TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Dollywood just announced several new additions to the park along with two new special events to enjoy in 2017!

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/YOF2017

New in 2017 at Dollywood

In 2017 Dollywood will offer even more fun for families at our Smoky Mountain destination. With three new attractions and two new special events everyone in the family is sure to find something that makes their day memorable in 2017.

Drop Line at Dollywood

New in Summer 2017, Drop Line is a 200-foot tall free-fall experience that towers over Timber Canyon and provides an incredible view of the park before its exhilarating finish. The drop tower ride lifts Dollywood guests nearly 20 stories above the Canyon’s pool, before plummeting them back to the ground in a thrilling rush.

Whistle Punk Chaser at Dollywood

Whistle Punk Chaser, a new junior coaster opening in Summer 2017, throws thrilling twists and turns at Dollywood’s younger loggers, helping prepare them for the day they can join their parents aboard the award-winning Thunderhead wooden coaster.

TailSpin Racer at Dollywood's Splash Country

In 2017 experience the wet and wild twists, turns and thrills of Dollywood’s Splash Country’s newest attraction, TailSpin Racer! From its unique spiraling, high-speed AquaTubes to its splashdown finish, it’s an all-out race to see who can get to the end first.

New Special Events at Dollywood

Two new events will join our family festivals in 2017. Just in time for families enjoying spring break, the park will introduce enra, a Tokyo-based dance company which was featured on America’s Got Talent in 2015. The group wowed audiences with their high-energy multi-media dance, light and video fusion show.

Also, for the first time ever Dollywood will be opening during the evening in October to welcome the spectacular GREAT Pumpkin LumiNights event alongside the Southern Gospel Jubilee to our Harvest Festival. This nighttime event immerses families in fabulous fall pumpkin illumination.

TN_New17_WPC.jpg.4b2e8c0b640daf27885571303685e839.jpg

dl.thumb.JPG.3095199441b89a77071e55381107930b.JPG

tsr.thumb.JPG.bb71c428af35b249bf8f58ce19728aef.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

It does look like the new funtime skyfall system style tower based on the photo of the cart (Except for the different restraint system).. If so, it shouldn't take long to build and these towers are designed for small areas such as the old timber tower area.. but those are designed to be more of a mobile drop tower aren't they? I love the funtime swings like skyscreamer

Color me surprised that they made a big announcement this late, and that they managed to keep it under wraps so well. Solid additions to the park. The drop tower really helps round things out.

What will DW Fans fixate on now with the drop tower idea finally taken care of?

When we will finally get the dark ride that pops up on surveys everynow and then

Wow! Dollywood is going all out! I imagine Lightning Rod will have its kinks worked out before the 2017 season opens and with the addition of all these new attractions, Dollywood is going to be amazing! Or more amazing because the park already is amazing. Glad to see some of these parks such as Dollywood and Hershey finally adding drop towers. And also, it would be nice to know if grown people could ride this junior coaster or not because credit whores need to know.

Whistle Punk Chaser, a new junior coaster opening in Summer 2017, throws thrilling twists and turns at Dollywood’s younger loggers, helping prepare them for the day they can join their parents aboard the award-winning Thunderhead wooden coaster.

Is this a kiddie woodie?

In case anyone is still confused on the manufacturer, Ride Entertainment just posted that they sold it on FB. They're the broker for Funtime in the US.

And they have a good video on Facebook of one in Action!

https://www.facebook.com/RideEntertainment/

Looks like an awesome drop tower!

(This one is over 300ft tall though)

Is this a kiddie woodie?

RCDB has it listed as Steel. Im interested to see this to

I am assuming they are just guessing, because Dollywood has surprised everyone with this.. If they do put it around Thunderhead and it's steel, it will look out of place I feel but who knows.. If its a woodie, I am sure we will see progress starting on it soon or it'll be late

Edited by dstephe9

Is this a kiddie woodie?

I'm not sure if by "preparing" riders for Thunderhead they're implying the coaster will also be wood, or simply adjacent to Thunderhead in location.

Either way, I'm surely due for a revisit to Dollywood after missing Lightning Rod this year, and both these additions make another visit very enticing!

I'm interested to see more details on the GREAT Pumpkin LumiNights event. I'm guessing this is why they are open so late in October.

Same here.. my GF and I go all the time to just walk around and enjoy the festival's, especially in the evening after work.. I have been excited about October since the schedule released with extended hours

October, we don't get to go as often due to them closing early and me not being off until 5 or 6.. now we can go again

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Is this a kiddie woodie?

I'm not sure if by "preparing" riders for Thunderhead they're implying the coaster will also be wood, or simply adjacent to Thunderhead in location.

Exactly why I asked.

Here's another question: "Summer 2017" definitely isn't opening day for Dollywood. So...when do these open?

That's what I said a few pages back but I believe they are just playing it safe with the LR delay they experienced this year and we might still see a spring opening, at least for the drop tower. I don't know why the drop tower couldn't be be finished by Spring. Funtime claims they can be installed in as short of a time as 8 hours and the area is already prepared for it.. I know a permanent install will take longer but I'd imagine not much longer.. Just my theory though. (Unless they are pulling a six flags and want these rides to open in the summer to bring in a small summer rush)

Dollywood is known to try and have stuff finished by opening and if the coaster is Steel, this is about the time we started seeing progress start on fire chaser a few years ago (aside from taking down the old attraction).. I'd imagine this coaster might be smaller so I feel they have time to open by Spring.. If it's wood, they will have to move fast but I still feel they have time. I'd imagine it isn't a huge coaster.

Edited by dstephe9

As far as the Pumpkin Illumination event, this is intriguing. They're in a tough spot since they need to keep their bible thumping fans happy so a Halloween event might not go over well, but when they talk about a pumpkin illumination event that can be quite the cash cow.

There's an event in the Sleepy Hollow, NY area called the Great Jack O Lantern Blaze and it draws an absurd amount of people. All it really is is a bunch of great stuff created out of carved pumpkins. Here's an example...

Obviously the press release is vague, but this is kind of what I imagine. If so, it's family friendly, won't upset the bible thumpers too much (even though the origins of a Jack O Lantern are satanic or some bull***) and a lot of the pumpkins are fake (shhh...) so they can just bring them out year after year.

Business Wire has this description which makes it sound like this is the direction they're going in...

In October, Dollywood’s Harvest Festival adds the spectacular GREAT! Pumpkin LumiNights event. This nighttime event immerses families in fabulous fall pumpkin illumination. Additionally, a new pumpkin trail comes to life after dark with a number of spectacular pumpkin displays glowing with the fire of fall. The festival also includes the Southern Gospel Jubilee which brings in the greatest Southern gospel talent around.

Personally I think all of this sounds great.

Very exciting additions! Can't wait to renew our passes for next year. Finally a drop tower in Timber Tower's old spot (assuming that's correct)!

Regarding Lightning Rod, I saw on Facebook that someone this past Monday was at Dollywood and was told that LR is down due to computer issues.

Very exciting additions! Can't wait to renew our passes for next year. Finally a drop tower in Timber Tower's old spot (assuming that's correct)!

Regarding Lightning Rod, I saw on Facebook that someone this past Monday was at Dollywood and was told that LR is down due to computer issues.

A lot of us have suspected sensors and computers to be the issue for a while now, no proof of that but I feel it's a fair assumption. and I really do bet that is going to be the spot.. it's already developed for it and in the concept art, you can see the pond from Timber Tower.. They might build a new location for it, but they have been saving that structure and line for something ha-ha

^^^Interesting speculation about the pumpkin thing though I think you might be overthinking the "bible thumper" influence. I definitely see DW stepping up it's game continuously on these night time events in the near future as Carowinds' similar events pick up.

The LR ordeal is just so disheartening. The FB threads for this announcement are about 90% pertaining to LR issues. It's such a huge PR issue for them now and it seems to STILL be out of control. Such a missed opportunity as well with how many first time visitors they have generated between that and the hotel.

A lot of us have suspected sensors and computers to be the issue for a while now, no proof of that but I feel it's a fair assumption. and I really do bet that is going to be the spot.. it's already developed for it and in the concept art, you can see the pond from Timber Tower.. They might build a new location for it, but they have been saving that structure and line for something ha-ha

Agreed. I'm at the point where I will try not to speculate too much on the issues further. I just hope they can get it back open soon.

I've always pictured a good drop tower there ever since Timber Tower was removed, and I looked closely at the animation and description and it pretty much confirms the spot. I would be surprised if they do end up building it somewhere else close by.

Not sure if its just me, but does anyone think we may see a possible Timber Canyon revamp? Or at least by that particular area by the two new attractions?