TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

2:45. 2 trains. Seems to be consistent operation. Now after almost 5 month delay and three trips I can say we did it. Awesome ride. Have to do it again to really get a feel for it. So much happens so fast. Few details (and I know the focus has just been on getting the damn thing to run, but worth pointing out because they are the details that take it from ride to "themed attraction" sound effects were not on today. Or at least for as long as I was in earshot. Queue looks AWESOME with all the details but I'm concerned they cheaped out on the construction. Most all of the surface treatment is styro and stucco which is already being damaged- especially where they used that instead of concrete for the window ledges. Those areas are going to get way too much wear with people leaving on them to be made of that. The queue has seem very limited traffic and a lot of the finishes are already damaged. Most of this is character paint with washes that won't be easy to just "touch up". Good thing it's supposed to be a grungy factory because I'm afraid it will look like that sooner than later.

And this is why you stick it out after a T-storm. Practically a walk on.

***edited just to say, 2 train operation after t-storm. Yesterday was 2 train operation and went down once at 3:30 but that was for brake run issues. Can't speak for today as I had my family enjoying the waterpark. But man she is wicked fun at night!!

image.thumb.jpg.0c5d4b2cd270e254c64cc4f266087818.jpg

Sounds like the ride is figuratively out of the woods now. I guess we can start slowing down the obsessing over the daily operations now, lol. I was watching with bated breath just to see if crap would really hit the fan with the launch problems, but it looks like disaster has been avoided.

All said and done, this saga certainly didn't leave DW unmarred. It wasn't the "no one will care when it's finally open" scenario many were hoping for back when problems first started surfacing. This will be a memorable ride commissioning for both enthusiasts and the DW patrons who had to deal with it. Ultimately DW has a winner on its hands though and time will heal all wounds.

What I really think will be interesting is to see the next launched RMC coaster get built. It will probably be bigger, better, and won't have any of the problems that LR faced. Which brings me back to what I asked many months ago: is it really worth it anymore to be the 'first'?

All said and done, this saga certainly didn't leave DW unmarred. It wasn't the "no one will care when it's finally open" scenario many were hoping for back when problems first started surfacing. This will be a memorable ride commissioning for both enthusiasts and the DW patrons who had to deal with it. Ultimately DW has a winner on its hands though and time will heal all wounds.

It's not fair to say that when the ride has barely been running for a week. I think DW will be fine, and not "marred" in any way. It a roller coaster. And folks will ride it this year, next year, 5 years from now, and not care it opened in July despite how ridiculous opening the ride was.

Dollywood isn't the only park to open their new coaster this late into 2016. There is at least one still not open! Sadly summer openings seem to becoming the norm everywhere. But hey, the fall is one of the best times to hit theme parks anyways

My mind is drawing a blank... which coaster hasn't opened yet?

What do y'all think they will do during the off-season? Think they will do a bunch of fine tuning the launch components (er, exponents) or will they do something more in depth? Would they even dare getting a new launch system? That seems rather extreme, but the status-quo is not good enough.

What do y'all think they will do during the off-season? Think they will do a bunch of fine tuning the launch components (er, exponents) or will they do something more in depth? Would they even dare getting a new launch system? That seems rather extreme, but the status-quo is not good enough.

Honestly, it hardly seems like the launch is the main problem at this point. They've been closing seats because of restraints, etc. even after the cylinder recall and replacement.

Guess i had a really lucky 2 1/2 days at the park then. Overall got in 8 rides over those 2.5 days. Not bad considering one full day at waterpark. I got a ride in early today after it opened at 11. Not sure what time it went down, but was only running one train.

Call me crazy here, but hear me out. While yes the park has a great coaster with Lightning Rod, the true hidden gems are Firechaser and Wild Eagle. From a family standpoint these two coasters are awesome with the lowered height restrictions. The look in my 7 year old (Klaire) who's 50 1/2" when she heard she could ride a coaster (Wild Eagle- 50" height restriction) that usually only daddy goes on was awesome! And the smile on her face for the whole ride and hearing her giggle was incredible. The same goes for my 4 year old (Miranda) who's just shy of 42" was delighted and very happy/excited to ride fire chaser express.

image.thumb.jpg.50b5e00a87affc8ecf8455605167311b.jpg

Guess i had a really lucky 2 1/2 days at the park then. Overall got in 8 rides over those 2.5 days. Not bad considering one full day at waterpark. I got a ride in early today after it opened at 11. Not sure what time it went down, but was only running one train.

Call me crazy here, but hear me out. While yes the park has a great coaster with Lightning Rod, the true hidden gems are Firechaser and Wild Eagle. From a family standpoint these two coasters are awesome with the lowered height restrictions. The look in my 7 year old (Klaire) who's 50 1/2" when she heard she could ride a coaster (Wild Eagle- 50" height restriction) that usually only daddy goes on was awesome! And the smile on her face for the whole ride and hearing her giggle was incredible. The same goes for my 4 year old (Miranda) who's just shy of 42" was delighted and very happy/excited to ride fire chaser express.

Awesome to hear you got 8 rides in plus had a great time with your kids on some of the other coasters! Also, I like your t-shirt

From a family standpoint these two coasters are awesome with the lowered height restrictions. The look in my 7 year old (Klaire) who's 50 1/2" when she heard she could ride a coaster (Wild Eagle- 50" height restriction) that usually only daddy goes on was awesome! And the smile on her face for the whole ride and hearing her giggle was incredible.

Mine was 8.5 when she first went to any park or rode a real coaster. It was Dollywood, Nov 2012 and WE was her favorite at the time.

I think it still is, even though she really like LR last month.

She wouldn't ride the outside seats, but did ride both sides.

She will now

It took me 3 years to get her to ride MM, TT, or BS again though. TH and WE were it til FCE.

Do they still take pics at 2 places on WE? She only got one on the photo card in June, but maybe the guy screwed up.

edit: Ugh, no small thumbnail option...

PS, at 50" she can ride everything in the park.

YourPhoto_0001.thumb.JPG.16a37befc4abaf2762cd7160547f18a0.JPG

First ride

YourPhoto_0002.thumb.JPG.c6c80d1bad07e8b5ea83454630410ffd.JPG

It was chilly that November day

YourPhoto_0003.thumb.JPG.c8349245d456b935879d97e8cc9e89cd.JPG

Second ride

YourPhoto_0004.thumb.JPG.089e0e6901c17df3e8bfc5901d6b48ce.JPG

Much colder that evening

500364136_Dollywood-TheExperience-DOLLY-DollywoodWildEagleSecondCamera-id169312646_withBorder.thumb.jpg.e4c8d243761a2f8e3e0820a3f5780ca5.jpg

June 2016, 3.5 years later.

"The victim was the front passenger of a double ride sled and was thrown from the sled."

Odd, I didn't think they let adults ride tandem like that.

As long as your combined weight is under 375 pounds in dry conditions (330 wet weather).