TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ Great review man, you described the insanity of this ride to a tee, although i haven't noticed the bump yet. I've ridden back row only once and basically had that feeling you described of "what just happened" but i guess my adrenalin was too high so i couldn't really focus on the overall details. My second and only other ride i've had, i was assigned row 5 (a non wheel seat) i was able to expect what was coming from a blurred memory of my first ride and my body was less tense. It really gives a feeling like it's just having it's way with you in a positive manor. I consider Lighting Rod my #3 overall behind Skyrush at #2 and Fury325 at #1, but maybe after more rides it could move up a spot. In my opinion LR feels like a wooden Skyrush with a lower to the ground pretty terrain setting. It's a monster of a ride!

I suggest writing trip reports in word and then pasting them here just to be safe. I've had that happen also.

I have a question. On a scale of "Unimaginable Greatness" to "Holy Crap it's Amazing", how would you rate Mystery Mine?

I actually liked Mystery Mine.

I think it's more like, wow this is soo cool! OWWW..OMG that was a fun element...headbang oof...check out this lift... ouch, that rattled me...holy crap that hangtime!

Shew! That was fun but I need to wait a few before we do it again.

And, thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

I'm not ready to write all that again but just a couple quick things about the parks. LOVE the mountain setting and ambiance of the DW. Wait times in DW weren't bad at all even for LR. Night ride on LR was amazing.

Splash Country was PACKED!

Oh and there's this...

Oh yeah! Quicktime! Let's party like it's Windows 95!

As soon as I saw the quicktime file I knew a coasterbill comment was coming.

There's nothing to do at the office today and I have a lot of free time until 5:00. All other posters take warning.

I think it's more like, wow this is soo cool! OWWW..OMG that was a fun element...headbang oof...check out this lift... ouch, that rattled me...holy crap that hangtime!

I always lean into the OTSR on Mystery Mine to prevent headbanging (and crotch banging). The crotch nubs on these OTSRs require a bit of a defensive riding posture for me, especially on that ejector bunny hop into the brakes.

Count me in on agreeing that Mystery Mine is a beautifully done coaster. Probably one of the best themed coasters I've ever come across outside of Disney and on par with several Universal coasters. Plus I have almost no problems with roughness.

The more I ride it, the more little things I find and appreciate. The thing that really sells the ride for me is the intentionally awkwardly banked track in the beginning of the ride. It's a small detail, but it shows that Dollywood and Gerstlauer really worked hard together to make it feel like you're in a real mine.

You could argue that Mystery Mine is the best "mine train" coaster ever created. It's a gem, especially for those that really enjoy heavily themed coasters like me.

Oh and there's this...

Oh yeah! Quicktime! Let's party like it's Windows 95!

Sorry about the quicktime. I tried to fix it but I couldn't figure out how so, I just left it.

Teach me oh tech savvy coaster peeps!

(I have internet Nazi's and a dinosaur computer at work)

I always lean into the OTSR on Mystery Mine to prevent headbanging (and crotch banging). The crotch nubs on these OTSRs require a bit of a defensive riding posture for me, especially on that ejector bunny hop into the brakes.

I don't have any crotch bits so I don't need to worry about crotch nubs but sure wish I'd known about the leaning forward thing. Oh well, it must not have been that bad because I rode it 4 times.

Count me in on agreeing that Mystery Mine is a beautifully done coaster. Probably one of the best themed coasters I've ever come across outside of Disney and on par with several Universal coasters. Plus I have almost no problems with roughness.

The more I ride it, the more little things I find and appreciate. The thing that really sells the ride for me is the intentionally awkwardly banked track in the beginning of the ride. It's a small detail, but it shows that Dollywood and Gerstlauer really worked hard together to make it feel like you're in a real mine.

You could argue that Mystery Mine is the best "mine train" coaster ever created. It's a gem, especially for those that really enjoy heavily themed coasters like me.

Agreed. Great theming and the ops were pretty entertaining as well.

(the canary right before the vertical lift )

Long time TPR guy here who has been MIA a long while. I have a trip planned here for Labor Day weekend and I'd like any advice you all may have.

We're staying in Cherokee, NC on Friday night, then driving the last leg to Pigeon Forge for Saturday at Dollywood, staying the night, and hitting Dollywood again for half a day on Sunday as we got the two day passes with our accommodation, which turned out to be a great deal.

We also are interested in the mountain coasters around the area so I'm trying to figure out when the best time to do those would be and figure out how busy the park will be on Labor Day and whether you guys think it would be a good idea to spring from the TimeSavers at all. Also with the TimeSavers, would I need to buy two? Or is one good enough for our group of 2?

Any and all advice is very welcome as I have not been to this area or this park!

Long time TPR guy here who has been MIA a long while. I have a trip planned here for Labor Day weekend and I'd like any advice you all may have.

We're staying in Cherokee, NC on Friday night, then driving the last leg to Pigeon Forge for Saturday at Dollywood, staying the night, and hitting Dollywood again for half a day on Sunday as we got the two day passes with our accommodation, which turned out to be a great deal.

We also are interested in the mountain coasters around the area so I'm trying to figure out when the best time to do those would be and figure out how busy the park will be on Labor Day and whether you guys think it would be a good idea to spring from the TimeSavers at all. Also with the TimeSavers, would I need to buy two? Or is one good enough for our group of 2?

Any and all advice is very welcome as I have not been to this area or this park!

Really anytime for the mountain coasters is a good time, but you may want to contact them for more information. Timesavers at Dollywood are a real gem, especially if the park is busy. Here's how to gauge that: if you have to park in D through H parking then a Timesaver is highly recommended on Saturdays because it tends to get quite busy. As a warning though, Lightning Rod does not offer the Timesaver pass for this year so you will have to wait in line for that one. It will be incorporated either later this year or at the beginning of the next season. Glad you're coming to see us at Dollywood! See you soon!

PS: You can put up to 8 people on one device. Therefore, one is good for two people!

You can put up to 8 people on one device. Therefore, one is good for two people!

You do still need to pay for each individual person though. And Dollywood's timesaver is very useful for reserving seats for the shows as well. And IMHO, very reasonable in comparison to other parks FoL devices.

Took a quick trip to the park today for a lap on LR. Couldn't stay long because of work. But I also wanted to get a picture of the Inventors Mansion. Yes it is still up! It looks like the are rebuilding a retaining wall on the hill side.

To join in on the MM conversation. IMHO, it it themed so well that that you almost feel like you are on a flat ride more than a coaster. at least until that last drop. That little twist racks me every time. I enjoy the ride but it is second from the bottom of my list at DW.

tunnel.thumb.JPG.66e57e36b7201343304ca2893bc41b00.JPG

Taken 8/19

The best time for the two mountain coasters in Pigeon Forge is at night! Be warned though, if you go right after Dollywood closes, there is usually a huge line. The coaster at Ober Gatlinburg is slow and uneventful, the worst one I have been on.

I rode the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster and the one at Goats on the Roof. I really liked both, but preferred the Smoky Mountain one since it ran faster. One thing to note about Goats is that their night rides are in complete darkness. The Smoky Mountain one has lights illuminated along the track. I didn't get to try the Gatlinburg ones.

We did the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster once during the day and once at night. Night ride was awesome! The line was a LOT longer at night but moved at a steady pace.