TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I envision the rest of this year going like it has been so far. Operates a little almost everyday. People get to ride and maybe as the season goes on the reliability will go up. If it does or not, I can definitely see them spending the couple months that they aren't open making little adjustments and testing them over and over again until they get it right, leading into the 2017 season.

Just my opinion.

Dollywood should at least train it's employees better since they are consistently giving out mixed information.

Guy at the ticket booth: LR should be open today, I don't see a reason for it not to open.

Maintenance guy: It won't open today or tomorrow

Operator at Wild Eagle: Sometimes they have that sign on but open the coaster by the end of the day

Another park employee: It says on our website that the coaster is not open today

Guest relations: It's definitely not going to open today or tomorrow. The coaster is closed indefinitely.

And they all used the technical rehearsal excuse for the coaster not being open, as if the people were to blame for showing up at the park expecting to ride the coaster. Guest relations even told me that the coaster never officially open and it's still under the manufacturer responsibility and that they were just following what the manufacturer said.

For years when enthusiasts or the general public proposed new coasters idea, a launched wooden coaster was mocked as unfeasible.

I recall the same about wooden coasters and inversions too. It just couldn't be done and a myriad of reasons why.

No, it's not. Launch systems are the same regardless if steel or wood coasters and have been around for 20 years or so (see flight of fear using LSM's...)

But nothing about this technology is really new.

Right, that's why there are so many many wooden coasters with LSM/LIM launches out there. Every park has one now right?

There actually is the new power system in this. I've not heard of another that uses switched banks of capacitors to supply the launch power.

Solid state energy storage and management system

https://www.google.com/patents/US20150091478?cl=en

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150402ptan20150091478.php

I don't think they could simply close it for awhile at this point. So many people bought passes because of this ride. At least at this point there's a chance a person could get a ride or two in. They can basically pretend it's been open all summer... At least that's one possible reasoning. Personally, I think I'd rather have it functional or not and know for sure (with the usual stipulations at least).

This whole situation is a joke that is getting less funny by the day. I don't take issue with the suggestion that they should simply close it until it can be marginally reliable. It's starting to feel very unprofessional on their part to let it continue to operate so erratically. Their FB page and other review sites are filled with complaints about people tired of playing games with park management about whether or not it will be open after spending hundreds on a trip based around riding it. Even all the enthusiasts reviews mention how lucky they were to get a ride or two in after repeatedly waiting and having to check back multiple times throughout the day.

There have been other examples of rough openings, Dragster being a big one, but this is starting to feel different. People were more understanding with Dragster because it was such a big and new thing, and it was way back in 2003 when it was so much more of a standout world famous attraction. We're about half way through the "official" summer season, and a month away from schools starting up again. If it's still like this at the end of summer it will be a pretty major fail.

Sounds vaguely familiar to the Timber Tower fiasco. Up, down, up, down, girl scouts stuck for hours with a Fire Dept rescue that made for big news headlines, up, down, a lawsuit against Huss, ride removed, picnic tables put in its place, and now a stage! Hoping it doesn't come to that! Dollywood doesn't need this again!

Curious, you said one or two. Out of how many?

I've been on it 8 times. My first ride (this was the 2nd day it operated with public on it) had the underwhelming launch. One Saturday, I was able to ride five times throughout the day and one of them was on Train #1 and it had a noticeable decrease in speed on it.

Let me add something as a moderator of the forum:

There is a fair amount of negative posts towards Dollywood and Lightning Rod that are remaining in this thread and not being deleted. You can not say that we are censoring this thread and only allowing positive posts. People are allowed to complain (as long as it is respectable towards other posters and the park) just as people are allowed to complain about your complaining posts within the same respect. If you are going to call out how this thread and the forum is being run, then your post is going bye-bye.

Most of you probably don't have a clue why I am posting this, but the ones that have had their posts disappear do. Stop it.

Edited by ernierocker

Their FB page and other review sites are filled with complaints about people tired of playing games with park management about whether or not it will be open after spending hundreds on a trip based around riding it. Even all the enthusiasts reviews mention how lucky they were to get a ride or two in after repeatedly waiting and having to check back multiple times throughout the day.

We will be there this coming sunday and monday. We spent hundreds of dollars on the trip just like people you referenced and we don't have the option to reschedule.

We were at Dollywood last year and while it is a fantastic, amazing park, Lightning Rod is really the main reason for us coming back so soon. We are only hoping to get one or two rides on LR during those two days, and it's pretty sad that there's reason to doubt that that will even happen.

If we don't get to ride it, we will probably be one of those complaints. They should've taken the time earlier in the season to absolutely make sure it was ready, instead of doing all this technical rehearsal crap and giving people who are traveling and spending a lot of money (that could be spent at other parks) a lot of stress and anxiety because there is so much doubt about getting a ride on LR. For the amount of money people are giving to the park, they should be assured that there is a very high chance that, unless there is something completely out of the ordinary that happens, they'll get a ride on it.

I love Dollywood but this is really, really putting a dark shadow over it. Whether that is a reasonable statement or not, I don't really care. That's just how I see it.

I realize that this is all stuff you've all probably heard before but I just needed to rant. Despite all I've said, I do have a little bit confidence that I'll get a ride on LR... even if I have to wait more than a couple hours for it.

End rant.

Edited by bluestreak

^^ I'm not sure who that's directed at but I do want to point out that if anything I said at any point was taken as negative towards the mods that wasn't the intention. If I had to moderate this thread it would drive me to drink...

I don't envy you guys. You have more patience than I do (or more alcohol than I do. And I'm that case I do envy you).

For years when enthusiasts or the general public proposed new coasters idea, a launched wooden coaster was mocked as unfeasible.

I recall the same about wooden coasters and inversions too. It just couldn't be done and a myriad of reasons why.

No, it's not. Launch systems are the same regardless if steel or wood coasters and have been around for 20 years or so (see flight of fear using LSM's...)

But nothing about this technology is really new.

Right, that's why there are so many many wooden coasters with LSM/LIM launches out there. Every park has one now right?

Thank you STDog, for better clarifying/elaborating on more thoughts.

I should have clearly stated that applying the existing technology to wood (versus steel) is a "new application of existing technology" instead of calling it "new technology".

Edited by larrygator

^^ I'm not sure who that's directed at but I do want to point out that if anything I said at any point was taken as negative towards the mods that wasn't the intention. If I had to moderate this thread it would drive me to drink...

I don't envy you guys. You have more patience than I do (or more alcohol than I do. And I'm that case I do envy you).

I don't get to keep up with this thread like I used to, but my best response is to reiterate what Elissa said a while back:

Guys, everyone really does need to pull it together in this thread.

If you don't like a joke, ignore it.

If you feel a different way than a certain poster, feel free to write back your opinion in a respectful manner.

If you're writing to a director of a park, show some respect.

If you're writing to a park employee, show some respect.

If you're writing to a moderator, show some respect.

If you're writing to any other human being, show some respect.

Why does everyone have to be so full of hate online? It's really sad. You're all arguing over a roller coaster / amusement park / forum!!! Just try and have fun and stop hating on everything.

I will continue to support Dollywood in all of this. It isn't sucking up, it is just me hoping that these delays can be eliminated sooner than later because they have an elite ride here. If you want to take this situation to an extreme level that is fine but remember there are several rides in the industry that have had far worst outcomes. Rides that never opened or actually caused serious injuries or deaths. Don't get me wrong, I emphasize with those of you that do not live near the park and don't have the luxury to be patient with the events that are unfolding. Let's just remember that we are talking about a roller coaster and show each other respect. Thank you.

Edited by ernierocker

I'm going to be at Dollywood next Wednesday & Thursday! While LR is a big draw I haven't been to the park sine 2006. I can't wait to get some new credits in especially Mystery Mine (I've been dying to ride this for some reason, maybe because they built it the year after I went lol) plus Wild Eagle will be my first B&M Winged coaster. Now the weather just has to cooperate!

For the amount of money people are giving to the park, they should be assured they'll get a ride on it.

Name one park that guarantees any coaster on any particular day.

I've never heard of one. Every park website I've ever seen says rides are subject to closure at any point.

What if there was an accident that shut it down for weeks just before you arrived?

What if a freak of nature closed? We already had a flash flood this year.

Should you still be assured you'll get to ride?

Cycling the ride under normal conditions is more likely to generate worthwhile data than sitting prone and running the occasional test train.

I get people's frustrations and demands for more/better information. I personally wonder if this will push Herschend to go more "orthodox" with their ride buying strategies moving forwards.

I personally wonder if this will push Herschend to go more "orthodox" with their ride buying strategies moving forwards.

I hope not. WE and LR were not orthodox. Both are great rides, and LR will get the kinks worked out.

And fitting the rides to the topography/environment is not orthodox.

For the amount of money people are giving to the park, they should be assured they'll get a ride on it.

Name one park that guarantees any coaster on any particular day.

I've never heard of one. Every park website I've ever seen says rides are subject to closure at any point.

What if there was an accident that shut it down for weeks just before you arrived?

What if a freak of nature closed? We already had a flash flood this year.

Should you still be assured you'll get to ride?

I should edit that. What I mean is that the ride should be open for most of everyday. If there is something out of the ordinary that happens and it cannot open then thats completely understandable. We could deal with it being closed then.

But if it's a normal sunny day and there is no accidents or part recalls then we should all be assured a very high chance to ride.

And I just edited my original post to reflect what I just said. Sorry for the confusion.

I should edit that. What I mean is that the ride should be open for most of everyday. If there is something out of the ordinary that happens and it cannot open then thats completely understandable. We could deal with it being closed then.

I just would never, ever plan a trip to a park based on one ride.

There is always a chance that it will go down and be down a while.

Some rides are finicky, some are maintenance headaches, I just have bad luck, etc.

I go hoping several will be open, but knowing I may not ride.

That was the case in March at DW, and the same was true in June. Both were planned nearly 2 months out.

The June trip we went on Thu/Fri (a week after the flood) instead of earlier in the week hoping they'd get it up, but knowing it likely wouldn't be.

The timing in June was happenstance. Normally we would have been there a week earlier (when school let out) but needed to be in town for other stuff this year.

I've also passed on rides because of lines, and I'm not paying that much extra for FastPass/Q2Q stuff.

I used the included stuff at Disney, and it was nice, but I wouldn't pay extra.

Thank you for posting the patent. (https://www.google.com/patents/US20150091478?cl=en)

Now I understand something I didn't before. Launched coasters have always required a very high amount of power for the launch, which either required a very VERY expensive high-capacity electrical service (which you draw heavily on when you launch), or the use of a large, heavy (and apparently, occasionally dangerous) flywheel to store energy from a lower capacity service.

This newly patented technology uses, for the first time, banks of 'ultra capacitors' to store the energy supplied from a more affordable electrical service and release it during the launch.

This is revolutionary, as it, when perfected, may well enable launched rides to be built in places and for costs that will increase the variety and availability of launched rides, including roller coasters, around the world.

I have a trip to DW (from California) scheduled next month, and of course I was confused about why a launched coaster could be so problematic. Now I see that this innovation goes well beyond wooden coasters, and may enable new types of rides to become a practical reality for parks large and small.

If I miss it, it will be a big disappointment, no doubt. But now I see why Herschend, RMC, and Velocity Magnetics are partnering to do this. If I had to speculate, budgets, infrastructure and/or safety concerns may well mean Lightning Rod would not exist if it could only be built in the conventional way.

If the launch system is currently not the issue, and the restraints are, then at least I still respect the innovation in the launch design.

2 - the downtime has been beyond silly for "new technology". There doesn't even seem like a reason to promote it as OPEN IN 2016 when at this point the regular 2016 season is almost half over and you could probably fit the total run time into one week or so.

I get that they are very different rides but I love how Thorpe Park's world's first dark ride was delayed as well and has only just opened for it's very first riders and that thread has maybe, barely, one page about it and yet this thread has 100's for a world's first that has at least had quite a few technical rehearsals and a lot of riders gets a couple of thread pages a day.

I get that they are very different rides but I love how Thorpe Park's world's first dark ride was delayed as well and has only just opened for it's very first riders and that thread has maybe, barely, one page about it and yet this thread has 100's for a world's first that has at least had quite a few technical rehearsals and a lot of riders gets a couple of thread pages a day.

Also Thorpe announced two opening dates and planned two passholder previews and cancelled them with short notice, but Thorpe obviously doesn't have the presence that Dollywood does. Dollywood are handling the situation better, yes Ghost Train has now opened (although it seems to be experiencing its fair share of breakdowns, as you'd expect), but at least when Dollywood knew it would be late opening they didn't announce a new opening date without knowing if it would be ready or not. Disney never do a 'Grand Opening' day for their attractions, they soft open and test and adjust from there, it's a sound practice and the guests that get to ride have it as an added bonus, not a disappointment, more parks should use this approach in my opinion.

Also Thorpe announced two opening dates and planned two passholder previews and cancelled them with short notice, but Thorpe obviously doesn't have the presence that Dollywood does. Dollywood are handling the situation better, yes Ghost Train has now opened (although it seems to be experiencing its fair share of breakdowns, as you'd expect), but at least when Dollywood knew it would be late opening they didn't announce a new opening date without knowing if it would be ready or not. Disney never do a 'Grand Opening' day for their attractions, they soft open and test and adjust from there, it's a sound practice and the guests that get to ride have it as an added bonus, not a disappointment, more parks should use this approach in my opinion.

But Disney is also open year-round. Seasonal parks want their rides to be open and ready when the new season begins.