TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

This might be a little redundant but is it still in technical rehearsal "mode"? I know the website says so but from what I'm gathering on here, it's been running pretty consistently at full capacity all day besides for one break down.

Edited by bluestreak

Just because a ride is running doesn't mean it's "open" as such. If anything, the "technical rehearsal" is just as much about the ride's operators, in how they deal with the guests, the procedures for loading and dispatching the train, and other things. If they wanted to just "run" the ride they'd fill the cars up with water dummies and be done with it.

TOTALLY my fault, because I keep coming to this thread every time I see it bumped.

but sheesh, the sense of entitlement is just astounding -- and is really unlike what I've seen over the years i've been coming to TPR.

seriously, who gives a crap if LR is up or down? Dollywood seems to be a beautiful park I (and is on my bucket list to make it to some day). . go enjoy the rest of the park, and if the new coaster is open? great.

If not, stop bitching about it and go enjoy other things in the park.

(steps down off soapbox).

This might be a little redundant but is it still in technical rehearsal "mode"? I know the website says so but from what I'm gathering on here, it's been running pretty consistently at full capacity all day besides for one break down.

I wouldn't go as far to say "consistently" yet. It's down again. When it's open it does really well and then *poof* it's gone. It also seems to take a long time to dispatch a train as the trains stack for several minutes.

It's worth the wait - but for now you are going to wait.

EDIT: Ok this is an extended down time now. Said they are making some major adjustments.

, who gives a crap if LR is up or down?

Do you really think it's unreasonable that people on a roller coaster forum would be discussing whether a major new roller coaster (and one of the best in the world) is running reliably or not so they can try and ride it this summer?

The wife and I went on the 5th of July last year and it was dead the whole day. We're going back this year hoping for a repeat.

Are you going the 5th? If so, I'll see what day my family is going and maybe meet up?

, who gives a crap if LR is up or down?

Do you really think it's unreasonable that people on a roller coaster forum would be discussing whether a major new roller coaster (and one of the best in the world) is running reliably or not so they can try and ride it this summer?

THEME PARK forum.

but yes, there is a healthy appreciation of Roller Coasters here.

(there's also overall park discussions and Cruise Ship discussions).

But page after page of folks complaining it's up/ it's not up / is it up? and the "itwillneveropen" hashtag stuff?

yeah, I DO think that's unreasonable, and entitled.

but hey, that's just my 2cents.

Your mileage may (and does, apparently) vary.

I took blame, I totally realize I could avoid the thread, but I'm the one who clicks on it. After sitting on my hands for over a week, just wanted to voice my opinion on it.

TOTALLY my fault, because I keep coming to this thread every time I see it bumped.

but sheesh, the sense of entitlement is just astounding -- and is really unlike what I've seen over the years i've been coming to TPR.

seriously, who gives a crap if LR is up or down? Dollywood seems to be a beautiful park I (and is on my bucket list to make it to some day). . go enjoy the rest of the park, and if the new coaster is open? great.

If not, stop bitching about it and go enjoy other things in the park.

(steps down off soapbox).

I don't think I'm acting entitled at all. I'm just curious. Yes Dollywood is a fantastic, beautiful park aside from Lightning Rod, but when I come down to the park from Cleveland Ohio a couple weeks from now it would really suck if it was closed.

People don't want to be disappointed. I fact, they want to avoid disappointment whenever possible. So if it takes asking on a theme park forum if the ride is open to find out, that's what people are going to do. It's more annoying, to me, to have people keep saying that Dollywood is amazing yada yada even without Lightning Rod yada yada so just go... Uh, no, you better believe that people are going to do their damnedest to try to be at the park - when the headlining new ride that everyone who has ridden said it was amazeballs - is open.

^^--

Dollywood may a be a great park, but a one-of-a-kind new coaster makes a difference how much people are willing to go through to get there, For example, a few pages back, someone cancelled a $1200 trip. If I ever make it down there, it will be a once in a lifetime trip, so if a ride's not running I will never get to ride it.

That said, as Lightning Rod is not a people eater coaster (I think), a true and prudent plan to travel and ride it would be near the end of this season, or next year, and that doesn't even take into account them having trouble with it.

If that is all anyone is going to Dollywood for, just wait. Go when it's fully operational. It's not going to kill ya'll to wait. After all. unless you are on your death bed....

I believe we are. Who here is not waiting?

This year is the only year I'll be able to go for a number of years... I'd rather take my chances a couple weeks from now instead of waiting 5+ years. Again, I was just curious about the situation today...

If that is all anyone is going to Dollywood for, just wait. Go when it's fully operational. It's not going to kill ya'll to wait. After all. unless you are on your death bed....
I am not so sure that's the best advice at your age, LOL. You can't have to many years left at 101!

I believe we are. Who here is not waiting?

Me. Once it was officially announced as "open", I took the chance and drove 12h to visit the area. Even though it suffered extended downtime on the two days we visited, I got two rides in on what became my #2 woodie. It is that awesome!

I frequented Lightning Rod all day and it barely operated at all today.

They had two trains at opening and it basically immediately went down and stayed down. Reopened mid afternoon back at one train and kept breaking down after just a few circuits then went down eventually for the rest of the day. I managed one front row ride.

It was one train ops and barely operated at all. Far from full operations. Hopefully they fix the problems soon... (I feel like we've said that for so long now). At least the ride is great!!!

This has to be a PR nightmare for the park. I heard a lot of complaining waiting for the tram back to the lots.

Oh no no. According to this thread there are NO PR nightmares and saying anything negative is insulting and whining. This park and RMC has gotten the biggest "get out of jail free" card on this NOT DEBACLE.

Is anyone at the park today? LR status?

I decided not to go this morning and I may be going to Splash Country unless Lightning Rod is working at all today. After yesterday I'm not holding my breath but I'd definitely go for a third ride!