TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Does anyone have any insight as to why the Waltzing Swinger has been dismantled? It would be my guess that it is being sent off for restoration, but I know nothing on the subject.

Did anyone riding the Dollywood Express, or who went to Country Fair this weekend notice the status of the Waltzing Swinger? It is still setting there in pieces?

Reading IG posts and another girls phone flew out of her back pocket and went all the way to the back and someone caught it. People don't take the airtime and phone thing seriously then complain when they have their phones slung from their pockets. Anyway, according to the app the coaster opened right with the park.

I was there tonight, never got in line for LR but went to check on it... Got a few night rides in on Wild Eagle and saw the "It's a wonderful life" show.. will be back later this week probably, hopefully LR has a shorter line..

I wonder why they keep blocking off rows? I wonder if it's for the same reason fire chaser does it when it's wet outside?? Basically fire chaser does it because of the launch wheels slipping when it's wet but I wonder if LR does it for the tires that move the coaster around in the station and that move it out of the station to the launch?

Just a theory

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've had the chance to ride Lightning Rod during the day at least 10 times this year, but this was my first night ride and it is a game changer. WOW you can't see anything and it's awesome! Me and my daughter got 2 rides in on roll 3 and 7! The coaster was very smooth with no pothole or anything. They did run both trains empty one time around right before we got on. The ride attendant said maintenance wants that done every two hours. Fingers crossed that they have everything worked out.

IMG_3814.thumb.PNG.49b0b685ab750386755dd6503346d908.PNG

IMG_3815.thumb.PNG.d2dcc67b2430534a3c91488621dadb63.PNG

Does anyone know why Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg hotels are all full this weekend? I've been visiting for nearly 20 years during every season and I've never had a difficult time making reservations until this year. If the hotels are any indication, Dollywood could be packed this weekend. Nearly every hotel is full for Friday and Saturday night. As a frequent visitor I've never seen this before.

Does anyone know why Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg hotels are all full this weekend? I've been visiting for nearly 20 years during every season and I've never had a difficult time making reservations until this year. If the hotels are any indication, Dollywood could be packed this weekend. Nearly every hotel is full for Friday and Saturday night. As a frequent visitor I've never seen this before.

Winterfest begins this week in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Dollywood's Xmas event has started up as well. Fall foliage looks like it might be peaking this weekend too, which is always a big draw.

You might want to check the Newport area, or Knoxville area hotels as well....or Townsend, Maryville are good alternatives. Have you checked into renting a cabin instead of a hotel? You may have better luck with that. Also, airbnb and VRBO might be helpful. good luck.

Yikes, for anyone who has been there this is quite a surprise with how many hotels are in the area. Luckily even if the park is super busy the rides usually don't have too bad of waits. Last year I believe I had to park in splash country because everything else was full and the coasters were still reasonable. I'll be there all week, Thursday and Saturday is the days I'll be at the park all day. I can't recommend their time saver enough. It is well worth the 30 (?) bucks per person. Hopefully it hasn't gone up. I can't wait to be down there!!!! Leaving tonight.

That's really interesting. There is a 5k at Dollywood on Friday that could be contributing to crowds, but I doubt it.

I finally found a hotel room in Sevierville after hours of calling and searching. Nearly every hotel is full. If you go to TripAdvisor and put in Fri&Sat you will see page after page of no vacancies. The hotels are full all the way out to Interstate 40. I normally stick to TripAdvisor's Top 10 but there is literally no availability in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. I'm running the 5k Friday night at the park and seeing Dolly in concert on Tuesday. It also looks like a UT game Saturday in Knoxville. Does a game in Knoxville normally fill up PF/Gatlinburg?

Did you try calling Mountain Heritage Inn in Gatlinburg by chance? I called them a couple days ago and was able to add on Friday night (I already had Saturday night booked), so maybe they still have vacancies. $59.95+plus tax per night for the room - very good quality and location for the price; I've stayed there a few times before.

Edited by BrianGC

I finally found a hotel room in Sevierville after hours of calling and searching. ... It also looks like a UT game Saturday in Knoxville. Does a game in Knoxville normally fill up PF/Gatlinburg?

It can have an effect, but it shouldn't sell out hotels on a usual football weekend. UT plays Kentucky, so maybe lots of Kentucky fans are headed down for the game. KY is playing 'fairly' well this year...usually they suck at football.

When hotels get near capacity. They have a way of blocking out 3rd party booking websites to prevent overbooking. I have a room booked for Thursday night and called the hotel directly for Friday night.

I have been there on days when the crowds are parking in Splash Country. Typically the rides aren't that bad of a wait but the shows fill up fast. IF you want to catch a few shows I would recommend the flash pass. I missed out on Smoky Mountain Christmas cause it filled up on me last year.

When hotels get near capacity. They have a way of blocking out 3rd party booking websites to prevent overbooking. I have a room booked for Thursday night and called the hotel directly for Friday night.

I have been there on days when the crowds are parking in Splash Country. Typically the rides aren't that bad of a wait but the shows fill up fast. IF you want to catch a few shows I would recommend the flash pass. I missed out on Smoky Mountain Christmas cause it filled up on me last year.

This..

I know last year when I booked Disney for New Years, no hotels had anything listed on Hotels.com (my normal site BC of rewards) but Disney had plenty of rooms directly..

Same for six flags in Atlanta, rooms seem to disappear Wed or Thurs for that weekend fr hotels.com but the Wingate beside the park always has some when I call directly

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It works both ways. I think third party sites get a pool of rooms that they can sell. I've seen the hotel web site sold out whereas I was able to book on Hotels.com.

Anyway, just one more week until we're back in the Smokies!

The brand I worked for didn't have a pool of rooms 3rd party websites can sell. Typically they sold the rooms and we would pay them a commission as if they were a travel agent. When you see a Hotel Website Sold OUt but the third party site is not, that means the Hotel didn't block out the third party sire from booking more rooms and the hotel just got overbooked. Third party sites can not see availability like a Hotel site can. Personally, I never use 3rd party sites anymore.

But back to the discussion.... I am glad to see LR running as it should finally and just in time for the Christmas crowds. I am excited about my first night ride on it. I was lucky enough to get a night ride on Voyage this fall and it was a game changer. So I am sure the same will be true with LR. I am guessing we wont see much construction happening for the two new rides since they should be a quick installation in the off season. I'm excited about the views from on top of the tower. I wish WE would hold ou at the top for a few so you have time to enjoy the views. Minus the Bees.

^ I agree with you that the new rides can be easily installed through the short off-season Dollywood has, so why the summer 2017 thing? My best guess is that it's just a bit of percaution due to the LR issues, or even better, the entire area is gonna get a major theme upgrade and could potentially be closed off for the first part of next season. It could easily be blocked off without closing the back pathway or Thunderhead's entrance (assuming the kiddie coaster is gonna go where the playground is). However if they were to use this opportunity to keep Thunderhead closed for a while to smooth out the precious ol' girl a bit with some re-tracking (and possibly add it's version of the wasp repellent roof to the lift hill, "i personally think a full tunnel drop like Goldstriker's would fit Thunderhead beautifully") people wouldn't mind in the long run. Whatever may be the case, i think Dollywood is on point with the year after year additions they've be giving us. Let's hope this trend keeps going the way it is,