TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Why is that a Guy post? I don't like older women. Or Grand Cougars. Or Grugars. I like Strippers. Not Grand Strippers. Or Grippers. So I would definitely not Ogle Granny, or Ogranny. Now if Granny was 21, Swedish, and a Stripper, then yes, I would ogle her. Or Swestrgle her.

Grand Cougars and Grugers....HAHAHA!

You are too funny, Guy!

They're running two trains today but they're stacking between 4-6 minutes before setting off from the station... I don't understand why operations are so slow here. Been seeing this all around- the ride ops here are so slow.

Thunderhead wasn't stacking today so don't tell me the ride ops are slow.

Everytime I have ridden it the stacking was due to people not being able to get the restraints down far enough. Dollywood can't help you put them down (why Idk, they do it on other rides) so people are always fighting to get them down further

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yea does anyone know the deal with this? My cousin said she went and watched a woman get a green light on the test seat, then had problems in the actual train and had to have her husband stand up and help her. Like they help me on Wild Eagle because I have arthritis in my shoulder and you're in a weird position anyway, but it's hard to reach all the way up then get it all the way down perfectly, then get the seatbelt. So WE ops help and they're always nice about it. LR from what I've heard is like "Oh you need help, well you can either struggle and have people look at you or gtfo"

HOLY MOTHER OF AIRTIME Lightning Rod is amazing!!! Just got off!

Best wood coaster in the States? I think many will think so. The main feeling I got from it was that it felt like it got faster and faster and the airtime got stronger and stronger all the way up to the end. Brilliant coaster. Absolutely brilliant.

^I agree! I was lucky enough to ride it 5 times back around July 1st, and it was absolutely amazing! Especially at night.

I just rode Outlaw Run and comparing the two, I was expecting Outlaw Run to have the edge but after riding both they are both so close to being perfect and Lightning Rod may just have the edge. I really can't decide for certain but the launch and two doses of airtime at the top of the hill beat the lift and drop for Outlaw Run, and the quad down on Lightning Rod is possibly the best stretch of coaster I've ever experienced.

So it's been consistently open for about a week now, right? I'm scared to say too much in case I jinx it again, lol.

I ended up with some down time the last couple of weeks and I would have scheduled a trip to head over there if I knew it would be open, but maybe I'll figure something out next summer.

I think operations will be slow for the remainder of this season. I'll bet they are going to be very cautious with it, plus it's not like the staff has been able to get very broken in on normal operations. As long as it's actually running I'm happy.

Not surprised this would have an edge on OR for most enthusiasts. This thing was built for airtime bliss while OR is kind of a demonstration of the crazy elements they can pull off with this tech.

For those who have ridden this week, did Lightening rod open with the park? My family and I are going on Saturday, and typically head to Mystery Mine and Fire chaser first. I know some of the mornings it opened around 10:30am. Should I go pick out a spot in line or just hit the rest of the park and see where it's at later in the day? Thanks! (I know most have reported 30-40 minutes usually, that's what I'm hoping for but on a Saturday could be busier?)

^It opened right around 10:30 today with 2 trains. Then went down to 1 after operating for about an hour. The wait was consistently around 30 minutes all day until the last 90 minutes of park hours where it went down to like 5. The ride went down a couple of times, but for the most part it was open all day. I would say just get in line early and wait it out. They had it up and running fairly quickly today and now seem to be finding their rhythm.

At the park today with the family. Waited 45 minutes for lightening rod, single train operation. Everything else is 5-10 minutes. What an incredible experience. We did the last row and loved it. I felt the bump at the bottom of the hill which was noticeable but everything else was perfect. Amazing roller coaster hoping to get one more ride today.

In line for my third lap. Easily top 3 wooden coaster on my list. Sitting in the odd row really helped with those two bumps. The quad down is intense, I love it. Single train operation every time, 20 and 30 minute wait on these last two. Operations around the park were okay, mystery mine was stacking quite a bit along with wild eagle. (Over the last 10 years I've come to expect that here on some of the rides) but overall hot but amazing day. Hoping you guys get to ride it on your upcoming trips!

I felt the jolts in the same places as well, but, like everyone said, if you sit on the odd rows, it seems to disappear. Aside from that, LR is easily my top wooden coaster, and 2nd favorite out of every coaster, behind Fury 325.

All of this positive Lightning Rod news has me quietly excited again for the coaster! I might need to plan a trip in mid-September.

How are crowds during weekends in September past labor day? I tried searching back to last year and didn't find many reports.

^After school starts, Sundays are the way to go especially if you can get there right as the park opens. Most of the weekend tourists go on Saturday, and the locals do not show up until after church lets out.

Thanks for the intel. September is usually a great time to go for any park but maybe Dollywood had it's own little quirks. I'm praying that Lightning Rod will take me to church on a Sunday morning.

For the heck of it, i've been contemplating the reasons that Dollywood op's are basically banned from touching the restraints on LR. The only logical theory i can come up with is the the two inner metal posts of the lap bars leave pretty much zero space between them. That makes for a very easy area (if somebody were to have their hand in the wrong place) where a potential serious injury could occur. Broken fingers, a whole hand, smaller kids even an arm. It's a crushing hazard, similar to the spot on the head rests of alot of Intamin's with the arrows pointing "DO NOT PLACE HANDS HERE". It could be Dollywood's way of having less liability in the event of such an accident. I've only been able to get on LR twice, i'll have to pay more attention to the instruction signs posted on the seat backs next time i ride. Anyway, seems like a plausible guess to me. Anyone who has been on a RMC train should get what i'm saying. And a question, do the op's push down the bars on Outlaw Run? Just curious being sister parks and all, i have unfortunately not had the pleasure of visiting SDC yet.

I've been on my fair share of RMCs and on all they tell everyone to put their arms up and then they check the restraints.

I have a few questions,

When do 2017 Season Passes go on sale?

How much will a regular season pass cost once they go on sale? (Not including Splash Country)

Will I be able to get into this years Smoky Mountain Christmas event with a 2017 pass?

Is the Christmas event crowded, do all the coasters run in cold weather, and is it worth a 4 hour drive?