TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Noticed the other day Dollywood was talking about the Flooded Mine on FB. Lots of shares and comments.

If you zoom in on the picture someone seems scared. Lol

Some things never change. Looks like the look of the typical guest when they find out Lightning Rod is closed, again.

I hope LR is running consistently this year so the jokes and complaining end as this thing is spectacular, though I do get a little bit of joy out knowing I was one of what seems like few to get to ride it but that is purely my selfishness

I hope LR is running consistently this year so the jokes and complaining end as this thing is spectacular, though I do get a little bit of joy out knowing I was one of what seems like few to get to ride it but that is purely my selfishness

I've ridden it multiple times as well, and I do agree that it is a fantastic ride.

There have been multiple people whom haven't ridden it claiming it to be overhyped and overrated. The simple fact is, all of the hype is well deserved, and they're not going to understand until they ride it. I know I sound like some mesmerized member of the general public in awe of the airtime machine that is Lightning Rod.. but it truly is great.

I don't think the GP is as disgruntled as we can be, especially the locals. A few of the coaster youtubers (and other communities) are giving this ride a bad wrap just because of the downtime. I think the Golden Ticket Aware was well deserved regardless.

Edited by LukeFlynn

I think they will. A lot of people either didn't pay attention or don't remember, but Outlaw Run had a lot of problems its first year too. I don't think I went a single day in 2013 where it wasn't down at least part of the day. It wasn't the weeks at a time of Lightning Rod, but it was significant.

SDC did a lot of work over the offseason and starting in 2014, it was a lot more reliable. I trust Dollywood can do the same, since I hear there has been quite a bit of work done this offseason.

Still, this isn't the sort of place where one ride being down destroys your visit. I'm sure Lightning Rod will be great, but I'm not depending on it running in May.

I think they will. A lot of people either didn't pay attention or don't remember, but Outlaw Run had a lot of problems its first year too. I don't think I went a single day in 2013 where it wasn't down at least part of the day. It wasn't the weeks at a time of Lightning Rod, but it was significant.

SDC did a lot of work over the offseason and starting in 2014, it was a lot more reliable. I trust Dollywood can do the same, since I hear there has been quite a bit of work done this offseason.

Still, this isn't the sort of place where one ride being down destroys your visit. I'm sure Lightning Rod will be great, but I'm not depending on it running in May.

Outlaw Run had problems, but I don't remember it being anywhere near so bad that it had problems every single day in 2013. I visited several times that year and I think it was only down once temporarily for me. It may have had more problems early in the season...

Lightning Rod is the worst case of extended downtime I've ever seen in a new coaster. It's almost unprecedented. I can think of several other coasters that had a lot of problems in their opening years, but the vast majority get fixed by the later part of the season at least. Count me in as also very curious to see how well it will run this year.

And I think the barn doesn't look that bad - it's mostly awkward because of the concrete walls on either end. Maybe they'll be able to cut them down a bit at some point. It looks like a huge improvement to the area though. Really brings out the country fair vibe better than a cramped kiddie coaster.

Yeah, it didn't even begin to operate until around summer... The whole issue with RMC's restraint cylinder recall seemed to set them back as well. I can personally verify that it was running consistently between late September and early December, it had an hour or two of downtime on some days, but overall fairly reliable. Most of the time they only ran one train though, it seems like the addition of two always made the whole thing finicky.

I remember back during the ACE event in November, LR ran both trains all day. I don't recall ever seeing any downtime that particular day. It was probably the best I've seen in terms of operations for the coaster. My latest visit was in late December and it was down the whole time. I'm pretty sure the reliability will be a lot higher this season, but I wouldn't guarantee anything at the moment. We can only hope.

As far as the GP's opinion of Lightning Rod, I observed it varies greatly. I recall on my visit in August a few people that were not fans of the ride. People specifically toward the back of the train complained about it being headache inducing and painful on the legs. The leg pain I can understand as very few coasters have that kind of ridiculous airtime, and the headaches could either come from those couple of hard track bumps or even just the strong forces of the ride overall (that happened to me after several rides in a row and I had to stop for a bit). One kid in particular that sat behind me on one of my rides was silent the whole ride, and upon hitting the brakes said "That was too fast..." in a very matter-of-fact way. I couldn't help but laugh to myself at his response. Later in the day I rode with a guy that upon hitting the brakes loudly exclaimed "The BEST roller coaster I've ever ridden!!!"

Question for the frequent Dollywood Flyers -

If my wife and I are planning to go to the park on Monday (5/8) after 2 or 3pm for the next day free, does it apply to that Wednesday (5/10) since the park is closed on Tuesdays? Does this question make sense?

Thanks so much!

Yeah, it didn't even begin to operate until around summer... The whole issue with RMC's restraint cylinder recall seemed to set them back as well. I can personally verify that it was running consistently between late September and early December, it had an hour or two of downtime on some days, but overall fairly reliable. Most of the time they only ran one train though, it seems like the addition of two always made the whole thing finicky.

Referring to single train ops, that time of year is not really peak season. I remember LR opening just as one of the European coaster groups (not sure if ECC or RCCGB) rolled into Dollywood in June.

As far as the GP's opinion of Lightning Rod, I observed it varies greatly.

I noticed this as well, I think it's in Skyrush or i305 territory. Most people I rode around were blown away by it, but some people had a look of "never again." I hope they were able to fix that pothole on the big drop because it was jarring in the back row. I have faith Dollywood will get it up and running with fewer issues this season.

Referring to single train ops, that time of year is not really peak season. I remember LR opening just as one of the European coaster groups (not sure if ECC or RCCGB) rolled into Dollywood in June.

The actual cause of the downtime on this particular day was them adding a train and it causing a fault of some kind. I'll agree that it's not peak season, but it's by no means slow either.

The "pothole" has been fixed according to Pete Owens. When I first rode in October I definitely noticed the pothole in the back row, I rode it multiple times in November and don't remember noticing.. could just be confirmation bias though.

Edited by LukeFlynn

Monday (5/8) after 2 or 3pm for the next day free, does it apply to that Wednesday (5/10) since the park is closed on Tuesdays?

I don't think consecutive days is a requirement, but recommend you call/email/facebook message and ask.

Monday (5/8) after 2 or 3pm for the next day free, does it apply to that Wednesday (5/10) since the park is closed on Tuesdays?

I don't think consecutive days is a requirement, but recommend you call/email/facebook message and ask.

I'd call.. emailing them takes like 10+ days for a reply, if they reply at all.. I have emailed them on several occasions and never received anything back. not sure how well they answer their Facebook messages lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both! I'll call

I have emailed them on several occasions and never received anything back. not sure how well they answer their Facebook messages

I've had good responses on FB. That's messaging, not posts on the page or comments.

Never tried email though.

So generally speaking, how are crowds on opening day?

Depends how pretty it is.. last year, one of the weekends right around opening day was a record breaker.. (I don't believe it was on opening day though)

Warm winter has caused some very very pretty and warm weekends recently

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk