TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^^^ Apparently the Christ of Dollywood has spoken! If you go to Dollywood, you will be helped in by the ride op's on everything except Lightning Rod (unless this policy has changed since Sunday, Aug 14 2016). And if the pak has changed their policy in the past day shame on them for taking a step in the wrong direction. Helping people out is what a family based environment is supposed to embrace. Just listen to what Dolly preaches herself.

And injuries should not be apart of that equation. Disney will not in any means help anyone with restraints and definitely do not touch them to check if they're locked for fear of the same problems. This is why at every coaster there are test seats and many many signs posted around the seats and the entrance of the rides themselves encouraging guests of larger stature to try the test seat. Otherwise, Dollywood does not want to ruin the experience by injuring their guests, which in turn would cause them to cut their vacations short and I shall repeat that ALL rides at the park are not allowed to help push down restraints whether you choose to believe those who work there or not. It doesn't change the fact that this can and will cause injuries and will ruin the "Creating Memories Worth Repeating" doctrine of the park more so than it would be if we were to suggest another ride like row 4 on Wild Eagle or Tennessee Tornado.

I don't understand why they can't help push the restraints. I've never been to a park where the employees don't help. When I was at Cedar Point, I saw two employees helping a large guest get his seatbelt on before they put the lap bar down on Millenium Force. On the same trip an operater even put down my restraint for me on Gatekeeper because I had just gotten in the seat that she checks first. How often would someone get injured because the employees helped with the restraints?

Iv never been to a park where the ride ops dont staple me. I am skinny at 5 foot 10 inches and only 180 pounds. Even being skinny every park seems to staple me

Same. I usually have to sit slightly forward and flex my core so hard to keep from being absolutely stapled into my seat to the point of discomfort.

Iv never been to a park where the ride ops dont staple me. I am skinny at 5 foot 10 inches and only 180 pounds. Even being skinny every park seems to staple me

Same. I usually have to sit slightly forward and flex my core so hard to keep from being absolutely stapled into my seat to the point of discomfort.

That's my strategy when I ride the Screamin' Swings. Not because I'm uncomfortable, I just like to be loose on those rides .

Speaking of Screamin' Swings, do ride operators push the lap bars down on Barnstormer?

That's my strategy when I ride the Screamin' Swings. Not because I'm uncomfortable, I just like to be loose on those rides .

Speaking of Screamin' Swings, do ride operators push the lap bars down on Barnstormer?

As far as I can recall, yes. In fact I feel like they don't want you to do anything and they do your entire restraint for you. That's how it was at Silver Dollar City last week and I think it was the same at Dollywood (I should know considering I frequent Dollywood but I can't remember).

I find those S&S restraints harder to fake than most. No matter what I do, they always get them down tighter when they check. A loose ride on a screamin' swing is great though.

Are they just converting/replacing their old mat racer like Six Flags White Water did this year? If so, that's a bummer for me because I can already ride this at White Water and I liked how Splash Country had the classic version with the airtime hops still.

It makes sense to upgrade the slide and I'm sure it'll go over well though.

According to this article, they are not replacing the other racing mat slide.

As far as I can recall, yes. In fact I feel like they don't want you to do anything and they do your entire restraint for you. That's how it was at Silver Dollar City last week and I think it was the same at Dollywood (I should know considering I frequent Dollywood but I can't remember).

I find those S&S restraints harder to fake than most. No matter what I do, they always get them down tighter when they check. A loose ride on a screamin' swing is great though.

Yeah, every Screamin' Swing I've been on (SDC, VF, CP) has the workers push down the restraints. But apparently at Dollywood they can't touch the restraints on any ride

Surprise!

I wonder if the waterpark slide accident in KC is one reason they aren't making a big deal about it right now. Talking about having a tallest slide in the park is probably not what they want to highlight right now.

In other news, the cave and property around it are probably 2018 and beyond for the park. I could see the cave split off in to the new land near the old arcade.

I noticed the other day when I road LR that the crew grabbed the strap on the side of the restraint and pulled up on it to make sure it was locked.

I wonder if the waterpark slide accident in KC is one reason they aren't making a big deal about it right now. Talking about having a tallest slide in the park is probably not what they want to highlight right now.

Doubt it. Nothing like the KC ride.

As to LR restraints, I recall them checking the back in June. Tug the belt, push/pull the bar to ensure both are secure. Same on other rides.

No, they don't push hard, just enough to make sure it's sung and latched.

I've never seen them push hard to get a green light on WE or MM either, but I've watched people trying all sorts of stuff to get it down enough.

Surprise!

In other news, the cave and property around it are probably 2018 and beyond for the park. I could see the cave split off in to the new land near the old arcade.

TailSpin Racer will not be the tallest slide at Splash Country if it is only built at 5 stories high (50 feet). Fire Tower Falls already exceeds that height at 70 feet.

WBIR also called the waterpark "Splash County", so that is probably an inaccurate statement about the 2017 attraction being the tallest.

Is anyone going to the park soon that can post some pictures of the (supposedly demolished) former site of Inventor's Mansion/Rags to Rich's Museum, above the tunnel?

Adam the Woo filmed this recently at Dollywood. The Inventor's Mansion is still standing as of August 16th. See video at 3:14.

Today is August the 16th and Dollywood was closed.. no way Adam the Woo filmed it today

I'll try and swing by the park tomorrow and check.. I plan on going to Dollywood anyways tomorrow

I know it was still standing just a week and half ago so if it was tore down it was sometime last week or even this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just booked a labor day weekend trip to the park from Cleveland. This will be our second try to get on Lightning Rod. Our hotel has free cancellation until Thursday the first at 6 pm.

Any updates on if Lightning Rod is running or not on any given day is really appreciated. This trip is solely for Lightning Rod (and Cinnamon Bread) since we were already there for 2 full days a month ago.

Well you are the only employee (if you are an employee) that follows that rule good sir (except for LR employees)

Actually, I was at the park a couple of weeks ago and they would not help someone on Mystery Mine. They made his family members come over to help.

Adam the Woo filmed this recently at Dollywood. The Inventor's Mansion is still standing as of August 16th. See video at 3:14.

Today is August the 16th and Dollywood was closed.. no way Adam the Woo filmed it today

I'll try and swing by the park tomorrow and check.. I plan on going to Dollywood anyways tomorrow

I know it was still standing just a week and half ago so if it was tore down it was sometime last week or even this weekend.

If you watch toward the end of adam's video you can see the wall up. I think what it is ,is that they took down the ramp going up to the Inventors Mansion and removed all the Rock facade that was between Miss Lillians and the tunnel. The open space that is there now may have played a trick on my mind thinking some other building was there. I would go tomorrow to get pictures, but they are closed on Thursdays now.

Well you are the only employee (if you are an employee) that follows that rule good sir (except for LR employees)

Actually, I was at the park a couple of weeks ago and they would not help someone on Mystery Mine. They made his family members come over to help.

Can also confirm that from a trip in May.

I was there just two weeks ago now I guess and they pushed the lap bar down on someone to try and get that "extra light" to show up.

I spent Sat. and Sun this past week at Dollywood and they wouldn't help push restraints down on Lighting Rod or Mystery Mine. I saw several seatmates have to get up and do the pushing to get the restraints locked.

PS - Lighting Rod was running almost all Sat. afternoon, but with only one train. We got 2 rides with around 30 minute wait each time. The ride is intense and doesn't give you anytime to catch your breath. We left around 3 on Sunday afternoon and it hadn't opened yet, but they were waiting on a lighting delay to open it for the afternoon.

So, I wrote up this huge review on Dollywood and when I tried to post it, I got an error message saying I do not have access to this file. Signed by Rob Alvey.

Man, that really sucked.

Anyway, Dollywood is a great park. Lightning Rod is AWESOME and the cinnamon bread rocks!

We were there last week on Sunday and Thurs.

Any questions?

I spent Sat. and Sun this past week at Dollywood and they wouldn't help push restraints down on Lighting Rod or Mystery Mine. I saw several seatmates have to get up and do the pushing to get the restraints locked.

PS - Lighting Rod was running almost all Sat. afternoon, but with only one train. We got 2 rides with around 30 minute wait each time. The ride is intense and doesn't give you anytime to catch your breath. We left around 3 on Sunday afternoon and it hadn't opened yet, but they were waiting on a lighting delay to open it for the afternoon.

I'd actually wish they didn't push the restraints down on Mystery Mine.. I try to keep my bar a little lose because that thing gets tight and they always come around and push it down tighter