TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but the banner on the top of Dollywood's website that stated "Lightning Rod is closed today" is not on the website anymore. The optimist in me hopes that it is because it is set to open back up this Saturday. I am going to be going to the park next Thursday-Sunday and hoping I can get a ride in after gandering at its beauty in March.

^^^I hope so. I think we are going to head up tomorrow. We are definitely going to check out this year's Christmas festival as it starts tomorrow. Would not mind to get another night ride or two on Lightning Rod. From what I can tell, the orange banner indicating Lightning Rod's closure has been removed as of yesterday. Regardless of whether it is open or not looking forward to the revamped "Christmas in the Smokies" and the new show, "Its a Wonderful Life."

Well Christmas is one of the busiest times of the year for Dollywood so I am sure they want it up and running!

I remember last year, they broke one of their attendance records during the Christmas festival (that record was broke again early this season) but I'm sure there is the possibility of breaking it yet again if LR is open and running plus all the new Christmas activities

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned going around thanksgiving on here and I just wanted to mention, the park may be extra crowded that day because they're having a Christmas if Many Colors Red Carpet premier, and my best guess is the cast is going to be there including Dolly.

yea i saw on their website shed be there.

no shed be at kings island

I laughed way to hard at this.

Random question, but does Dollywood usually put on the site when Dolly will be in the park, or is more of just like a "Surprise shes here!!!" kind of thing??

Dollywood typically does not post when she visits. I think most of the time its on her webpage. Typically shes only there 3ish times a year. Season Opening for Festival of Nations, Homecoming Parade, Charity Concert, and debut of a new movie (as in the case this year). When she is there, the crowd looks like Minions going from place to place to see her "drop"in on a show. Been there a few times she was there but never got caught up in it.

I'm going on thursday to meet my parents there. I am hoping LR is running so they can experience the goodness.

I saw her this year for the season opening.. rainy day! For the parade she basically jsut made an appearance for the news and then ducted out of it at the first turn.. a lot of people didn't even know she was in it.. the parade also started early that day to beat the rain and like I said, she didn't finish it.. not a big deal for me. crowds were very lite but people were trying to find her everywhere.. I believe that day she only opened LR (it wasn't really an opening as we all know) and then did the parade and nothing else.

She has her little dolly car she rides around in and that's what she was in when u saw her.

I was actually trying to leave the park when I saw her.. They had everything blocked off for the parade and I couldn't get out ha-ha.

Edited by dstephe9

The whole cast of the movie is going to be there this round as well as Dolly so you have to account for that. Two other big names, Jennifer Nettles and Ricky Schroeder. I'm sure the day will consist of media events for the cast and people in the park trying to get a glimpse of the cast. Maybe Dolly will make an appearance in the Parade of Many colors that evening? Who knows. It's best to go earlier than later this time of year if you're interested in coasters though because weather in the smokies is so unpredictable. It can go from mid 60's to 20's in December in the blink of an eye. So ride what you wanna ride while you have warmth.

Someone mentioned going around thanksgiving on here and I just wanted to mention, the park may be extra crowded that day because they're having a Christmas if Many Colors Red Carpet premier, and my best guess is the cast is going to be there including Dolly.

Dunno about the red carpet premier on the 22nd, but she has a Concert on the 15th in Pigeon Forge.

That gets her in the area to be in the parade premier on the 16th. She'll probably appear at all of the new Christmas shows too.

She's usually there for the start of anything new.

Just got off my 12th ride on this beautiful creation. No "jolt" felt, smoothest ride I've taken on it.

Maybe they fixed the bump while it was down? Hope so, rode it when they first got it going and didn't notice it but was there a few weeks ago and it was getting bad. Last row would hit you pretty hard, little less closer to the front you got.

Are they still only running one train? Out of curiosity, how are crowds today?

We were on 2nd train this morning and it's running fast Still running only one train. Crowds were light but are now building as the afternoon goes.

Yes, only one train is running today. Crowds are fairly heavy, but many seem to be here for the shows, ride lines are not terrible. Lots of people seem to be coming through the gates still. Thinking crowds will definitely become thicker as it gets dark. Crossing my fingers that they will announce they are extending park hours for 1 hour. Dollywood tends to do that when crowds are heavy.

In my experience, if the lines for the rides and stuff don't back up then they won't extend the park hours.. They really only do that if the ride lines get really bad and people are missing rides, shows, and even food due to the lines..

But from the looks of it, rides are starting to back up so they may end up extending hours

Everything has a fairly long wait except for poor thunderhead.. it is almost always a walk-on now days I even remember having to wait in line for it for 15+ minutes in the past

That's good news, first time they have ran both trains in a while.. kind of concerning they took this long to add the second train.. makes you wonder why they are so apprehensive to run two trains on it. I mean wait times look over an hour for most of the day.. other rides at the park would have been running all trains at about a 15 minute wait ha-ha

^^They probably wanted to see how the ride would react to the assumed new programming before they wasted their time putting the second train on. Remember they said they'd rather just keep the ride down instead of having it break down constantly.