TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I enjoyed FireChaser until it took my hood.

Apparently, my coat has a zip off hood that isn't coaster friendly. It decided to plop off in the shed, so probably the best place in all of Dollywood to lose an item on a coaster. Got it back pretty easily.

Other than that, it was a really great coaster and I would recommend it too!

I think Thunderhead is way better than Tennessee Tornado, although TT is excellent, and my second-favorite in the park. If you're from far away, those are still worth it if they have extremely long wait times.

Oh yes, Thunderhead blew me away. I think it's my new favorite GCI. With LR closed, we decided Thunderhead was our favorite ride in the park, but we didn't really dislike anything. Every coaster was great and exceeded expectations.

Every coaster at this park should be a priority, if you go to the park for 2 days and don't get on all of them multiple times, then you suck at life (unless a certain one is closed both days, lol).

There have been moments where I've considered at least 4 coasters in this park to be my favorite. They're all so good and compliment each other so well that I can't make up my mind. Wild Eagle is a great, fast, floaty B&M with awesome views... Thunderhead (especially near the front) is awesome and has a bunch of pops of floater air that come completely out of nowhere, Tennessee Tornado is spectacular, the first drop is insanely cool and it's a super unique ride and Mystery Mine...

I've never in my life found Mystery Mine to be a rough ride. I've ridden it in every seat on the train, never rode it defensively in any way and loved it every single time. As of now, it's probably my favorite ride in the park and if I were to rank the coasters I've ridden it would easily be the most absurdly overrated coaster on the list.

I had a bad time on Mystery Mine riding in an outer seat through the wonky outdoor section. The ending bit with the twisty drop and the hang time is really fun though.

I've never in my life found Mystery Mine to be a rough ride. I've ridden it in every seat on the train, never rode it defensively in any way and loved it every single time. As of now, it's probably my favorite ride in the park and if I were to rank the coasters I've ridden it would easily be the most absurdly overrated coaster on the list.

I agree that it isn’t a rough ride, but I’m spoiled by easy access to its sibling to the south at SFOG. The lap bars are a game changer on euro fighters in my opinion. MM is fun, but it’s never done as much for me as some others, probably because of Dare Devil Dive.

I agree that it isn’t a rough ride, but I’m spoiled by easy access to its sibling to the south at SFOG. The lap bars are a game changer on euro fighters in my opinion. MM is fun, but it’s never done as much for me as some others, probably because of Dare Devil Dive.

I do wish all Eurofighters had lapbars like you said, but Dare Devil Dive just sucks.

I don't think MM is rough per se, but it's got some strange jarring elements that I don't like - I'm sure the restraints don't help.

I guess Firechaser would be my lowest-ranked non-kiddie coaster at Dollywood, because I don't count Blazing Fury since it's almost completely powered (but even BF really well-done!) and Firechaser is extremely unique, and it's a favorite amongst my family, and it's just a fun ride that makes you smile. At most parks it would be in the top 3 or 4, but at Dollywood it's not even in the top 5 for me (assuming Lightning Rod is number 1.)

MM has always been my fav ride at DW.. it took me by surprise the first time I was on it and that stuck with me and I still love it

I have always felt that a lot of the roughness on MM actually add to the theme of a runaway mine car. Maybe this is why a lot of people say it has "strange" jarring at places. Maybe some of it was planned?

As for comparison between mm and DDD at SFOG, I love them both and both are unique in their own ways. I do wish Dollywood would switch to the lap bars (if possible) but I still love both rides.. DDD is intense the entire ride, high speeds at every corner like a dive plane which is it's theme.. While MM is much slower paced until the end which adds to it's theme of a mine car that loses control due to the gas buildup and "explosion"

That's the nice part of Dollywood, they try to match the entire ride experience to the theme, even if that makes part of the ride slower than what you would imagine on a coaster.

Also, Firechaser is my least ridden ride at Dollywood, but it is a great ride and I recommend it to anyone visiting the park, even if you only have one day planned! The line does get long, and that's why I don't ride it often, but you have to experience it! It's great even though it's only a family coaster.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Every coaster at this park should be a priority, if you go to the park for 2 days and don't get on all of them multiple times, then you suck at life (unless a certain one is closed both days, lol).

I'll keep this in mind.

Seriously though, I'm really enjoying reading this discussing and everybody's thoughts on the coasters as I think about my upcoming trip in June.

Does anyone else think that the park will eventually replace the Arrow trains on Tennessee Tornado with the new Vekoma ones?

I have to think that they won't because the ride runs great with the arrow trains. The only reason I see them getting the Vekomas is if parts for the current trains become obsolete

Most parks are getting Vekomas only if the old arrow coaters where beating people up. TT is actually very very smooth

Plus Dollywood just sent one of their arrow trains off for refurbishing this year.. no idea why they would refurbish if they had plans to replace

Most parks are getting Vekomas only if the old arrow coaters where beating people up. TT is actually very very smooth

Plus Dollywood just sent one of their arrow trains off for refurbishing this year.. no idea why they would refurbish if they had plans to replace

I've heard lots of good things about Tennessee Tornado. On a related note, I need to get to Dollywood soon (I've never been there)

Tennessee Tornado is perfect, don't f*ck with it.

I will agree that TT was pretty amazing, for what it was! However, it DID feel like half a coaster, as it was SO short! Still, I'd heard it was the best of the old Arrow loopers, and it did not disappoint!

My favorite coaster at DW was, of course, the ever-elusive Lightning Rod! (I tend to think of myself as generally unlucky in life, but I was able to get on LR 5 times, so I guess that's got to count for being at least somewhat lucky! ) However, the competition for second favorite was tight! I think, in the end, I give the nod to Thunderhead, especially since it was also a night ride, and it seemed absolutely out of control! I agree, however, that DW doesn't have a bad coaster in the bunch!

Good Lord I hope they never replace the Arrow trains! I've heard a few people mention this. Arrow trains (for a tall person like myself anyways) aren't particularly uncomfortable on a smooth ride like TT. I can't see how the Vekoma trains would improve the ride AT ALL. Plus let's be honest, Arrow trains are sexy.

Refurbished both, actually from what I can tell.

Tennessee Tornado is perfect, don't f*ck with it.

I will agree that TT was pretty amazing, for what it was! However, it DID feel like half a coaster, as it was SO short! Still, I'd heard it was the best of the old Arrow loopers, and it did not disappoint!

My favorite coaster at DW was, of course, the ever-elusive Lightning Rod! (I tend to think of myself as generally unlucky in life, but I was able to get on LR 5 times, so I guess that's got to count for being at least somewhat lucky! [emoji38] ) However, the competition for second favorite was tight! I think, in the end, I give the nod to Thunderhead, especially since it was also a night ride, and it seemed absolutely out of control! I agree, however, that DW doesn't have a bad coaster in the bunch!

It is actually "half a coaster".. From what I have read and heard, the tunnel killed the budget and the coaster had to be shortened from the original plans..

Remember, it was built before Dollywood really started upgrading to much larger coasters so they probably didn't have the wiggle room on budgets they have now

Now I will say the Vekoma Trains made night and day difference on Ninja (Now Blue Hawk) at SFOG vs the old arrow trains.. that ride is now enjoyable for me. But I don't see how they could help TT.. heck, hey might even slow it down because the new trians are so big and bulky vs the arrow dynamic Arrow Trains..

Edited by dstephe9