TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was at the park all day today and a couple hours last night. Finally got our rides on LR. Four rides total. 2 in row 2, 1 in row 5, and 1 in row 6. I felt the jolt that some are talking about but other than that, HOLY CRAP is this ride awesome. Easily my #1 wood and probably is my #3 overral. The relentless speed and airtime is amazing. I know the line reached about 2 hours but we never waited more than about 40 minutes either day. I don't think it broke down much today although they were at 1 train ops for a lot of the day. So glad we were finally able to ride it.

Other than LR, the park was swamped. Time Saver was a must today. Great day as usual though.

I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but today Dollywood's service surprised me again. I'm on crutches because of a knee injury, so I've been crutching around the parks I've been visiting. Yesterday I went all the way over to Lightning Rod and crutched all through the line. I got to the very top and the host told me to step to the side of the exit and wait because they can't let me through with my crutches like that. I was crushed and thought I wouldn't be riding. Silly me. They sent someone from guest services over to the ride and up the elevator just for me. Had me sign some paperwork and gave me a handicap access pass. I proceeded to get right on Lightning Rod and went about my day going through the handicap entrances. It really improved my experience yesterday. I already love Dollywood, but that just sent it through the roof for me. Amazing park service as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at the park all day today and a couple hours last night. Finally got our rides on LR. Four rides total. 2 in row 2, 1 in row 5, and 1 in row 6. I felt the jolt that some are talking about but other than that, HOLY CRAP is this ride awesome. Easily my #1 wood and probably is my #3 overral. The relentless speed and airtime is amazing. I know the line reached about 2 hours but we never waited more than about 40 minutes either day. I don't think it broke down much today although they were at 1 train ops for a lot of the day. So glad we were finally able to ride it.

Other than LR, the park was swamped. Time Saver was a must today. Great day as usual though.

When I was there on Friday I rode in row 2,3,5,810,11 and the only two times I felt the jolt were in the middle of the train.

When I was there on Friday I rode in row 2,3,5,810,11 and the only two times I felt the jolt were in the middle of the train.

I felt it everywhere but it really didn't make the ride any less great. Not all RMC coasters can be butter smooth I guess.

I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but today Dollywood's service surprised me again. I'm on crutches because of a knee injury, so I've been crutching around the parks I've been visiting. Yesterday I went all the way over to Lightning Rod and crutched all through the line. I got to the very top and the host told me to step to the side of the exit and wait because they can't let me through with my crutches like that. I was crushed and thought I wouldn't be riding. Silly me. They sent someone from guest services over to the ride and up the elevator just for me. Had me sign some paperwork and gave me a handicap access pass. I proceeded to get right on Lightning Rod and went about my day going through the handicap entrances. It really improved my experience yesterday. I already love Dollywood, but that just sent it through the roof for me. Amazing park service as always.

This is what I'm talking about! If you're a real coaster enthusiast, you will have the smarts to use a cripple for they're full potential. I married into my cripple. Alana's father has a bad hip and uses one of those rascals. Bam! Front of line! I can't wait to start degenerating. I will use that shiz for all it's worth. Then get all uppity and offended when people mock or make fun of me. Cause' I loves me somma hipocrite.

Hope I'm not repeating any questions but I missed Lightning Rod when I visited Dollywood last month (2 dispatches away from riding before a storm rolled in [CRYING FACE]) but I'm planning on making a return trip this season. I'm pretty limited schedule wise and I'm planning on the first weekend of their holiday event (Nov. 5).

Before I commit, I wanted to gauge how likely Lightning Rod will be operating that late in the season. For people who have gone in the cooler months, does Dollywood operate all their coasters? What seems to be their threshold temperature-wise whether they'll be running? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

This is what I'm talking about! If you're a real coaster enthusiast, you will have the smarts to use a cripple for they're full potential. I married into my cripple. Alana's father has a bad hip and uses one of those rascals. Bam! Front of line! I can't wait to start degenerating. I will use that shiz for all it's worth. Then get all uppity and offended when people mock or make fun of me. Cause' I loves me somma hipocrite.

Hahahaha. This gave me a laugh. Sea World Orlando gave me really good service too. Very comparable service actually. I still didnt expect Dollywood to let me choose my seats on the rides. No way in hell I'm gonna turn down free chances to ride Lightning Rod in the 2 best seats in the house. That twist and shout in the front seat is to die for. Make me even more eager to ride Wildfire!

I think the cutoff is 40 degrees. Anything below that and they won't run coasters. Last year, with such a mild winter, coasters were running till close.

I believe the official stance is 36, but I can't find an official statement.

Never been there for Christmas/New Years, but many Thanksgiving trips and never closed because of temperature though close. We bundled up with ear muffs, but not closed.

Similar cold in March. One March trip it felt like it would snow and did the day after we left.

Been there when it was snowing in GSM Park and roads closed there, but rode coasters at DW.

Glad to see Lightning Rod is officially "open" again. I noticed also that the wait times for it are finally posted on the app... it had a 75 minute wait yesterday while everything else was practically a walk-on. Hate that they had so many issues with it getting it up and running. Hoping that everyone will be able to put everything behind them, the ride continues to run like a champ, and everyone will continue to enjoy this great park, and EXCELLENT wooden coaster creation. Of the 369 coasters I have ridden this is a #1 for me. Just the right amount of intensity. Fantastic ride from start to finish.

For those that were there this weekend - are the trains still somewhat modified? When we were there for the event Dollywood held in January, they showed off the new trains. The front car had a windshield (i think) and the back car had a trunk. Early pictures of the ride running from RCDB show this: https://rcdb.com/13369.htm#p=71908 - though the windshield is not in this picture. The trunk was not on the trains anytime we rode the ride in August. Has it been put back on since they have officially reopened the ride, or does it remain off?

I have attached pictures from the non-coaster event I took in January of the front and rear of the train.

693302704_LightningRodRear.thumb.jpg.9f78322216ca90d85ba55597e59e47b0.jpg

2065804223_LightningRodFront.thumb.jpg.b567d98ac2ca11c39cfc8b4f30258cf1.jpg

Glad to see Lightning Rod is officially "open" again. I noticed also that the wait times for it are finally posted on the app... it had a 75 minute wait yesterday while everything else was practically a walk-on. Hate that they had so many issues with it getting it up and running. Hoping that everyone will be able to put everything behind them, the ride continues to run like a champ, and everyone will continue to enjoy this great park, and EXCELLENT wooden coaster creation. Of the 369 coasters I have ridden this is a #1 for me. Just the right amount of intensity. Fantastic ride from start to finish.

For those that were there this weekend - are the trains still somewhat modified? When we were there for the event Dollywood held in January, they showed off the new trains. The front car had a windshield (i think) and the back car had a trunk. Early pictures of the ride running from RCDB show this: https://rcdb.com/13369.htm#p=71908 - though the windshield is not in this picture. The trunk was not on the trains anytime we rode the ride in August. Has it been put back on since they have officially reopened the ride, or does it remain off?

I have attached pictures from the non-coaster event I took in January of the front and rear of the train.

No windshields though the engine block is still on the front. (unfortunately if you ask me.) The back remains bare and exposed. (for the better again in my opinion.)

Edit- Random question, what's the word on that 4k video with all those sweet under train shots? And also, no updates on the documentary? I've been looking forward to it.

ALSO (sorry I'm sure this is annoying) I've seen people with Rocky Mountain Construction T shirts and Hoodies that don't work for the company. Is there any way to purchase these, or do you just have to know the right people to get your hands on one?