TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

You can put up to 8 people on one device. Therefore, one is good for two people!

You do still need to pay for each individual person though. And Dollywood's timesaver is very useful for reserving seats for the shows as well. And IMHO, very reasonable in comparison to other parks FoL devices.

Thanks Guy for the extra input. Forgot that part!!!

Thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated, we can't wait to be there! - Another question I do have also is about loose articles. My girlfriend and I are considering bringing hats/sunglasses or maybe her purse with a camera. Do they have bins in the stations for free in most cases or is it a locker-style system?

They have bins in all stations.. if you have valuables I'd consider a small backpack so that you can leave it in the bins wth valuables inside.. I do it all the time and never had issues

Bins are free

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In addition to the free bins on the loading platform, there are more secure options for rent in a few places if you want something more secure. I believe some at LR , I know for sure at River Rampage and Fire Chaser.

Edited by STDog

If you don't feel safe using the bins, they also have lockers near each coaster that you can lock valuables up in. They have the pay one price and use any locker deal. But I carry one of those string back pack things and hand it to the host to put in the bins. Never had a problem with it. Some coasters have a separate set of bins for each train.

Yup I don't believe you would have an issue if all your valuables are inside a bag.. now leave a $3000 camera sitting in one of those bins outside a backpack, you never know.. just leave it in a pack and you should be good haha

On the topic of the alpine coasters, I rode 3 of them, excluding the Ober Gatlinburg one (I've read multiple places that one is crap). I'd rank them:

#1. Gatlinburg Alpine Coaster - Fastest, best scenery, most intense

#2. Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster - Very long, but has these fin brakes running along the track that keep it from going too fast

#3. Goat Coaster - Also has the fin brakes

I recommend riding all 3 of these if you have lots of time to spend and you're an enthusiast! They're very fun!

Anyone know when it went down? Has it been down for a few days or just not open today? I skimmed back to see if I missed anything but I thought it has been running.. I know it was last week lol

Anyone know when it went down? Has it been down for a few days or just not open today? I skimmed back to see if I missed anything but I thought it has been running.. I know it was last week lol

What he said... I have a trip planned for a week from today. We are going to cancel if it's not running.

I saw someone on twitter say that LR did not open with the park today, but eventually did open several hours later. That was about an hour or two ago. I am not sure if it's still open at the moment. We may be making a day trip to the park in a few weeks, but may cancel if the coaster hasn't fully opened yet. I would rather not take the risk during technical rehearsals since there is always a good chance that the coaster may be closed at anytime. At least I got lucky with it back in early June.

I hate to say this but I highly doubt it'll be out of tech rehearsal anytime this season

Yeah you're probably right. Since there still seams to be a bit of problems with the ride, I just can't see it being fully open anytime soon. Let's just hope it's sooner than later!

This may be the first ,only and last launched wooden roller coaster. It really is not even worth the trouble IMO. Yes a launch is always pretty cool but the launch is essentially just a high tech lift hill.

The delay has nothing to do with the fact that it's a wooden coaster. It has everything to do with the fact they used a prototype launch system from a manufacturer with minimal LSM development experience.

Two things.

1. I think the fact that it is a wooden coaster may have everything to do with because I can imagine the technology needs to be retrofitted to accommodate a wooden structure.

For example: A steel LSM coster runs on a steel straight track where the manufacture has to make sure that every part lines up perfectly. With a wooden roller coaster where wood settle, shifts, sways etc that may be something that needs to be accounted for when adding a LSM system.

Also remember this is not a straight horizontal launch like many launched rides. This is is essentially a launched lift hill which may also pose some problem on a wood structure.

2. The fact that it is a wooden coaster might explain why RMC had to resort to using a company whos experienced with LSM launches is limited. No one has experience with an LSM launch on a wooden coaster, and few manufactures have any roller coaster LSM experience; and of those that do some may have decided their tech could not work with this type of ride.

From early April....Fast forward to August. Still "technically rehearsing"

So the Million Dollar (literally) question is this... if a wood structure proves to be too dynamic to handle a launch system. Will we see a tearout of the launch hill and see a completely new structure put in its place over winter? IN other words, will they have Intamin build a lift hill similar to Goliath or Wildfire with an Intamin launch system on it?

So the Million Dollar (literally) question is this... if a wood structure proves to be too dynamic to handle a launch system. Will we see a tearout of the launch hill and see a completely new structure put in its place over winter? IN other words, will they have Intamin build a lift hill similar to Goliath or Wildfire with an Intamin launch system on it?

I don't think the launch has anything to do with the issues and honestly I feel like the majority of the issues, except for some of the lap bar issues, where corrected during the almost 2 month long closure.. I have been to Dollywood a few times since it reopened and it has gone hours upon hours between closing.. when it did close it always had to do, when I was there at least, with a sensor that needed to be reset or lap bar that wouldn't open.. The launch seems to be working fine and even earlier in the season when people thought the launch was over heating I feel that wasn't the issue..

I made a post then that said when it closed for 3 hours on two separate trips they continued to launch the coaster over and over while it was closed.. this would not give the launch system time to cool

We all assume it's the launch but if you just spend time at the park and watch you will see signs that point away from the launch

I means look at the sings

1.) Rows closed on the train..

2.) Having to back the trians into the station and then back onto the track and everything is fine after that.

3.) The continued launching when it does close

4.) When it goes down they are almost ALWAYS working on the train and not really the track

5.) When it was down for almost two months we hardly saw anyone working on the hill or track

6.) The last two month closure was right during the recall

Stuff like that seems to point towards other issues in my mind

Commenting in several topics.

1. Coming from a Safety Trainer of all coasters and even the Zip Lines at the park, here is what I can tell you of our policy. Ever since the woman fell out of NTG, Dollywood's policy has been that Hosts are not allowed to assist in the closing of a restraint on any ride whatsoever WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BARNSTORMER where it is difficult to push down completely from the seat. There, hosts are required to push down until the restraint makes contact with the guest's lap. At all other attractions park wide guests must be able to secure themselves into the seat and a host will check the bars/locks by tugging against the restraint. Hosts cannot push down for fear of injuring a guest with the bar itself or causing them to be hurt by the restraint during the ride. Hosts may lower the bar to put it within your reach such as a child riding MM or WE, but they cannot push down on a restraint.

2. LRod's downtime has nothing to do with the launch, which is running beautifully.

3. TimeSaver devices only allow 6 people on each device.

4. The Inventors Mansion Still Stands but the ramp is gone.

4.) When it goes down they are almost ALWAYS working on the train and not really the track.

Word on the street from several of my industry connections is that the RMC trains are not so well received by maintenance departments. Almost in the category of Intamin train disdain.

4.) When it goes down they are almost ALWAYS working on the train and not really the track.

Word on the street from several of my industry connections is that the RMC trains are not so well received by maintenance departments. Almost in the category of Intamin train disdain.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the intamin train disdain? I've never heard much discussion train maintenance before and am curious to know more.

1. Coming from a Safety Trainer of all coasters and even the Zip Lines at the park, here is what I can tell you of our policy. Ever since the woman fell out of NTAG, Dollywood's policy has been that Hosts are not allowed to assist in the closing of a restraint on any ride whatsoever WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BARNSTORMER where it is difficult to push down completely from the seat. There, hosts are required to push down until the restraint makes contact with the guest's lap. At all other attractions park wide guests must be able to secure themselves into the seat and a host will check the bars/locks by tugging against the restraint. Hosts cannot push down for fear of injuring a guest with the bar itself or causing them to be hurt by the restraint during the ride. Hosts may lower the bar to put it within your reach such as a child riding MM or WE, but they cannot push down on a restraint.

2. LRod's downtime has nothing to do with the launch, which is running beautifully.

3. TimeSaver devices only allow 6 people on each device.

4. The Inventors Mansion Still Stands but the ramp is gone.

Take Danny's word for it. He really does what he says he does. Also a cool guy.

1. Coming from a Safety Trainer of all coasters and even the Zip Lines at the park, here is what I can tell you of our policy. Ever since the woman fell out of NTAG, Dollywood's policy has been that Hosts are not allowed to assist in the closing of a restraint on any ride whatsoever WITH THE EXCEPTION.... At all other attractions park wide guests must be able to secure themselves into the seat and a host will check the bars/locks by tugging against the restraint. Hosts cannot push down for fear of injuring a guest with the bar itself or causing them to be hurt by the restraint during the ride. Hosts may lower the bar to put it within your reach such as a child riding MM or WE, but they cannot push down on a restraint.

That policy is so weird to me, as a former ride operator. We were trained to push and then pull to make sure that the restraint is close enough to the person's body to keep them securely inside. With the policy you mentioned, it's possible for a guest to not lower their restrain far enough, have the R.O. check just by tugging upward, and then have the guest get ejected from the ride. Specifically on coasters with really intense negative Gs (aka, every RMC coaster). Which seems like the opposite of what the response should have been to the incident on NTG. Lowering a bar too much will cause some discomfort (it's happened to me), but not lowering it enough can cause death.