TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I would like to clarify there are two separate systems involved on Lightning Rod. There is the launching system and the ride control system. Both systems involve their own PLCs and sensor networks. As of a call last week, we were told there are no issues with our portion of the ride and there have not been since the ride originally opened to the public. Further we were praised by the park on the performance of our system over the season. As we at Irvine Ondrey Engineering designed the ride control system, we are in regular contact with park maintenance regarding anything we can do to assist in any issues. It is important to us that we are known for our quality and reliability of our control systems, and we are happy to work with any park on issues they may be having.

-Brian Ondrey

President

Irvine Ondrey Engineering

I'm sure the insightful posts from direct sources will be argued by someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night shortly....

To be fair, IOE is the only source that's actually verifiable, though personally I do tend to believe the others. Oh, and speaking of IOE... go like them on Facebook if you haven't already. They're far more fun than any company that builds control panels for a living has any right to be and for some reason have a complete love affair with Top Thrill Dragster and they're not afraid to show it.

I'm sure the insightful posts from direct sources will be argued by someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night shortly....

To be fair, IOE is the only source that's actually verifiable, though personally I do tend to believe the others. Oh, and speaking of IOE... go like them on Facebook if you haven't already. They're far more fun than any company that builds control panels for a living has any right to be and for some reason have a complete love affair with Top Thrill Dragster and they're not afraid to show it.

Thanks for the nice post! We are firm believers in keeping the job fun as we work in an amazing industry. Being a fan of TTD keeps our CEO happy and also is a very good idea when she is also your wife.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence from the other poster as we strive to make our systems the most reliable and user friendly out there!

-Brian

How are y'all gonna trust this guy when he can't spell the name of the ride!?

Lighting Rod

Lightening Rod

Lightening Rod

Lightening Rod

Lighting Rod

Just messing man, thanks for the info

How long did it take to quote the spelling errors from that long of a post

Anyway, thanks for the information, dollywoodmech2!

How are y'all gonna trust this guy when he can't spell the name of the ride!?

Lighting Rod

Lightening Rod

Lightening Rod

Lightening Rod

Lighting Rod

Just messing man, thanks for the info

How long did it take to quote the spelling errors from that long of a post

Anyway, thanks for the information, dollywoodmech2!

Actually it validates him as a maintenance worker. As a maintenance worker in a LARGE factory, we don't care about no grammar or spelling. Just get the thing running. But thanks for taking the time to write that. What you stated and what IOE wrote. It just validates the point!

And dont forget to get Danny his Coke

Thanks for the nice post! We are firm believers in keeping the job fun as we work in an amazing industry. Being a fan of TTD keeps our CEO happy and also is a very good idea when she is also your wife.

I must admit, I'm a little confused as to whether you're married to the CEO or TTD.

But seriously, it's great to hear from someone with some knowledge.

Thanks for the info from both IOE and dollywoodmech. I know Dollywoodmech isn't verifiable but I also believe him and I understand non disclosure agreements..

Both post had a lot of great info..

Man though, on another point, I bet Dollywood wishes they were open this week! Beautiful week here on the area and the Mountains are still super packed! I was up there this afternoon, after my trip to Zoo Knoxville today.. I would have loved to been at Dollywood but it's always nice to get out and see nature as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My initial thought was the "potholes" being track related, but it sounds like it won't get fixed anytime soon. Anyways thanks for the great info dollywoodmech!

I was reading a facebook comment earlier regarding LR and someone replied saying "Oh you won't miss much, the ride is extremely rough for a new ride..." and another reply said something similar. I was just sitting there thinking in my head, "Did the potholes get you?" My guess is they likely got force/intensity mixed up with roughness. Honestly who knows. Although this has been discussed before, LR seems unusually rough for a new RMC, let alone a new coaster. Personally I didn't find it rough other than those two spots.

Again thanks to Dollywoodmech (although we can't verify) but also thanks to IOE for the great info!

Thanks, Dollywoodmech! Very much appreciated. Looking forward to visiting Dollywood for the first time with my family next year (already booked the DreamMore Resort!). With or without Lightning Rod, I know it will be a great time, but I appreciate hearing about the work that's going into getting the new ride running.

Silver Dollar City is my local park, so I've seen your colleagues over here work hard to get Outlaw Run going. That ride was iffy at first as to whether it'd be open, but now that's it's been almost 4 full seasons, they've got it down. New machines that do things no machine has ever done inherently have some issues. You're solving problems no one has ever had to solve before, and that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. Thanks again for allowing us to see into your world.

I'm curious to know more about this "pothole" and "jolt" that people are mentioning, and whether or not it's a new development. I went in July and rode Lightning Rod five times (twice in the front, twice in the back, once in the middle) and not once do I recall ever feeling a jolt in the track. Perhaps there has been some deformation of the track in that particular section?

Also, whoever thinks Lightning Rod is rough needs to ride a Vekoma SLC...

The jolt was there before July but I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.. some seats you can feel it much worse.. I mean it's just that, it feels like your car is hitting a small pothole not like a huge rattle.. the way some people talk about it on here makes you think it feels like the ride is falling apart ha-ha

It has also been said it doesn't feel as bad on one of the trains but I have always felt it.. most times when visiting though, only one train has been running

Anyone else get the email titled "renew now and get 3 bring a friend tickets"

In the email it just says renew now and bring a friend this Christmas.. click here for more details

When I click it just goes to the ticket order page and says the same thing.. NOTHING about 3 tickets..

If love to renew now and get 3 tickets per pass to bring a friend if the 3 part is true! Any idea, anyone try it yet? I called Dollywood and the wait time was long

Nothing except the title of the email mentions 3 bring a friend tickets. I'm afraid the three part might be a typo lol

Anyone else get the email titled "renew now and get 3 bring a friend tickets"

In the email it just says renew now and bring a friend this Christmas.. click here for more details

When I click it just goes to the ticket order page and says the same thing.. NOTHING about 3 tickets..

It's there. Look down in the pass info, past the prices.

Exclusive 2016 Christmas Bring-A-Friend pass

2017 spring and fall Bring-A-Friend passes

That's 3, just they are valid for different time periods. Notice, none are for Summer.

(I'd have to look up my stuff form last year to get the approximate dates.

After Nov 22 you no longer get the Christmas 2016 BAF.

The SuperPass adds a BAF for the water park.

EDIT: last year only one BAF for the park, was good Apr 20 - May 20.

The BAF for Splash was good through May 21-Jun 10

I didn't notice then, but I don't see the BAF for Christmas even though I ordered before the cutoff date.

I've never been able to use them anyway

Edited by STDog

Cool thanks, yeah I saw it on desktop shortly after I posted this but never came back to update.. it wasn't on the mobile site earlier today but looks like it is now.

Pretty good deal if you plan on bringing friends! I still wish they would include a summer day! Six Flags Usually has a summer bring a friend day

Cool thanks, yeah I saw it on desktop shortly after I posted this but never came back to update.. it wasn't on the mobile site earlier today but looks like it is now.

Pretty good deal if you plan on bringing friends!

Being 5 hours away, trips are usually more than one day, and seldom during the period the BAF tickets are good for.

I wonder if they are tied to a specific pass or group of passes?

They say non-transferable, and they are coded, but only the order number ties them together.

Nothings says a particular one goes with a particular pass.

I'd be happy to give mine away (as they never get used) to another pass holder, but I don't know if they would work.

I had luck giving one to a friend who had a pass in the past and it worked fine.. they did check for a season pass holder to be present though.. It was so my Stepmom could go with her sister (the sister was the pass holder but didn't renew in time to get a ticket) This was a few years ago so no idea if they are linked now or not.. I usually don't get to use them but always try to get them, just to have them. One year, my old roommate even helped pay for my season pass so he could have the friend ticket because it saved him money! It was his idea, not mine but I know your not supposed to sale it

Drop Line at Dollywood

New in Summer 2017, Drop Line is a 200-foot tall free-fall experience that towers over Timber Canyon and provides an incredible view of the park before its exhilarating finish. The drop tower ride lifts Dollywood guests nearly 20 stories above the Canyon’s pool, before plummeting them back to the ground in a thrilling rush.

I know I am late to the party, but I am super excited about the addition of a 200ft tall drop tower at Dollywood. Now I can't wait for our visit next year even more!!

Someone mentioned going around thanksgiving on here and I just wanted to mention, the park may be extra crowded that day because they're having a Christmas if Many Colors Red Carpet premier, and my best guess is the cast is going to be there including Dolly.

yea i saw on their website shed be there.

Someone mentioned going around thanksgiving on here and I just wanted to mention, the park may be extra crowded that day because they're having a Christmas if Many Colors Red Carpet premier, and my best guess is the cast is going to be there including Dolly.

no shed be at kings island

no shed be at kings island

I laughed way to hard at this.

Random question, but does Dollywood usually put on the site when Dolly will be in the park, or is more of just like a "Surprise shes here!!!" kind of thing??