TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Very exciting additions! Can't wait to renew our passes for next year. Finally a drop tower in Timber Tower's old spot (assuming that's correct)!

Regarding Lightning Rod, I saw on Facebook that someone this past Monday was at Dollywood and was told that LR is down due to computer issues.

LR was down all last week too. I asked a lady in the merch shop and she didnt know. And operations where dreadfully slow for a Saturday.

In case anyone is still confused on the manufacturer, Ride Entertainment just posted that they sold it on FB. They're the broker for Funtime in the US.

And they have a good video on Facebook of one in Action!

https://www.facebook.com/RideEntertainment/

Looks like an awesome drop tower!

(This one is over 300ft tall though)

I am all for the lighting package on this.

Wooden Warrior always got such great reviews it's amazing nobody else has built a "junior" wooden coaster. Maybe a version of that is what this will be.

That would look and fit the theme of the area perfectly if that's what they go with.. also a nice gentle ride for adults even..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In case anyone is still confused on the manufacturer, Ride Entertainment just posted that they sold it on FB. They're the broker for Funtime in the US.

And they have a good video on Facebook of one in Action!

https://www.facebook.com/RideEntertainment/

Looks like an awesome drop tower!

(This one is over 300ft tall though)

I am all for the lighting package on this.

I think all funtime rides have a great lighting package! Now that they are dealing with funtime, anyone think we will ever get a giant swing? Maybe that's why they are taking the swing apart in the fair area! Ha-ha jk but would be nice

Now the only question is, will Dollywood request them to remove the lighting package due to the theming of the area?

here's the local NBC affiliate's story...

New rides & shows coming to Dollywood next year

link to WBIR story

Dollywood has some new stuff in store for 2017, including new rides and shows, focused on family fun.

“We have something for everyone, but even more important, we have something for you AND your family. We’re adding so much this year; I’m calling 2017 ‘the year of the family!’” said Dolly Parton.

A 200-foot free-fall ride called Drop Line headlines the new attractions. The ride lifts Dollywood guests nearly 20 stories above Timber Canyon before dropping them back to the ground in a thrilling rush, according to the park’s website. The ride will offer some great views along with the rush!

Dollywood will also add Whistle Punk Chaser, which is a new junior coaster. The park’s website said Whistle Punk Chaser will help prepare younger riders for the Thunderhead wooden coaster.

“As everybody already knows, family is very important to me,” Dolly Parton explained. “These days, there doesn’t seem to be enough time for families to be together, whether you’re a just a couple like me and Carl or you have 12 kids like my family did growing up. That’s why we continue to add all these new rides and shows for families to experience together.In 2017," said Dolly.

Dollywood will also introduce two new entertainment events.

Enra Is a Toyko-based dance company featured on NBC’s America’s Got Talent in 2015. The group features a dance, light and video fusion show. They'll be at the park just in time for Spring Break.

In October, a new addition to the Harvest Festival will "immerse families in fabulous fall pumpkin illumination." In addition to the GREAT! Pumpkin LumiNights, there will also be a pumpkin trail that will light up after dark with lighted pumpkin displays. All of this will be in conjunction with the Southern Gospel Jubilee.

“We are really excited about adding the GREAT! Pumpkin LumiNights to our Harvest event,” Gene Scherrer, Dollywood Vice-President and General Manager said. “We’ve created a number of impressive displays that will light up the night and allow us to add some new experiences for families to enjoy the fun of fall in a uniquely Dollywood way.”

Splash Country will also offer a new thrill ride. In August, park officials announced the addition of Tailspin Racer, which will feature a five-story waterslide longer than a football field. Tailspin Racer will become Splash Country’s tallest attraction next year, and will allow guests to race each other side by side.

What will DW Fans fixate on now with the drop tower idea finally taken care of?

I might of mentioned it a few times. My fixation will now transfer to them adding the shooting dark ride.

Mine to! Six Flags is getting theirs so when will we get ours ha-ha

Did your Flooded Mine ever have the Great Shoot Out overlay?

I can't remember, I was little when we had flooded mine and mostly thought it was real so never liked riding it lol.. but I did hear rumor a few years ago about a new flooded mine ride.. it would be a cool shootout but I'm sure Dollywood has something against shooting at people.. The survey was shooting at chickens or something but I find that cheesy.. who knows if we will ever get one and what it'll be of

Unfortunately Dollywood can't do superheroes like six flags or buzz lightyear like Disney.. stuff that's far enough from real that it doesn't matter what you shoot at

The Flooded Mine at SDC just has you shoot at targets, with guns that look like Colt revolvers. They're family friendly, but they aren't shy about guns.

Every park needs a dark ride. I thought it odd when I heard that Dollywood had removed theirs. Hopefully you do get a new one soon.

Targets would work! Rumor has it, a dark ride might go in behind the old mine sometime and they have had a sign up all season that says "it all started here" it would be a good location for a redo of the flooded mine with targets but if they do build a new dark ride in the future, I'd imagine it being something else but who knows!

With today's announcement, I'm curious if we will get something big in 2018 or if they will push it back further.. I'd bet money that our next huge attraction will be a dark ride.. the question is just when

It didn't.

The best place for the shooting dark ride would be in the old 4D theater spot. I know they have a show there now but the infrastructure is probably close to what would be needed for that type of an attraction.

It didn't.

The best place for the shooting dark ride would be in the old 4D theater spot. I know they have a show there now but the infrastructure is probably close to what would be needed for that type of an attraction.

Thanks! Yeah, I can see why they'd remove it then. I remember the old Flooded Mine fondly, but realistically, the interactivity was essential to its longevity. Even now it looks really dated, and I mostly ride it for nostalgia. A really modern dark ride would be fantastic, and with SDC's and Dollywood's core audience would be a perfect fit.

I'm interested in this drop tower. It totally fits with HFE's MO to go with "none of the above" to make the new ride. I like their Starflyers; I'm not sure if they've made any other drop towers, but I'm looking forward to it.

I truly hope it ends up being a wooden junior coaster, something like a Woodstock Express would be a real treat for the youngsters at the park. However if it's just some common steel kiddie coaster, i'm perfectly fine with that too. It will still be an excellent addition to the park (i mean, i was completely content with just getting the Splash Country slide). This was a total surprise for all of us, and i don't think there's any thing wrong with a family park having two run of the mill kiddie coasters (if that's what it turns out to be). Either way, Dollywood's finally gonna have us a drop tower!!! Let's all rejoice and be thankful that this wish was granted. If i have one minor nit-pick, it's that i don't like that they are using the word "chaser" in two coasters but whatever, it doesn't matter. Thank You Dollywood!

EDIT: What the coaster is got posted before i finished my post haha. The principle of what i was saying still holds true, and this coaster will be a welcome addition to the park.

^ i was was wondering the same thing, i hope not though. Keep them both, why not? If they revamp the country fair area at some point, it takes up less space than most traditional carnival rides. They could find somewhere to put it. (If you haven't rode it, it's a somewhat forceful little kiddie coaster) No need to scrap it unless it just truly has ran it's course. (no pun intended)

Edited by mordecai-75

I wonder if by them adding this new kiddie coaster that Sideshow Spin will be on the chopping block in the next few years.

I doubt it. It serves a different purpose being in another area of the park. DW does an awesome job strategically placing things for the kids to do near the big rides.

I wonder if by them adding this new kiddie coaster that Sideshow Spin will be on the chopping block in the next few years.

I doubt it. It serves a different purpose being in another area of the park. DW does an awesome job strategically placing things for the kids to do near the big rides.

I certainly agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if DW kept both of them. But Sideshow Spin would be a good location for a new flat as well.