TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Can't do that with the little ones, we also will have a cooler with drinks and some snacks (yes we are planning on cinnamon bread) so we will need somewhat easy access to the car

Can't do that with the little ones, we also will have a cooler with drinks and some snacks (yes we are planning on cinnamon bread) so we will need somewhat easy access to the car

How little? It's a steep climb uphill from the gate to the preferred lot.

If you're talking stroller age, I'd go regular lot and get there early, or spring for valet.

Edited by STDog

Do any local grocery stores sell discounted tickets? Also if anyone could answer how much is regular parking and preferred parking? We are headed there in the morning from lafollet Tenn.

Or you could park at Patriots Park for FREE and ride the trolley in for $0.50/person. Drops you off right at the front gate and you don't have to hassle with the huge parking lot. LINK

The downside is that you won't be able to go back to your car and sip moonshine.

Do any local grocery stores sell discounted tickets? Also if anyone could answer how much is regular parking and preferred parking? We are headed there in the morning from lafollet Tenn.

Or you could park at Patriots Park for FREE and ride the trolley in for $0.50/person. Drops you off right at the front gate and you don't have to hassle with the huge parking lot. LINK

This is what I'm planning to do when I go! It was going to be this year, but it looks like it'll be next year now!

If you're talking stroller age, I'd go regular lot and get there early, or spring for valet.

Most tram stops will be closer to your car than preferred parking

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Someone said they had to close it down today because someone had broken one of the gates. If that's true, this is why you don't lean on the entrance gates. I see kids leaning on them, swinging from them and everything. I'm talking about the ones that actually open and close.

The gate wasn't technically broken.

It's hard to get the truth out of the people working the rides as they are told not to give out a lot of information about breakdowns. However, after several hours in line and the fact that the attendants are over these issues that have plagued LR since it's inception I got some answers.

There is nothing wrong with the ride itself, nothing. There was a recall on a part, but aside from that, nothing. The issue with the gates is that this particular set is EXTREMELY sensitive, basically if someone as much as presses on the gate and it moves more than an inch the computer thinks that someone has came through the safety gate and the ride comes to a complete halt. They are working to get this issue resolved, but it doesn't sound like something that couldn't be done over the course of a couple of days by just replacing the gate system or modifying it.

Disclaimer: The following statement has no credible evidence to support it (ie from the Dippin' Dots guy, hostess at Aunt Granny's, Granny Ogle, or Miss Lillian) it is merely speculation and or hearsay and all in good fun:

The gate thing actually makes sense. From what I understand Outlaw Run also has very sensitive gates, causing the ride to shutdown if they are slightly pushed. I had also heard that if the train enters the brake run at a higher speed than expected it will also cause the ride to shutdown. This may be the reason for the conservative weight allowance, only allowing 20 riders at a time.

They still have a little work to do it looks like, but regardless, the ride is running fairly reliable and delivering fantastic rides. Night rides are phenomenal. We went Friday night, and almost returned again over the weekend for more.

Most tram stops will be closer to your car than preferred parking

Don't know about closer, but definitely easier to reach.

even if 3x the distance it'd feel closer.

Unless your in lot F, most of the tram stops are definitely closer than the preferred parking lot ha-ha. That's a steep hill and even without the hill it's a long walk (not super long but still long). now F has some slots far away but for the past few weeks F hasn't even been open unless it's a Sat.. at least when I am there

Anyone going now through sept 5th can get an adult ticket online for the same price as a child. Makes it 52 instead of 65. If you come after 3pm you can get he next day free and get two days for 52. Not a bad deal!

That's a great deal, we are supposed to be going around the 27th and doing two days so that's perfect.

I was at the park today it was a bit to hot to be there with kids. Pretty much only rode Lightning Rod and left. I rode around 2. They ran 2 trains the whole time with a 40 minute wait for me. I paid closer attention to normal to what was going on in the station they seemed really uptight about the gates so I could see what was said being true.

My thoughts on the ride and my first RMC?

A TEN A FU**ing TEN!

It was so intense and everything was just a blur while it tries to fling you from the train. Nothing by ejector air at warp speed. I only got one ride but I'm pretty sure it is now my favorite.

Anybody think it's worth the risk of booking a 2 night stay over Labor day weekend just to drive down from Cleveland to ride Lightning Rod? We were there at the end of July. I feel like maybe I should wait to see that it's still running consistently till like the last week of this month.

Does anybody think that (assuming no more part recalls) it's pretty much going to be running everyday now?

Anybody think it's worth the risk of booking a 2 night stay over Labor day weekend just to drive down from Cleveland to ride Lightning Rod? We were there at the end of July. I feel like maybe I should wait to see that it's still running consistently till like the last week of this month.

Does anybody think that (assuming no more part recalls) it's pretty much going to be running everyday now?

If you will enjoy the rest of the park w/o Lightning Rod, go for it. If you're going to throw a temper tantrum if Lightning Rod is down, skip it. We've seen enough people whining abut "wasted trips" already....

At this point I think we are barley at a week straight of lightning rod "running". My trip is on Saturday and I'm not holding my breath. If it's going to ruin your trip if Lightning Rod is closed, I'd hold off. With the technical rehearsal banner still everywhere on the Dollywood website, it seems risky. But if it's worth the risk and another adventure to take before summer comes to a close, go for it! As of right now you have better odds than you did last month! I am excited just to see Dollywood again this weekend...but also really hoping to get a lap or two on Lightning Rod.

No one can predict how the ride will be running then. Like you said, I would recommend waiting until much closer to Labor Day weekend.

Disclaimer: The following statement has no credible evidence to support it (ie from the Dippin' Dots guy, hostess at Aunt Granny's, Granny Ogle, or Miss Lillian) it is merely speculation and or hearsay and all in good fun:

I know this sounds like a Guy post, but does anyone else think that they should rename Granny Ogle to Ogle Granny?

Got a ride on lightning rod this morning... Wow. What a feeling this thing gives you. So many ejector moments. The people calling the wave turn lackluster, you're mental. Even that had insane airtime. This ride had the strongest airtime I've ever felt, this was my first RMC (been on i305, maverick, some others) . Nothing comes close to this.

We got in line at opening and didn't get on until almost 2 hours later. With a growing line, we decided to just get one ride today.

This is a beautiful park with a unique atmosphere. Operations were really slow all around, but we had such a great day anyway. The log flume and pathway around the splash battle were a real life saver today- can't wait to get back tomorrow.

Book a refundable hotel or better yet, a hotel that does not charge your card until you check in (just make sure to cancel by the cancellation date so you aren't charged).

They're running two trains today but they're stacking between 4-6 minutes before setting off from the station... I don't understand why operations are so slow here. Been seeing this all around- the ride ops here are so slow.

Really? Every time that I've been to Dollywood (about 20 times in the last 6 years) operations have been very solid. They have never been the quickest, but they've never been slow.

Everytime I have ridden it the stacking was due to people not being able to get the restraints down far enough. Dollywood can't help you put them down (why Idk, they do it on other rides) so people are always fighting to get them down further

They're running two trains today but they're stacking between 4-6 minutes before setting off from the station... I don't understand why operations are so slow here. Been seeing this all around- the ride ops here are so slow.

Really? Every time that I've been to Dollywood (about 20 times in the last 6 years) operations have been very solid. They have never been the quickest, but they've never been slow.

They are usually solid but LR has strange policies compared to other rides at Dollywood.. They treat it like most coasters are treated at Disney.. "show me your seatbelt is locked" "push up on your bar for me so I can see it's locked. I can't touch it" stuff like that which slows them down IMO

But yeah I am surprised your seeing it being slow on other rides..