ready for a new ride for years, after the timber tower failure. Not much else could go in it's space and the fact that Dollywood kept it's space probably means they have been planning for a drop tower eventually but they really couldn't go with one of those larger drop towers from other makers.

Edited by dstephe9

We'll also, it's a drop towers.. other than a crown and the station, not really much you can do with theming.. plus Dollywood is known to go with smaller, less known companies for rides.. The one they built is definitely not transportable and doesnt look anything like a cheap carnival ride in Dollywood. It's very nice looking.. it's beefy looking and looks like a permanent ride for years to come

Also, Dollywood has limited space.. this ride has probably been planned for a while, even though they just now built it.. the location has been ready for a new ride for years, after the timber tower failure. Not much else could go in it's space and the fact that Dollywood kept it's space probably means they have been planning for a drop tower eventually but they really couldn't go with one of those larger drop towers from other makers.

I don't mean to cause a dispute or "correct you".......but it's my understanding Dollywood has a TON of unused land. I can't remember where or who I heard that from. I thought it had something to do with expanding the train route and building up another new area. I could be wrong. BUT, again, this is a discussion board Just talking about what I thought I remember hearing...I could be wrong.

Dollywood does have a ton of unused land and their plan is to advance up towards the train loop with a new section eventually

What I meant with the limited space post is when Dollywood got rid of timber tower they left it's station, lines, and everything unused like they had a "plan" to put something in there.. The space is actually very small and compact so not much will fit. This is why Dollywood has had a drop tower rumor for so long.

With that being said, a drop tower like the one at SFOG would not fit in that area, those towers are huge haha even though Dollywoods is taller

Dollywood does have a ton of unused land and their plan is to advance up towards the train loop with a new section eventually

What I meant with the limited space post is when Dollywood got rid of timber tower they left it's station, lines, and everything unused like they had a "plan" to put something in there.. The space is actually very small and compact so not much will fit. This is why Dollywood has had a drop tower rumor for so long.

With that being said, a drop tower like the one at SFOG would not fit in that area, those towers are huge haha even though Dollywoods is taller

AH, totally makes sense. You're right with the footprint for the drop tower.

AH, totally makes sense. You're right with the footprint for the drop tower.

Yup, now a drop tower might of never been planned for the area.. that was always a rumor but the footprint is small and now that they did decide to put a tower in that location, I'm sure that limited the design to a handful of smaller models

For the space, I personally think this is the perfect model.. it's tall, it has decent capacity being a round carriage, and it doesnt look like a cheap carnival ride in the area

If they went with many of the other models that offer a small footprint, I feel capacity would be an issue.. a lot of the other models only allow 2 - 4 people per side (with square carriages) and Dollywood in general is trying to become a much larger park so they needed something with decent capacity