TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Just to clear a few things up-

1) There are 2 separate systems involved with Lightning Rod; The Ride Control System, which our company (IOE) was contracted to do, and the Launch Control System, which was contracted out to another company. Our system, is responsible for everything but sending the train up the launch hill. So, brakes, boosters, transfer table etc. As far as we are aware, there have been no issues with our system.

2) The two systems do communicate with one another, meaning the launch system tells us that it is ready and we tell the launch system we are sending a train to it. The integration of the two systems is pretty simple and standard and since being implemented, there has not been any issues as far as we are aware.

-=CoasterBP

Irvine-Ondrey Engineering

Senior PLC Programmer

1) There are 2 separate systems involved with Lightning Rod; The Ride Control System, which our company (IOE) was contracted to do, and the Launch Control System, which was contracted out to another company. Our system, is responsible for everything but sending the train up the launch hill. So, brakes, boosters, transfer table etc. As far as we are aware, there have been no issues with our system.

2) The two systems do communicate with one another, meaning the launch system tells us that it is ready and we tell the launch system we are sending a train to it. The integration of the two systems is pretty simple and standard and since being implemented, there has not been any issues as far as we are aware.

-=CoasterBP

Senior PLC Programmer

Is it common to have two different companies programming different parts on coasters, especially launch coasters? Not that I'll ever get a chance to build a coaster and contract jobs out, but I would assume it would be easier to have just one company do it all.

2) The two systems do communicate with one another, meaning the launch system tells us that it is ready and we tell the launch system we are sending a train to it.

So if the sensors that check the position of the restraints suddenly indicated an unlocked restraint as the train was about to hit the LSMs, would it stop the launch? What system would be responsible for reading that sensor and stopping the launch?

Are there sensors to detect problems between the first drop to the brake run?

What is the last point one of those could stop the launch?

So if the sensors that check the position of the restraints suddenly indicated an unlocked restraint as the train was about to hit the LSMs, would it stop the launch? What system would be responsible for reading that sensor and stopping the launch?

Are there sensors to detect problems between the first drop to the brake run?

What is the last point one of those could stop the launch?

You are giving the ride system a level of complexity that does not exist. The restraint checks occur in the station while the train is stationary. Once the train starts moving it no longer is in communication with the ride, any data the ride has from the train is then from on track sensors which are to detect location to prevent block violations.

-=CoasterBP

Senior PLC Programmer

So if the train leaves the station, at that point all systems are go? The launch is ready to power up? All sensors are checked? So if the ride is shutting down something is happening between the station and the launch?

I ended up at the park yesterday evening and saw a few successful launches but the ride never opened.. Last week at the park I don't believe I saw a single successful launch, Unfortunately today is all rainy and wet and during my trips to the park LR has only ran one time during the rain and it was up and down most of the day

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

At least they aren't toying with you today.. they have it listed as closed all day and none of that it's temporary crap like days past.. ha-ha, I didn't give it much faith being open today.. I have visited several times this season on rainy days and can only remember 1 rainy day it was open.. and then, it was up and down all day!

Thunderhead looks to be open today to, I know at least half the day yesterday it was closed..

Hopefully the lines aren't as bad today, I know yesterday most everything was 60+ mins for a lot of the day

So if the train leaves the station, at that point all systems are go? The launch is ready to power up? All sensors are checked? So if the ride is shutting down something is happening between the station and the launch?

Yes, that is correct. We wouldn't send a train to an area that is currently faulted.

-=CoasterBP

Senior PLC Programmer

Yes, that is correct. We wouldn't send a train to an area that is currently faulted.

-=CoasterBP

Senior PLC Programmer

Thanks for the info, one other question you may or may not be able to answer. We have discussed the new patented way that LR stores energy for the launch.. If there wasn't enough energy for that Launch, would it throw a fault into your system before the train left the station? Not allowing it to even leave the station?

Like for example, you said the launch tells your system it's ready.. Does that mean it has enough power for the launch at that time or does it start charging when the train leaves the station? (I know you didn't work on the launch but I figured you would know if the launch is 100% ready meaning charged before it tells your system to send the train)

Just curious

Why would it be closed for two days straight after they did successful test runs on it? There's always next year, but it would be nice to ride it some time this week, especially after seeing so many successful runs. I'm not as upset as I am confused about it.

Because one or two successful test runs mean nothing when within 5-10 minutes it always stops at the bottom of the launch track and needs to be pushed back to the station. The way it's going now, at best they might be able to open the ride for 5 minutes before they have to evacuate the riders and close the ride for the day.

Why would it be closed for two days straight after they did successful test runs on it? There's always next year, but it would be nice to ride it some time this week, especially after seeing so many successful runs. I'm not as upset as I am confused about it.

Because one or two successful test runs mean nothing when within 5-10 minutes it always stops at the bottom of the launch track and needs to be pushed back to the station. The way it's going now, at best they might be able to open the ride for 5 minutes before they have to evacuate the riders and close the ride for the day.

It was going pretty much the whole second half of the day monday. Also, they just changed it from CD to TC. Hopefully it stays that way.

Of course they finally announced it as closed for season. Supposed to be rainy this weekend, temps start dropping tomorrow so while still pretty tomorrow, today was probably their last "projected" busy day due to it being so warm and sunny.. now they feel closing it for the season won't hurt ticket sales [emoji14]

I know, all of this is a conspiracy theory but hey!

I'm actually glad they finally announced it as being closed.. no need to waste people's time who plan trips just for LR.. I know Dollywood is a great park.. out of my 40ish visits a year I only ride the rides 50% of those visits.. the other visits are to walk around, eat, and spend time with my GF.. We just enjoy spending the evenings there.. But not everyone comes to Dollywood for that.

It's crazy how much of a disappointment Lightning Rod has been... all 4 times I've been to Dollywood this year its has been closed. I'd like to see how many hours it has actually been open this year. And its really upsetting because the reason I got a season pass this past year was to ride it. I wish Dollywood would put on their website or something that it is closed.