TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

assigning blame is not a helpful act.

I never claimed to be helping. We're having a discussion, not organizing a food drive and writing another re-make of "We are the World" for Gatlinburg (that wouldn't even rhyme). It's a coaster forum. I encourage everyone to donate or help out if they can but that has nothing to do with this conversation.

You can't call people out on the internet who never claimed to be helping for not being helpful in a crisis while excusing TEMA (an organization who's entire job is to be helpful in a crisis) for telling a bunch of people that their businesses / jobs / livelihoods were destroyed when they never bothered to actually look into it. Talk about not helping the situation... it's their job to be helpful. It's not ours.

It is a by-product of 24/7 news cycles, and internet news and the immediate need to know.

This "situation" that we're dealing with here has zero to do with the "State of American Journalism"

Make up your mind. These are direct contradictions.

And in response to the idea that we should excuse trusted news agencies and government organizations for their royal f**k ups because these royal f**k ups have become commonplace, no.

If you are going to quote me, do so correctly. I stand by what I said in my previous post. MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE CONCEPTS.

Like I said earlier, I plan on being there Saturday evening.. probably earlier now! My GF and I did have plans to eat Bubba Gump and walk around Gatlinburg and then head to Dollywood at dark.. I doubt Gatlinburg will be open so it'll probably the the island and Dollywood now ha-ha or just Dollywood

Heck, we actually had plans to go today as well but after I saw they planned to be closed I rearranged my work schedule to be off tomorrow only to find they extended the closing.. probably hit up zoo knoxville or something tomorrow if it's pretty

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TEMA posted on their site about Ober being destroyed and that post now says "update" so yea they reported it incorrectly on their official news feed.. that's where the ober stuff came from.. again, the original post is now gone but says post updated because of the video that surfaced

Would you post a link please? thanks

http://www.tnema.org/news/tema/?p=2721

This is the post that updates their original statement

In my opinion though TEMA should never have to post an update like this. They should confirm and verify before they announce anything.. in their defense, and older version of this update said they had been told it was destroyed by people in the field that had seen it but who knows.

Edited by dstephe9

" TEMA Update on Sevier County Wildfires, 11-29-16, 8 a.m., Central

HIGHLIGHTS

This update corrects information indicating Ober Gatlinburg was destroyed in the wildfire last night. Ober Gatlinburg posted video this morning on its Facebook page, indicating all is OK at the facility: https://www.facebook.com/obergatlinburg/"

In my opinion though TEMA should never have to post an update like this.

I completely agree. Saying Ober Gatlinburg was destroyed and then being all "oops!" is like saying that Disneyland was destroyed, and then all "oops! Sorry." Like, how do you get that factoid wrong? Yes, it's a natural disaster and there are lots of things going on that are beyond our comprehension of seriousness, but to say a huge area like that is destroyed and you're wrong about it? IMO, that's just being irresponsible. The initial update should have NEVER been reported in the first place unless it was 100% certain and fact checked. There were way too many "oops" posts in this whole scenario and it just makes me doubt the legitimacy of the news more and more. And I already had like 0 faith in it.

Edited by robbalvey

If you are going to quote me, do so correctly. I stand by what I said in my previous post. MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE CONCEPTS.

I did, and you're not making any sense. If you want to make excuses for people who report that huge buildings and tourists attractions are destroyed without actually bothering to look at them to see if that's actually true then be my guest, but there's a reason basically nobody here agrees with you. That's completely irresponsible.

In my opinion though TEMA should never have to post an update like this.

I completely agree. Saying Ober Gatlinburg was destroyed and then being all "oops!" is like saying that Disneyland was destroyed, and then all "oops! Sorry." Like, how do you get that factoid wrong? Yes, it's a natural disaster and there are lots of things going on that are beyond our comprehension of seriousness, but to say a huge area like that is destroyed and you're wrong about it? IMO, that's just being irresponsible. The initial update should have NEVER been reported in the first place unless it was 100% certain and fact checked. There were way too many "oops" posts in this whole scenario and it just makes me doubt the legitimacy of the news more and more. And I already had like 0 faith in it.

What's even worse about this situation is that the guy who reported Ober was still standing was stuck up on the Mountain according to his interview on one of the news stations. He said the lower ober parking lot is actually one of the fire command centers with fire trucks stationed at it and he stayed there for the night! And that several other people had been stuck up there and stayed in the mall (the structure in question).. So obviously TEMA didn't get their information from the command center up at Ober! I mean, I'd hope they didn't get it from them anyways.. it's not like the lower parking lot is miles from their structure.

Thank you. I see exactly what you're talking about. So TEMA def made an incorrect call, then Ober corrected them, and then TEMA corrected the previously reported information - that's completely understandable and what should be expected in the early hours of a disaster of this enormous caliber.

For me, this has nothing to do with the state of journalism, as it was put. Journalists, who are humans, are operating off adrenaline, pressure, usually low personnel, and there will be mistakes made in reporting the early stages of any disaster, as I put it before. It aint the first time. I'm not going to believe anyone had ulterior motives in mind when they posted the wrong information...to the point where they need to be punished or blamed.

326155743_deweydefeatstruman.png.9613e1a8075972d5ea11fda3bb765d9e.png

Thank you. I see exactly what you're talking about. So TEMA def made an incorrect call, then Ober corrected them, and then TEMA corrected the previously reported information - that's completely understandable and what should be expected in the early hours of a disaster of this enormous caliber.

For me, this has nothing to do with the state of journalism, as it was put. Journalists, who are humans, are operating off adrenaline, pressure, usually low personnel, and there will be mistakes made in reporting the early stages of any disaster, as I put it before. It aint the first time. I'm not going to believe anyone had ulterior motives in mind when they posted the wrong information...to the point where they need to be punished or blamed.

Yeah, but if there is a command center with fire trucks stationed in the lower ober parking lot, they should have really confirmed with them first.. but maybe they were out of reach, I don't know.

I mean, I guess they could have been firetrucks only and no real people stationed there but that doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by dstephe9

I did, and you're not making any sense. If you want to make excuses for people who report that huge buildings and tourists attractions are destroyed without actually bothering to look at them to see if that's actually true then be my guest, but there's a reason basically nobody here agrees with you. That's completely irresponsible.

It's called "human error". It's a thing. it's understandable when people around you are dying in a river of heat and fire.

Yeah, but if there is a command center with fire trucks stationed in the lower ober parking lot, they should have really confirmed with them first.. but maybe they were out of reach, I don't know.

Thank you! Does anyone know without a shadow of doubt????

Journalists, who are humans, are operating off adrenaline, pressure, usually low personnel, and there will be mistakes made in reporting the early stages of any disaster, as I put it before.

For some reason I just can't get behind defending modern media. Especially since they're always so quick to criticize another career containing people who operate off adrenaline, pressure, and low personnel.

Thank you! Does anyone know without a shadow of doubt????

No, but that's the point.. TEMA shouldn't say it was destroyed until they knew without a shadow of doubt and they failed. Eitherway, its on both TEMA and the news for causing so much confusion.. Im just glad a lot of what we thought was gone is still around for us to enjoy

:lol: I give up. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

No, you're just talking to a complete idiot. You'd be better off talking to the wall.

Something tells me he may be in the journalism field... which would explain a lot.

Certainly not from the old school of journalism, where if you can't verify something you state your source and clearly identify the situation as hearsay or rumor and not fact.

No, you're just talking to a complete idiot. You'd be better off talking to the wall.

Something tells me he may be in the journalism field... which would explain a lot.

Certainly not from the old school of journalism, where if you can't verify something you state your source and clearly identify the situation as hearsay or rumor and not fact.

Sadly Larry, these days are gone!

Yes, but that kind of responsible writing is reserved for grade schoolers and high schoolers, not professionals who seemingly feel the need to report whatever sound the most sensational.