TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

So Hillbilly Golf was also only partially damaged and not completely destroyed. I'm sure it won't be quite as pretty with all the trees burnt up for awhile though.

And Arrowmont only lost two of the more-modern dorm buildings as opposed to the historical structures. Still really sucks, but as far as a cultural hit it's not as bad as I feared.

The loss of all those cabins will be a huge hit for the area though. That will affect everyone even if their businesses are still standing. Obviously they will rebuild, but it will take time.

I'm impressed that the firefighters were able to keep the town from completely burning. I mean the fire was literally nipping at all edges of the town. Must have been hell for awhile, and what would have happened without the rain?

Without the little raid we got Monday, I'm sure it would have been much worse, maybe even for Dollywood.. that rain at least gave the fire fighters an upper hand even if it wasn't enough to put the fire out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ok - I think this blaming stuff has gone on long enough. I suppose if you're not somehow affected by this personally, you have zero grasp of what has happened to this area. People have died, people are missing. 15 THOUSAND ACRES on fire in a matter of two to three hours, hurricane force winds, with only a few roads to escape for your life. There was no way possible for the media to cover every single event happening. This was a multi-faceted disaster. People want information as quickly as possible about loved ones, their homes and businesses. Can you blame them - NO! Was the coverage perfect - NO, of course not. I would never in a million years expect it to be. Eventually, the news will catch up with reality.

Last nights news on our nbc affiliate had reporters sent in from Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte and probably other places to help fill in the obvious gaps in coverage. As rupaul said recently - we are all a few blood sugars away from a psychotic episode - I will agree to that.

Must have been hell for awhile, and what would have happened without the rain?

that's such a scary thought. its pretty much over now though (i think. I'm sure theirs still embers or something) . It will be sad next time i go over to Dollywood and see so many trees that have become a crisp.

*Edit- Over (again i think) in that specific area. still fires all around here.

Edited by Gerstlauerguy

Without the little raid we got Monday, I'm sure it would have been much worse, maybe even for Dollywood.. that rain at least gave the fire fighters an upper hand even if it wasn't enough to put the fire out

Dollywood would be gone. thunderhead and lightning rod would be in ashes r n....without the rain.

Ok - I think this blaming stuff has gone on long enough. I suppose if you're not somehow affected by this personally, you have zero grasp of what has happened to this area. People have died, people are missing. 15 THOUSAND ACRES on fire in a matter of two to three hours, hurricane force winds, with only a few roads to escape for your life. There was no way possible for the media to cover every single event happening. This was a multi-faceted disaster. People want information as quickly as possible about loved ones, their homes and businesses. Can you blame them - NO! Was the coverage perfect - NO, of course not. I would never in a million years expect it to be. Eventually, the news will catch up with reality.

I'm sorry, no. Acting as if criticizing trusted sources of information for doing a horrendous job somehow means we don't understand the severity of the situation or feel sympathy for those involved is ridiculous. You can understand the severity of the situation, praise the firefighters, police, volunteers and all first responders for their heroic efforts and sympathize with everyone involved while still being critical of the fact that trusted news sources got just about everything wrong and reported things that were entirely wrong as fact. If you don't have quality sources for information then you don't report the story as fact. Period.

To be fair to the news agencies, it seems like they were getting a lot of this information from TEMA which really should have been credible so the blame may be more on them than the people who reported on what they were saying. TEMA has no obligation to rush to release information without verifying anything, they're not a news agency. It's not their job. The fact that people want information does not give them any obligation to provide it when they haven't verified their claims.

You can't excuse legitimate sources of information getting just about everything wrong just because people are desperate for information. People have been way too forgiving of complete bullsh*t being passed off as news lately.

I'm sorry, no. Acting as if criticizing trusted sources of information for doing a horrendous job somehow means we don't understand the severity of the situation or feel sympathy for those involved is ridiculous. You can understand the severity of the situation, praise the firefighters, police, volunteers and all first responders for their heroic efforts and sympathize with everyone involved while still being critical of the fact that trusted news sources got just about everything wrong and reported things that were entirely wrong as fact. If you don't have quality sources for information then you don't report the story as fact. Period.

To be fair to the news agencies, it seems like they were getting a lot of this information from TEMA which really should have been credible so the blame may be more on them than the people who reported on what they were saying. TEMA has no obligation to rush to release information without verifying anything, they're not a news agency. It's not their job. The fact that people want information does not give them any obligation to provide it when they haven't verified their claims.

You can't excuse legitimate sources of information getting just about everything wrong just because people are desperate for information. People have been way too forgiving of complete bullsh*t being passed off as news lately.

The concept of garbage news is one idea (which I understand and agree with), the covering of the fluidity of a natural disaster is a whole other thing.

Edited by coasterfreaky

I agree, like I posted earlier TEMA rushed a lot of their information it seems and TEMA should be a credible source.. but TEMA keeps saying they had gotten their info from the "field" so whoever that was, was also incorrect

The videos of this fire raging are so scary. Everything picked up so quickly and turned into hell on earth. It looks like 14,000 people have been displaced, and four deaths have been reported. What a nightmare. I hope the death toll doesn't climb anymore. I hope the area can rebuild swiftly and recover.

Dollywood would be gone. thunderhead and lightning rod would be in ashes r n....without the rain.

Lightning Rod getting burnt down would have been the cherry on top of 2016

The videos of this fire raging are so scary. Everything picked up so quickly and turned into hell on earth. It looks like 14,000 people have been displaced, and four deaths have been reported. What a nightmare. I hope the death toll doesn't climb anymore. I hope the area can rebuild swiftly and recover.

Lightning Rod getting burnt down would have been the cherry on top of 2016

Luckily everything is going into the off season so tourist wise, it'll give them time to rebuild.. I know the area is so much more than tourism BUT tourism is the biggest source of income in the area for both the city and residents.. it's very important so hopefully they can get everything back very quickly, if not, the damage this fire has done might last much longer.

I've been following this closely the last couple of days, mainly because we are planning a trip here next summer, and it's just been impossible to find out what really happened. "We don't have that information yet" is a perfectly acceptable answer, but everyone seems to have gone to great lengths to avoid saying that.

It is impossible to find out what really happened because...

A) this remains a fluid situation

B) People are dead and missing, Fires are still burning! HELLO!

C) There are not enough reporters to cover every story out there. Hillbilly Golf is not a priority at this time.

D) 15 Thousand Acres on fire and a few roads to escape.

E) "WAR ZONE" - "HELLSCAPE" - "RIVERS OF FIRE AND HEAT" - those are just some of the adjectives being used to describe this area.

Please, Tell me more about how assigning blame to the media or anyone else is helpful at this moment!

Yep. Also agree with this completely. If there is any lesson to be learned from this it's that TEMA, and any other state's emergency agencies should simply not report ANYTHING to any news agencies until they are sure what they are reporting is factual. It's the classic game of "telephone" and in today's technology that shouldn't even be an issue.

What I'm sure they have also learned is that the news outlets are ruthless and will post anything and everything to get ad views and website hits. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. And all that does it put people like the poor guys that operate the Gatlinburg Mystery Mansion through absolute HELL when they spend most of a day trying to figure out how to deal with their losses when it turns out it may not be true at all.

It is impossible to find out what really happened because...

A) this remains a fluid situation

Then say that and don't list things as "confirmed" that you didn't confirm when you're supposed to be a trusted source of information.

B) People are dead and missing, Fires are still burning! HELLO!

Hello to you too! This has nothing to do with trusted agencies reporting on things that they can't confirm and passing the stories off as confirmed.

Hillbilly Golf is not a priority at this time.

Then don't report on Hillbilly Golf.

D) 15 Thousand Acres on fire and a few roads to escape.

This has nothing to do with trusted agencies reporting on things that they can't confirm and passing the stories off as confirmed.

E) "WAR ZONE" - "HELLSCAPE"... ...those are just some of the adjectives being used to describe this area.

They're also some adjectives that should be used to describe the current state of American journalism.

There will always be misinformation surrounding the early hours of every disaster. That is just the way it goes. How long did it take to figure out the events of 9/11, or the Ohio state shooting last week, for example. It is a by-product of 24/7 news cycles, and internet news and the immediate need to know.

I agree on the points about TEMA, but do we know EXACTLY what they said and/or reported? I haven't seen it, but like you all, I've heard the same things that were attributed to TEMA - that Ober was reportedly destroyed, and so on. If we don't know exactly what they've said, and are going on bits of news reported in the early stages, then that has no value in my opinion.

The fact remains that much assistance is needed at this time and assigning blame is not a helpful act. And I completely agree with what Robb, and others have said in this thread about "garbage news" - deal with its frustrations every single day. However, those are two mutually exclusive concepts. This "situation" that we're dealing with here has zero to do with the "State of American Journalism" lol.

TEMA posted on their site about Ober being destroyed and that post now says "update" so yea they reported it incorrectly on their official news feed.. that's where the ober stuff came from.. again, the original post is now gone but says post updated because of the video that surfaced

It is a by-product of 24/7 news cycles, and internet news and the immediate need to know.

This "situation" that we're dealing with here has zero to do with the "State of American Journalism"

Make up your mind. These are direct contradictions.

And in response to the idea that we should excuse trusted news agencies and government organizations for their royal f**k ups because these royal f**k ups have become commonplace, no.

The fact remains that much assistance is needed at this time and assigning blame is not a helpful act.

Assigning blame... Similar to how the Media harmlessly assigns blame before all of the facts are out on a consistent basis. And by harmlessly, I mean causing cities to break out in riots based on unreliable information, half truths, and speculation. None of this is new.