TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Pete Owens confirmed it is a Zamperla Gravity Coaster.

But will it be the standard model? RCDB lists at least one coaster with that ride system that has a custom layout.

aadolva

Personally, I expect it to be a clone of Grand Exposition Coaster at SDC (which I assume is a clone as well).

Pete Owens confirmed it is a Zamperla Gravity Coaster.

But will it be the standard model? RCDB lists at least one coaster with that ride system that has a custom layout.

aadolva

Personally, I expect it to be a clone of Grand Exposition Coaster at SDC (which I assume is a clone as well).

In a nutshell, Sideshow Spin is that already. Dollywood has stated that every new ride they add will have an extensive theme to it. It may just be a kiddie coaster, but it'll be a kiddie coaster with a strong theme, fun stuff imo. Since they surprised us with this phenomenal announcement in such a random fashion, one visiting Dollywood next year could find Timber Canyon completely unrecognizable. Not just because of the two new rides, but it might just get a whole makeover. When LR was announced, there was no mention of the surrounding upgrades to Jukebox Junction until very close to the planned debut. The fact that they say summer 2017 leads me to believe that alot more of that area will be changed other then just throwing in a drop tower and a kiddie coaster.

I expect them to remove the Lil Loggers Landing and Beaver Creek Boat Float to put this coaster in that area. That's the only available space they have up in Timber Canyon.

I hope not. Playgrounds are already scarce enough in U.S. theme parks.

Hopefully they change it up from sideshow spin if hate to see two nearly identical rides even if one was themed a little better ha-ha.. and sideshow spin is great in the fair area, it has that fair coaster feel to it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Props to Dollywood for continuously improving the park. While I don’t consider my family to be a ‘theme park family’ per se, we did see the advertisement for Lightning Rod and were intrigued. We booked a trip in the summer, traveled seven hours, stayed at the very nice DreamMore resort, and spent 3 fun days between Dollywood and Splash Country.

Without interviewing guests, I would guess its very hard to get reliable data on what impact a new ride has on attendance. But my experience would be one where the new ride ‘pulled’ in an audience who otherwise would not plan a trip to Dollywood. Based on our experience (nice accommodations, great service, overall fun time at the park) we plan on making the seven hour trip every summer. In fact, we’ve turned into promoters, which has to be music to any executive’s ears who tracks NPS.

Tailspin Racer will become Splash Country’s tallest attraction next year, and will allow guests to race each other side by side.

Trying figure out how a 5 story slide is the tallest. Fire Tower Falls is 70ft.

Maybe it has to do with where it is in the park. Like if it's built on elevated land that would make it taller.

Hopefully they change it up from sideshow spin if hate to see two nearly identical rides even if one was themed a little better ha-ha.. and sideshow spin is great in the fair area, it has that fair coaster feel to it

I submit Lucky's Dizzy Dogs as proof that they are totally down for putting the same ride in two different areas of the park and just theming it differently.

Tailspin Racer will become Splash Country’s tallest attraction next year, and will allow guests to race each other side by side.

Trying figure out how a 5 story slide is the tallest. Fire Tower Falls is 70ft.

Maybe it has to do with where it is in the park. Like if it's built on elevated land that would make it taller.

Then Fire Tower Falls wouldn't be the current tallest. Several rides have a higher elevation (above sea level)

So I haven't been paying much attention but apparently Lightning Rod is down and having issues again? Can any of our more locals/regulars confirm more than just what the website says?

I have a friend that just returned within the last couple of weeks. He said it was down most of the day when he was there.

When it opened back up and was able to ride, he took a seat as a single rider. One of the ride ops sat down next to him. He asked why she was riding and she indicated they have to ride every couple of hours to make sure everything "feels right."

She also told him the seat belt on the row in front of them wouldn't fasten and they have been having issues with it all day.

This sounds odd to me as I don't understand how a row of seat belts not working in one train would cause massive shut downs unless it is an issue they have had with all of the seats at one time or another.

This may be totally unrelated but thought I would share.

Yes, it has been up and down all summer, even after the official opening.. I visit a lot, sometimes multiple times a week.. downtime during the week, during my visits has been over 50%.. downtime on weekend has been much less and it is open about 90% of the time.. a little over a week ago it went down and hasn't came back up.. no idea what the issues are just the rumors about sensors, trains, ect but it is down and closed

So I haven't been paying much attention but apparently Lightning Rod is down and having issues again? Can any of our more locals/regulars confirm more than just what the website says?

I have a friend that just returned within the last couple of weeks. He said it was down most of the day when he was there.

When it opened back up and was able to ride, he took a seat as a single rider. One of the ride ops sat down next to him. He asked why she was riding and she indicated they have to ride every couple of hours to make sure everything "feels right."

She also told him the seat belt on the row in front of them wouldn't fasten and they have been having issues with it all day.

This sounds odd to me as I don't understand how a row of seat belts not working in one train would cause massive shut downs unless it is an issue they have had with all of the seats at one time or another.

This may be totally unrelated but thought I would share.

Not saying she was right or wrong but here is how a seatbelt can cause a train not to move..

The seatbelt issue, if true, could keep the the software that operates the train from allowing it to go at all.. even if it's just one seat, the seatbelt sensor (if there is one) is probably telling the train it can't leave the station, thus why the entire train is down.. if they give ride ops overrides, then there could be serious liability issues I'd imagine.. but, again, it's hard to believe anything you hear even if the park tells you..

I believe LR seatbelts use a Tatical style buckle though (same buckle my tatical click belt has) so probably doesn't have a sensor. And honestly I really don't see how that buckle could cause issues unless someone didn't know how to work it lol

And that is pretty standard for ride ops to ride every few hours to check out the ride.. some parks even close the rides every few hours for the "safety inspection" and that's when an op rides to see if everything feels ok.. I wouldn't look to much into that, sound standard to me

Edited by dstephe9

I forget how technological these coasters are now. [emoji38]

Yes and in my opinion, this is what is causing all the issues.. a ride as advanced as LR has thousands of sensors I bet.. I personally don't believe the launch is acting up, I don't believe there are major issues with LR.. I am on the side of the fence that believes LR is having software and sensor issues.. even (I believe it was Pete from the park, I could be wrong, it might have been their head maintenance guy) said in an early interview that they are having some sensor issues.. this was earlier in the season but I personally believe they still have them..

Again, I have heard nothing official Like any of us here, this are just my thoughts on LR

The seat belts on RMC trains do not have sensors and are not tied to the controls.

Yup, I edited my response so that it didn't really apply to LR.. I was just letting the OP know how one seatbelt might keep a train from moving on a coaster