TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Fall could also be referring to the time of year. If it is a new festival in October it could be that also. A drop tower would fit well into the park though.

Good point, looking at it this way brings me back to an October festival which explains the increased hours lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It would be a bit ridiculous to announce an October festival the October a year prior (it clearly says 2017 people). I believe it is a drop tower. Maybe they waited for fall to announce so they could say something like " this fall we're gonna tell you how your gonna fall next spring " , or something like that. Anyway, we'll all find out in the morning, prop's to them for not making us sweat it out.

praying for an intamin if they get one. but seeing theyve already worked with s&s thats what itll probs be

I don't think Intamin and HFE have liked Intamin since the Lost River of the Ozarks at SDC, but don't quote me on that

I'll quote you on that.

See, business decisions aren't made on the basis of liking a company or not. It's all about finding the right product. Intamin make a lot of different kinds of rides, but generally they're high cost, high quality rides. They push limits and make some of the biggest coasters anywhere. That's why enthusiasts love them.

Business priorities are not always aligned with that type of thinking, though. High cost, high quality rides mean each guest has to pay more to ride them. That can be accomplished through a variety of factors: tickets, food, hotels, merchandise, etc. The fact is, though, that the higher you price something, the more people will opt out of it entirely.

HFE as a company are really, really cheap. A lot of enthusiasts miss this because their parks are so enjoyable, but they're as cheap as Six Flags when purchasing rides. The business model is to keep prices low across the board--tickets, food, merchandise--and to focus on a great guest experience to bring people back year after year.

In order to achieve that, HFE will look for the cheapest possible ride that will give the guest experience they're looking for. Sometimes that particular experience isn't cheap, and they spend the money on something like Wildfire or Mystery Mine. Getting it right is what brings people back. But a lot of the time the question "Is there a cheaper ride that will bring in the same number of guests?" can be answered positively. Outlaw Run is a perfect example; $10 million could not have bought a better ride from any other company.

So that explains why they haven't gotten an Intamin coaster so far. Dollywood has a hotel now, which increases guest spending while not driving anyone away; those who can't afford the hotel or don't want to spend that much don't have to. This new revenue stream may allow them to do things they haven't done before. HFE are smart, though, and they know which corners can be cut and which ones cannot. I would expect that no matter what their income is, they continue to ask that question of whether the desired experience can be had for less. If Intamin is the only company that can deliver the experience, they'll get an Intamin. If someone can deliver that experience for less, they'll buy from someone else.

It would be a bit ridiculous to announce an October festival the October a year prior (it clearly says 2017 people). I believe it is a drop tower. Maybe they waited for fall to announce so they could say something like " this fall we're gonna tell you how your gonna fall next spring " , or something like that. Anyway, we'll all find out in the morning, prop's to them for not making us sweat it out.

Not necessarily, Dollywoods known to announce their festivals this time of year, and it wouldn't be just for October.. it'll be all festivals and shows for the entire season so saying its for 2017 wouldn't be wrong.. They just released their operating schedule a week or so ago and it has big changes on it so this could be the next step..

I'm hoping for a ride, it's just very out of characteristic for Dollywood to build a ride when Splash Country is getting a new attraction (going back to the HFE comments about them being cheap right before this post) and to announce one this late.. That doesn't mean it isn't a ride though!

Another strange thing, if it is a ride, is no in park teasers aside from the "it all started here" sign in the old mine.. that might not even be a teaser for anything.

praying for an intamin if they get one. but seeing theyve already worked with s&s thats what itll probs be

I don't think Intamin and HFE have liked Intamin since the Lost River of the Ozarks at SDC, but don't quote me on that

I'll quote you on that.

See, business decisions aren't made on the basis of liking a company or not. It's all about finding the right product. Intamin make a lot of different kinds of rides, but generally they're high cost, high quality rides. They push limits and make some of the biggest coasters anywhere. That's why enthusiasts love them.

Business priorities are not always aligned with that type of thinking, though. High cost, high quality rides mean each guest has to pay more to ride them. That can be accomplished through a variety of factors: tickets, food, hotels, merchandise, etc. The fact is, though, that the higher you price something, the more people will opt out of it entirely.

HFE as a company are really, really cheap.

So that explains why they haven't gotten an Intamin coaster so far..... If Intamin is the only company that can deliver the experience, they'll get an Intamin. If someone can deliver that experience for less, they'll buy from someone else.

I agree with all you're saying, but I would not hold my breath for any Intamin products to be purchased by HFE. Dollywood, SDC and Wild Adventures have ZERO Intamin rides or coasters. HFE's only experience, that I'm aware of, with Intamin was through being the management for Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake. If you'll all recall, the first year of HFE's management of Darian Lake was the year of the accident on Superman in 2011 where the man fell out and died.

It's just my opinion, but all their parks have rides and coasters from just about every other manufacturer, except Intamin. I think it's a safety issue moreso than cost, but its probably a mix of both factors.

Talked with a friend who just got back from there this weekend and he said that they were taking apart the swing ride in Country Fair. So we could see a family drop tower there or even see a revamp of Country Fair similar to what is at SDC.

Does anybody know what time the announcement will be?

I agree with all you're saying, but I would not hold my breath for any Intamin products to be purchased by HFE. Dollywood, SDC and Wild Adventures have ZERO Intamin rides or coasters. HFE's only experience, that I'm aware of, with Intamin was through being the management for Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake. If you'll all recall, the first year of HFE's management of Darian Lake was the year of the accident on Superman in 2011 where the man fell out and died.

It's just my opinion, but all their parks have rides and coasters from just about every other manufacturer, except Intamin. I think it's a safety issue moreso than cost, but its probably a mix of both factors.

I'm very sure that any company running a chain of theme parks understands why that incident occurred, which was not in any way a safety failure of the ride, but more so a failure of the employees of that park. Same with the NTEG incident. If they were worried about buying rides from manufacturers that people have died on before, then they wouldn't have purchased 2 RMC coasters.

I'd agree that HFE would buy an Intamin ride if there was a product they produced that they were happy with and felt was cost effective, but Gerstlauer and B&M aren't cheaper companies than Intamin. Pound-for-pound, they're pricier.

Talked with a friend who just got back from there this weekend and he said that they were taking apart the swing ride in Country Fair. So we could see a family drop tower there or even see a revamp of Country Fair similar to what is at SDC.

Does anybody know what time the announcement will be?

I wouldn't expect a drop tower in the country Fair area.. they need flats outside of that area so unless they plan to announce a renovation of the area I feel a drop tower will be placed elsewhere.

They are saving timber towers area for something, why else keep the line in tact? About the only thing that will fit there is a smaller flat or a drop tower or something

I'm very sure that any company running a chain of theme parks understands why that incident occurred, which was not in any way a safety failure of the ride, but more so a failure of the employees of that park. Same with the NTEG incident. If they were worried about buying rides from manufacturers that people have died on before, then they wouldn't have purchased 2 RMC coasters.

I'm speaking about Intamin's overall safety record. How many people have died on their rides through the years? I guess its just all a coincidence that more people die using Intamin rides than other manufacturers...or simply bad luck. Cedar Point and Holiday World just removed two of their water rides....just a coincidence.

I would have to say that HFE's insurance companies have an opinion about this as well.

It's a drop tower, check your email, I just got the email..it's 200 ft tower so full sized and not family sized!! Drop tower is in Timber canyon so I'd imagine in old timber towers spot.. I guess even a 200ft tower could be a family tower though but when I think of 200ft I think most kids would be scared

Also a junior coaster as well, I'd imagine the coaster is why they are making space in the fair area

Wow very surprised announcements!

The whistle chaser has me intrigued.. "to help young loggers prepare for Thunderhead".. it might be located in Timber Canyon as well.. and I wonder if it'll be a wood junior coaster? Is their a such thing?

I'm glad it's a full sized drop tower though!! I'm not a fan of the small towers even though I am so scared of heights ha-ha

The whistle chaser has me intrigued.. "to help young loggers prepare for Thunderhead".. it might be located in Timber Canyon as well.. and I wonder if it'll be a wood junior coaster? Is their a such thing?

I'm glad it's a full sized drop tower though!! I'm not a fan of the small towers even though I am so scared of heights ha-ha

There is such a thing! zdt's switchback coaster

This all sounds great. I hope they don't lose the swings in country fair. My hope is they put a lighting package on it.

Looks like the coaster is going to be in Timber Canyon. Surprised, excited, and shocked by the announcement! A 200 foot drop tower and a credit!

Wood junior coaster wood be excellent!

It doesn't say anything about being wood but saying it will help prepare for Thunderhead makes me think it might be..

No concept art for the coaster yet drop tower I can see the old pond from timber Tower and it looks like a fully round tower so a good capacity tower.. no floor in it!

I have suspected there would be a drop tower for a long time but never imagined it would be a full sized one

Looks like the coaster is going to be in Timber Canyon. Surprised, excited, and shocked by the announcement! A 200 foot drop tower and a credit!

Wood junior coaster wood be excellent!

I noticed the last time I was there that the water play area next to Thunderhead was removed. So I can see a Jr. going in that little cove right there. I'm just wondering if they will keep the playground.

Overall, I'm excited to finally get a flat in timber canyon again. 200' would give some great views of the park never seen before

I'd imagine between the two rides, they are putting a lot of capital into this! Especially with the slides at splash country.. wonder how much they are spending?? And wonder if we will still see a major attraction such as a dark ride or something in 2018 now?