TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I've seen "less than" wait times on several rides, especially on slow days.

I think it's only logical/reasonable for people to blame the launch system because Velocity Magnetics has no track record with launching. I think there is a lot more to it though. Surely Dollywood/HFE knew what they were getting into before partnering with them.

Edited by LukeFlynn

Forgive me for not following the mechanical gremlins closely, but is there a specific thing that keeps causing the issue or is a just different smaller things popping up over time? I'd assume the launching system is being a PITA?

We really don't know.

There was much speculation, and contradictory statements by various people.

Forgive me for not following the mechanical gremlins closely, but is there a specific thing that keeps causing the issue or is a just different smaller things popping up over time? I'd assume the launching system is being a PITA?

We really don't know.

There was much speculation, and contradictory statements by various people.

Yup, like he says.. and I don't think they are purposely trying to avoid the question, I just feel there are so many small issues here and there that they get it wrong. I mean, a lot of the statements have been from very high in the parks management. I will say that personally, I haven't heard one person higher in management say it is the launch that is the issue.. doesn't mean it wasn't. Probably the most trusted source I have heard, for me at least, was when Pete said it was the trains in that video and they planned to rewire them.. but that doesn't mean he was correct either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Knoxville got hit.. two inches of hail at my apartment.. the storm headed right towards Dollywood but i believe West Knox got the most of it.. I was actually headed back from Gatlinburg when it hit and drove through it.. when I got hit by it there was no hail and this was between Kodak (the interstate exit for Dollywood) and Knoxville.. but I still had two inches of hail at my apartment when I got home. I live in very close to West Knox around the papermill area

Anyone at the park? Can anyone confirm they are running two trains or not? From the wait times, it doesn't look very busy and we are at 30 mins now so I would imagine only running 1 train?

Even Firechaser only has a 5 min wait as of now. Maybe the entire park flooded to LR when they saw it open lol

:lol: Oh god, that Coaster Studios kid is there today after visiting 5 times last year and failing to ride it all 5 times. I won't lie, I know a lot of people can't stand him but he doesn't bother me and I'm starting to feel a little bad for him with this thing. Come on Lightning Rod, throw the guy a bone.

~ 15 minutes ago posted from the line, then some one commented it had an error.

Looks like the live feed had him boarding the train just now. Feed ended.

I feel like we're getting a little nuts with the minute-by-minute Lightning Rod updates. I'm partially responsible, but holy crap.

- Ride is open

- Less than 15 minutes

- Now 20

- Now 25

- Lead Ride Operator going to take a sh*t

- Now wiping

- Sh*t successful

- Coaster Studios guy is in line

- It's broken

- It's fixed

- Air gates are opening

- Guy in row 7 is doing the walk of shame

- Dispatch

- Guy waiting for row 3 is picking his a**

... we get it. lol

:lol: I feel like we're getting a little nuts with the minute-by-minute Lightning Rod updates. I'm partially responsible, but holy crap.

Wasn't that bad.

Loaded his page when someone mentioned it being open. Wait, that was you...

I happened to hit refresh on FB to see if he'd made it and was live about to board the train.

Now he won't be able to whine about not getting to ride anymore.

Edited by STDog

:lol: I feel like we're getting a little nuts with the minute-by-minute Lightning Rod updates. I'm partially responsible, but holy crap.

- Ride is open

- Less than 15 minutes

- Now 20

- Now 25

- Now wiping

- Sh*t successful

- It's broken

- It's fixed

- Air gates are opening

- Dispatch

... we get it. lol

This post has made my day.

Like I said, I'm partially responsible. I just realized I had created a monster that was completely out of control. It won't be the first or last time that happens on this site.

I think a few of us just had a bit of fun on a slow day.

It's all in fun.

There were some other posts in the middle of it too.

fu**ing River Battle. on our trip last summer I rode four things before heat destroyed the family. Lightning Rod once, Mystery Mine once and River Battle twice. Place was stupid hot it was the only thing my 3 year old wanted to ride and would have done it a hundred times had i not distracted him with pizza. now as summer draws near "dada i want to go to ride bears house (i guess there is bears by the entrance or in the ride this is what he calls River Battle) at Dollywood" he will ask several times. I really want to take him back to the park but i don't want to ride that god damn thing again and I know that's the first thing he will want to do.

Haha.. I purposely walk close to it on hot days so the kids can spray me but I have never been on it, that song would annoy me to death though if I had to ride it a lot

- Ride is open

- Less than 15 minutes

- Now 20

- Now 25

- Now wiping

- Sh*t successful

- It's broken

- It's fixed

- Air gates are opening

- Dispatch

... we get it. lol

giphy.gif

- Ride is open

- Less than 15 minutes

- Now 20

- Now 25

- Now wiping

- Sh*t successful

- It's broken

- It's fixed

- Air gates are opening

- Dispatch

... we get it. lol

giphy.gif

I've come to expect this from Bill honestly.

Wow! Lightning Rod 5 minute wait at 6pm. I know where I would be the rest of the night.

If LR manages to stay open to closing, it's very easy to catch a few rides on it at the end of the day.. last season, I had several days where I got several back to back rides around closing.. Dollywood empties out about an hour before closing and always has, unless it's a very busy day where the end of extending park hours.

Now don't expect this to happen during summer nights or the Christmas​ festival (both those festival's are designed for late nights) and probably not during the October Festival this year but other parts of the season it's very easy to get walk on rides on even LR

^^I thought that tower was a radio tower or a crane or something, but then I realized it's the new ride. Woah, it looks incredibly tall in that spot.

I thought the same thing. Damn that's a big tower!! Can't wait to go down on it!