TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was at the park today aND talked with the person outside. She said that there were shipping issues with the replacement parts and they got them on yesterday. It was closed today so they could let it run and look for any errors. She did say there was some sort of possibility it could open the next couple days but that if it didn't open with the park it probably wouldn't open that day.

Any news on Lightning Rod?

Yeah, but I keep getting different info depending on which employee/exec I ask… So I'm reluctant to share anything anymore. I CAN share that it didn't open with the park today...at least that much is true. ha

Dollywood does need to get it open ASAP though, because attendance appears to be way down. I was there twice last week and almost every ride was a walk on. I've never seen Dollywood that empty during the summer before. And I'm hearing that it's empty again today as well.

We're going next week as season pass holders for a third attempt at Lighting Rod (and to enjoy the park in general) but if it looks like it will still be down, we will most likely cancel and rebook (maybe) later at the Dreammore resort. I have a feeling that is starting to happen with others - resulting in lost or delayed revenue. Hate to see it, and I know its "unavoidable" but this big boost may have become their "albatross around the neck" this year - especially when you look at the projections that I'm sure they made with LR being factored in as a driver. I have a feeling their % increases are going to be WAY off plan this season. My concern for the park is that yes, they will get it running consistently (?) some day, but the initial ROI will be lost. Im sure not many people are buying Lighting Rod t-shirts to commemorate their "standing and looking at the structure"

Im sure not many people are buying Lighting Rod t-shirts to commemorate their "standing and looking at the structure"

This is the entire reason I haven't bought any Lightning Rod merchandise this year on any of my visits. It would feel weird to buy a shirt for a roller coaster that I haven't been on. I'll by making another attempt in a month to ride Lightning Rod.

Im sure not many people are buying Lighting Rod t-shirts to commemorate their "standing and looking at the structure"

This is the entire reason I haven't bought any Lightning Rod merchandise this year on any of my visits. It would feel weird to buy a shirt for a roller coaster that I haven't been on. I'll by making another attempt in a month to ride Lightning Rod.

I'm in the opposite situation. I got to ride it once somehow, and now I see my Lightning Rod mug as a cool collectors item. I will look back in 10 years at it and remember, man remember that insanity that revolved around it in 2016?!

Once Lightning Rod gets open consistently enough to not have to worry, I'm totally finding an excuse to get to DW. I owe them another chance, and one where they have the lineup to compete with other parks thrill-wise. LR brings them up a ton in that category and will make my mood a little better since the entire park (including staff) had a sort of depressed vibe because of it not being open.

Not sure if anyone else found this funny or not, but when the front page loads the graphics says lightning rod is closed at the request of RMC and so on. It then says click here for more info. When you click the more info button it brings up a new box telling you the same thing you just read with out anymore info.

image.thumb.png.a43509f922475e97faff5b6ee0ceaa3a.png

This the screen you get when you pull up the website

image.thumb.png.a43509f922475e97faff5b6ee0ceaa3a.png

This the screen you get when you pull up the website

image.thumb.png.37cd8ab9e2c8649534660516b001f8ce.png

This what you get when you click on more info. Lol

AND WE'RE UP AND STEADY AGAIN! SORRY GUYS.

So is lightning rod fully operational now with two trains running? Are the issues of the last delay solved now? Wonder when the park takes down the "closed" banner from their webpage...

Got a ride on tonight...was on the first train after reopening! They only had one running at reopening at around 7. After riding this was crazy. The energy of everyone riding was beyond amazing and surreal. I cannot believe I was blessed enough to get a ride on the last night of my trip. That was one of the best rides I've ever ridden. Ladies and gentlemen, Lightning Rod is back