TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Odd, I didn't think they let adults ride tandem like that.

As long as your combined weight is under 375 pounds in dry conditions (330 wet weather).

Didn't know that. I've ridden the two on Wears Valley Rd a bunch and don't recall ever seeing 2 adults on one car.

Only ever seen kids in the front.

Yeah.. I'm gonna go ahead and reschedule my Dollywood trip for '17.

That's what we did.

That's what I'm doing too! I'm taking the $200 just on tickets I'm saving not going to Thrills in the Hills, and am either going to go to SDC for my Birthday weekend, or maybe PPP in October. Maybe both! lol

Assuming I don't die before next year, however, I WILL get down to Dollywood finally, and ride all the goodies that it has to offer (and eat the the Cinnamon Bread, of course!) Hopefully LR is running a little more consistently at that point as well...

From a family standpoint these two coasters are awesome with the lowered height restrictions. The look in my 7 year old (Klaire) who's 50 1/2" when she heard she could ride a coaster (Wild Eagle- 50" height restriction) that usually only daddy goes on was awesome! And the smile on her face for the whole ride and hearing her giggle was incredible.

Mine was 8.5 when she first went to any park or rode a real coaster. It was Dollywood, Nov 2012 and WE was her favorite at the time.

I think it still is, even though she really like LR last month.

She wouldn't ride the outside seats, but did ride both sides.

She will now

It took me 3 years to get her to ride MM, TT, or BS again though. TH and WE were it til FCE.

Do they still take pics at 2 places on WE? She only got one on the photo card in June, but maybe the guy screwed up.

edit: Ugh, no small thumbnail option...

PS, at 50" she can ride everything in the park.

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I only seen the one place for pics on WE, maybe someone who frequents more can specify.

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I only seen the one place for pics on WE, maybe someone who frequents more can specify.

As you can see, in 2012 they had cameras in 2 places.

There were put on a flash drive at the WE kiosk.

The pic from this year was labeled 2nd camera. I was thinking the LR photo guy screwed up and only added one pic, not realizing there were 2 cameras. But they may only use one camera now.

Lightning Rod is closed today.

SHOCK!

Ok - my two cents - I rode it finally last week. It was great coaster BUT:

The lift for Wild Eagle - while certainly not as fast, was quite speedy, and I think a "high speed" chain lift would have worked just as well for a few reasons:

1 - the launch REALLY feels like it "dies" when the LIMs stop close to the hill - to the point that the crest almost felt anti-climactic.

2 - the downtime has been beyond silly for "new technology". There doesn't even seem like a reason to promote it as OPEN IN 2016 when at this point the regular 2016 season is almost half over and you could probably fit the total run time into one week or so.

3 - the need to be "first" as a marketing tool has given them nothing to market (or a product to market that isn't really there for most of the customers) leading to lost (or delayed revenue and poor publicity of the park, and Im sure playing hell with payroll. You have ride attendants show up for a shift - only to be sent home (or other places) in a few hours because the ride has so much down time.

4 - It doesn't even seem like it is only the lift for a lot of these problems so maybe other issues were at play, but really...what is so NEW about any of this? A LIM launch? The fact that it goes uphill? The fact that it is on wood? Im not being pissy - really just asking... what about this ride is so "new" that is has caused this much delay?

4 - It doesn't even seem like it is only the lift for a lot of these problems so maybe other issues were at play, but really...what is so NEW about any of this? A LIM launch? The fact that it goes uphill? The fact that it is on wood? Im not being pissy - really just asking... what about this ride is so "new" that is has caused this much delay?

To me, it sounds as if the biggest issue was the decision of who to source the LIM launch from.

To me, it sounds as if the biggest issue was the decision of who to source the LIM launch from.

Velocity Magnetic's first launch. A bit over ambitious of them no?

1 - the launch REALLY feels like it "dies" when the LIMs stop close to the hill - to the point that the crest almost felt anti-climactic.

I think this is the main problem. I have had one or two rides that are similar to what you are describing, but the majority of them, the launch is much stronger and it makes a difference in a fun ride and a holyballsairtime ride.

It probably could make it through the circuit with a fast lift hill, but for the ride to be experienced as designed, the launch is completely necessary rather gimmicky or not.

I think this is the main problem. I have had one or two rides that are similar to what you are describing, but the majority of them, the launch is much stronger and it makes a difference in a fun ride and a holyballsairtime ride.

I only rode twice, but both were the stronger versions. I've been confused reading others state the launch let off.

Good to see a post that confirms I wasn't imagining it and there actually is some inconsistency.

Curious, you said one or two. Out of how many?

For years when enthusiasts or the general public proposed new coasters idea, a launched wooden coaster was mocked as unfeasible.

RMC plans to build one and there is much rejoicing and what was previously thought of as unfeasible is celebrated.

Guess what? It is still new technology and new technology is subject to problems. Even if the problem is not specific to the launch mechanics the dynamic nature of the launch could cause problems elsewhere. Advanced computer modeling and virtual testing have eliminated a vast majority of issues that might have plagued rides in the past but the expectation that new technology and advancements will be perfect every time is unrealistic.

Guess what? It is still new technology and new technology is subject to problems.

No, it's not. Launch systems are the same regardless if steel or wood coasters and have been around for 20 years or so (see flight of fear using LSM's...)

I don't get why people think because it's a "wooden" coaster that the launch is different. It's not. Uphill? See Mummy, California Screamin' and whatever else launches up a hill.

I don't personally buy that excuse, but that's me. Obviously a design fault somewhere.

For years when enthusiasts or the general public proposed new coasters idea, a launched wooden coaster was mocked as unfeasible.

RMC plans to build one and there is much rejoicing and what was previously thought of as unfeasible is celebrated.

Guess what? It is still new technology and new technology is subject to problems. Even if the problem is not specific to the launch mechanics the dynamic nature of the launch could cause problems elsewhere. Advanced computer modeling and virtual testing have eliminated a vast majority of issues that might have plagued rides in the past but the expectation that new technology and advancements will be perfect every time is unrealistic.

But nothing about this technology is really new.

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I am planning a trip to Dollywood on the Monday the 18th of this month. Is it worth it to purchase the Time Saver passes on a Monday? I have never been to Dollywood and would appreciate any suggestions!

I'd definitely wait until you get there before getting Time Saver passes. They are great, but you might not need them at all. I've found that even if Dollywood looks SUPER Crowded - the lines for the rides can often be minimal. A lot of folks go there for the food, shows, crafts, food, scenery, food, etc.....

But nothing about this technology is really new.

This is not really true. Engineers working on the ride told me that the design of this system uses significantly less power than other linear motor launches. That's an important consideration for parks and I'm certain it's part of the reason DW and RMC selected this provider.

LInear motor launches are obviously not as simple as slapping magnetic coils on a track and launching a train, so I would not presume to know anything about the underlying technology and what may be causing these issues. But that's me...